Sunday, October 12

Listening to The Passion Worship Band - God of Wonders

This is a long post. I have many things to ramble about.

This used to be my favorite Christian song when I was in my first month of JC2. The original version was done by Cademon's Call. Fantastic. As much as alot of Singaporean Christians croon to Hillsongs Songs, its always good to listen to outside sources of Christian Music.

Likewise, we should never shut the door on Christian Hymns because they are "so slow", "dull", "boring", "dry", "uninspiring", "old fashioned". LLW (my Police Academy + Police Coast Guard Buddy) always wonders how I can get away by singing through Hymns. He too is a rather mature Christian, yet I can't explain to him in words how beautiful Hymns are.

John Wesley is the founder of Methodism. Without that one guy. There is no ACS, NO MGS (oh no!), no Methodist Church. Nothing! And his brother CHARLES WESLEY is noted to be amongst the greatest composers of Hymns. And I fully agree. Never look down on old Hymns! There is so much history seeped into the music as well as lyrics. And they offer an "olden days form of worship" perspective for an unchanging God. Some of the lyrics hit really hard because they are simply so honest. Full of strong solid doctrine as well as God-centeredness in the lyrics.

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

- And Can It Be That I Should Gain, Charles Wesley, 1738


This was probably his greatest Hymn ever composed in Charles Wesley's lifetime. It constantly reminds us of our position in Christ - something that we should not, should never ever take for granted. And it was composed 265 years ago! #1 Songs on the billboard don't last for more than 10 weeks and are soon forgotten. This song has been sung in Churches worldwide for 265 years! How then, can we say that Hymns are "no good" and "not worthy to be sung"? Think! The language an imagery is so beautiful! Charles Wesley single-handedly composed more than 6000 Hymns for the Methodist Church alone - and we used to think that the "United Methodist Hymnal" that stared at us back during Chapel at Barker was too thick! How dissapointed John would be if he saw that out of 6000 Hymns, we only sing like 60.

John Wesley really inspires me. I cannot believe the fact that he single-handedly preached 40 000 sermons in his lifetime - an average of 3 a day! One interesting thing to note: John Wesley only slept from 12 midnight till 4a.m in the morning in Oxford, where he started his group of much scorned "Methodists". How disciplined a lifestyle! For whatever I've learned about his lifestyle - it is truly exemplary as a Christian. So I should only sleep 4 hours a day, then spend perhaps an hour or so in prayer before the day starts. Its just a thought. Now how to put it into action?

There is much to say about John Wesley. I hope to be able to read his biography sometime soon, as well as any Christian Books he has ever written. The man who single-handedly brought revival to England and avoided the revolutionary-bloodshed sweeping the rest of Europe must have many things to say to this fallen generation. We are a messed up generation in need of the Power of Word of God to straighten out all the kinks and hockles in society. But how are we going to do that? That's a question as well...

commentary about the commentary I - This one's for mei

=hugs= mei.

Oh. I am so ready for the pain. I know its inevitable. I used to complain and gripe last time. But no more. Now I can't even be bothered to gripe and complain. I just let it be! Cast it to the Lord! Hahahahaha! Or should I say, dump it on God? Dump seems to be a better word since its kinda hard to "cast" a heavy burden away - its much easier to "dump" it though.

As for Pro 3:5-6. When I was in ACPS (NOT ACS Primary!), From Primary 1 till Primary 4, when we made the big move to Barker. This verse was in a long banner that stretched across the canteen. I would see it everyday at assembly. Everyday without fail. When I was young. I couldn't even understand what was "trust" and what was "make your path straight". Now I understand.

We walk a walk of Faith. The road narrow and winding and really easy to get lost, much easier to give up on and chose the wide path to destruction. But if we walk by Faith and not by sight, we are literally putting all our trust in God, who will then make the winding path straight for us. And it is certainly easier to walk on a straight path than a winding one, because you can see what's far ahead. And its not what's far ahead that matters. Its Who. Its Jesus. He's at the end of the narrow winding path, but when we trust completely in Him, the path will look straight and we can see Him - our final destination. Easier to navigate and you can't get lost!

Yeah. That's how I roughly understand it. I'm not a super Bible school student or a Charles or an Aunty Ros - this is just how I see it from my limited spiritual maturity. Well of course, I'm always open to alternative interpretations. But whatever it is, just trust in the Lord with all your heart. That's for sure. Just trust! Don't bother if it makes sense or not! Just trust!

Surprisingly. I don't feel sad anymore. I've dumped everything I can to God already. It really feels like a heavy burden has been lifted off me. So yeah I'm really happy. Yes. Though things are still very bad from the secular front. Spiritually, I'm fine. I might have been shaken a little. But now my foundations are even stronger. And I chose to look on the positive side of every negative circumstance. I chose life. Not death. =)

Ya mei. Come back soon. We'll go for a drink together and catch up like the last time! Yeah, just that this time it'll be something towards Red Wine rather than Ice-Blended Coffee! As much as I don't want to go to a pub. I guess perhaps we'll go to Somerset's Bar - The one at the Swissotel that plays very fine live jazz music. Nico highly recommends the place to me. No harm I guess since Nico's the kind of guy that can't stand pubs as well. He prefers classy chilling out lounges instead. We have much catching up to do...

Till then. I'll wait. Patiently.

As for En. I don't know what to make of haing you post the song "Because He Lives" with the chords! I didn't know my comments box supported chords as well! hahaha! One thing to note is that I gave up the guitar on the F-Chord. I can't play it for NUTS sake! ASk me to change from a D to a G and I'll just die. Seriously. I can't even press a G-Chord on the guitar - I am THAT BAD. If an instrument has strings on it, I am destine never to play it as much as if a sport has a ball in it, I can't play that sport for NUTS sake.

