Wednesday, October 15

Listening to Chris Tomlin - In The Secret

This song was originally done by SonicFlood, one of those rock Christian Band. It was originally a loud rock praise song. Yet I only learnt of this version, the slow worship one in MGS. It is exactly the same lyrics, just that its sung slower, that's all. It seems to me that this song is very popular with MGS girls. Why? Because everytime Praise and Worship is lead by some MG girl during CF in ACJC, inevitably, this song will come up. Not to mention that they sung it on Love MGS on both years I've attended as well as the combined ACS-MGS Christian Fellowship camp. Too odd a coincidence to dismiss.

I want to Know You
I want to hear Your Voice
I want to know You more
I want to touch You
I want to see Your Face
I want to know You more


Then Ms See (The Christian Ministry Staff at MGS) told me quite bluntly, and it got me thinking on the role of contemporary Christian praise/worship songs:

"You can sing that to a girl and you won't even know the difference". How true indeed. But I guess as long as it comes from the heart, its not the lyrics that matter, its our heart of worship. Then again, shouldn't we sing songs that are rooted strongly in doctrine as well as faith and not rely in wishy-washy feeling/emotional types of lyrics? Much food for thought indeed. Pastor Barnarbas, resident pastor at ACJC once told me that we have to be careful at times what songs we sing to God, as some are no more different than secular love songs you can listen to on the radio. Ah, hymns are still the best!

I'm supposed to be on duty again. But when I woke up this morning, as my foot struck the ground, I felt a sharp pain in the toe. Ah, ingrown toenail - again. I think I had one ingrown toenail in Tracom (Police Academy) as well as one during MPC, during my attachment with the elite Coastal Patrol Squadron. Its painful man.

So I reported sick. The first time in like 3 months. Dad sent me to the polyclinic and at 7.30 in the morning, there are people QUEUEING AT THE LOCKED GATE ALREADY! And it was raining. The cool weather was a plus, but that meant that Dad insisted that I lug along a heavy company golf umbrella, much to the amusement of all the old men and women queueing up.

Its really slow at the Polyclinic. Too much time is spent waiting, seriously. And the doctor tries to take the shortest possible amount of time to see you, given that he has to see at least 200 patients a day. I waited for about 40 minutes and the doctor chased me away within slightly over 1 minute. But what to do? Its the cheapest form of medical care around, plus its free for NSmen. I remember my days in Tracom, where they would send sick trainees to the Toa Payoh Polyclinic for medical attention, since the waiting time was SO LONG, we could register first and then just go out and eat lunch, do some shopping, and for the rest, smoke and then head back to carry on waiting for the doctor.

I got 2 days MC. So I'll be off work today, tomorrow, free on, Friday and Saturday. Its like a little holiday for me. Already my Monday this week was an off day. If not for yesterday's in-service, I would have one whole week's break, ending with a day shift on Sunday (cannot go church again!). Its very seldom that I report sick so I'll just consider this as a short break from me from the drudgery of work on the sea.

As with the silly policies on the base, I had to make my way there to submit my MC. And somehow, I became one of the 'victims" that had to go through a thorough security screening! There were lots of senior officers around observing the new security arrangements, but seriously. Who cares about. If I sign on, I can easily equal, if not supersede their rank upon joining the force. All these small fry act so big. Aiyah, just get Geoffrey's father to pay the base a visit and they'll be like little chickens in front of his father. ASP or DSP is NOTHING when his dad's rank is like 6 to 7 notches higher rank-wise and about 17 promotion stages higher!

So yeah. I expect the base to "call and see if I am at home". Even the army does this, hoping really hard to charge people on MC for AWOL. But they didn't know I'm just a lifeless person who sits in front of the computer the whole day and enjoys it. If not, I just enjoy being alone, avoiding crowds and having fun at home.

As for Jolene. I love sad piano songs very much. I'm a rather emotionless person with a taste for music that is vastly different from like 99.95% the rest of the world. Hello? Who here reading this listens to 1920s Jazz? Sad piano songs are like a mellow expression of the art of imparting emotions via music. You can literally FEEL the sadness. Ah, its hard to put into words once again.

As for long posts in the comments box. I'm so fine with it. If fact, I like long comments! I don't think the system will crash even if you posted like a 1000 word essay there. Haloscan is more stable than most other comments box servers. And yeah, my blog isn't exactly interesting. Its very much self-absorbed ranting and raving and the blogging of complete utter nonsense. Just look at the earlier entries in my archives. How nonsensical they can get - worthy of being put on talkingcock.com. Perhaps I should contribute articles to that site as well, since Colin Goh is always looking for more ACS boys to join him in the "Ri banging fray".

As for Eda, Cherie and Cheryl. Wow. They're all from the same class and they're all like youth leaders in their churches or something if I am not wrong. I only knew about this girl called "Eda" on the day the A level results were released. I sat next to her at this Thanksgiving Service held in the New Canteen with Winston Chin as worship leader.

As for Cherie, she's a damn nice girl who is like a very very good friend of one of my ex-class girls, who left to study in England. I think she got into NUS Medicine if I am not wrong. Another GEPster by some accounts. And as for Cheryl. She's my sec1-4 ACS(Barker) classmate's church friend. I met her when I was slacking with my classmate in PJC during the first 3 months. I didn't know how smart she was until I ended up in ACJC and everyone was going like "Cheryl from 2SC1 is damn smart!". Hahahaha.

David Lanz is good stuff. I like Kevin Kern too. Though I don't know many new age classical pianists around. For me, I too am happy listening to Chopin, Bach, Beethoven and all the great composer's works as long as it is played on the piano. They are simply fantastic. Ok, I have to get my university applications in order. Another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home