So yeah. I can't touch guitar, bass, double bass, violin,viola, cello, harp, etc. And I can't play soccer, tennis, basketball, squash, cricket, baseball etc. For nuts. Sad but true. How I wish I could play sports well and strum a guitar properly as well! But I really gave up at the F-Chord. It is too hard to press. I can't even bar properly after so many months practice. I really give up on the 6 stringed instrument. I just hope that I might be able to play piano, if not, then I'm truly muscially cannot-make-it.

As the Deer and OLD RUGGED CROSS are so nice! I wouldn't call it being "traditionalist" for singing Hymns to God. Its just that there are very few modern day Hymn composers. But what you say about the difference between Christian music and secular music is very true. Already I've been warned by other "traditionalists" that many of the Christian songs today have lyrics are are not so much as God-oriented, but more of "feeling oriented". Its very very very hard for me to explain this in words. So I can't elaborate here. But basically, I feel that there's too much pressure on the band to play well and for the singer to sing well rather than for the congregation to offer up their sacrifices of praise and their heart of worship. People ae increasinlgy relying on the music to experience God's presence by means of using talented musicians as well as people with great voices.

It shouldn't always be like this. Its not the song, but the heart that really matters. God looks straight into the heart. Aunty Ros once told me that she has been to one particular service where the musicans are terrible, the singer was off-key and out of tune but because people really sang with their hearts and not their voices, the presence of God filled the whole place tremendously. But of course, this doesn't mean we should play lousily or sing crappily. Its more of, offering your best to God, even if your "best" doesn't measure up to the standards of the world in terms of "good music".

As for worship based solely on Hymns. We shouldn't exactly shut out whatever songs are written for today. At the end of the day, as much as we should sing hymns because they tend to be much more solid in doctrine in the lyrics. We shouldn't close the door on modern Christian songs as well. I believe, as long as the lyrics are acceptable, the Christian basis of the song is solid and the song is God-centred. Its ok to be sung in Church. After all, its not the song that matters, its the heart. As important as the song we chose to sing must be in terms of "consistency" as well as "stability", at the end of the day. The true worship comes from our hearts when we worship in Spirit and in Truth. When the heart sings in worship. That's what God really wants from us.

newpaper

My mind is bursting with thoughts after today's Newpaper articles. I can't write them down here. Not only because I am very tired. But also because too many thoughts are coming at me from so many different directions. Like many things are linking up and joining up and gradually making sense. I'll write on this at a later date if I can.

kusu duty

Finally. I can write about my day. My so called duty on Kusu Island.

I woke up late today. I forgot to set my the morning call function on my handphone. Dad woke me up by knocking on the door. Then I rushed through my morning routine and got Dad to speed me all the way to base. I skipped breakfast and didn't even drink a drop of water before leaving the house. It was drizzling nicely and the weather was rather good.

My partner, this regular guy in my Team, whom I've known during the Marinetime Policing Course, this guy called Shadiq. We're rather good friends in the team since we're both new rookies to the whole idea of patrolling on the sea. Shadiq came late and was rushed to get his arms ready. Then we were sped away in a 3rd Gen boat at about 31 knots across the calm sea. The sea state was rather good.

Since its a weekend. The crowd on Kusu Island, that would be attending the annual pilgrimage was expected to be huge. Thus we had 4 other Voluntary Special Constabulary (VSC) Police Coast Guard officers to assist with the manpower. Most of the guys were really nice decent gentlmen in the 30s and 40s who enjoyed doing police work. So we had a grand total manpower of 6 people to "make police presence" felt on that 8 hectar island 5.6Km or 3.1 Nautical Miles south of Singapore. Its just a 20 minute journey for most of the devotees visiting the island via the Penguin High-Speed Ferries. For us, its a nice simple 8 minute journey cutting across the water. Coast Guard mah - can act like kings of the sea.

We got off at Kusu Island at about 8.10 in the morning. The island was already crowded with devotees. So We just chucked our stuff into the Police Post on the island, which we shared with the St. John's People and began our patrol duty. We just split into teams of 2 to walk around the various parts of the island and to ensure that there were no beggars as well as to be on the sharp lookout for pickpockets that would be targetting the elderly. As usual, I was teamed with Shadiq, since both of us are friends and the VSC's preferred to go and "do their own thing" together. No problems. we worked really well overall I'd say.

I got to walk around this island, which is revered to be a holy island for many people. Just got soaked into a little bit of its history. Its interesting to note that the person for whom the Horsburgh Ligthouse is named after, Mr. James Horsburgh, an eminent hydrographer to the East India Company once renamed Kusu Island to be "Goa Island" for some unknown reason.

There were many devotess around, some coming from Malaysia, Indonesia or even as faraway as China and Japan. At one point, it was so crowded, that despite having 5 ferries with capacities ranging from 100 to 280 persons to ferry the devotees back to Clifford Pier, the queue for the return trip just kept snaking longer and longer. At one point, tempers were frayed and there was this one man in his 50s that wanted to fight with the traffic marshall on the jetty. At that time, both Shadiq and I were on duty. And the joker wanted to beat up the traffic marshall just because there was not enough space to let his family of 10 go on the boat at one shot. Well, even with 2 policeman around he still wanted to fight the guy. So we shut him up by asking him to just take his entire family and go up the boat.

Some people never understand the value of patience. Even when their 50 years old. I think he'll have to pay the fine for overloading the boat. If the boat was caught by the MPA for exceeding the legal capacity, the fine would be quite heavy if I am not wrong. So Shadiq and I just took care of of the huge crowd on the jetty. With thousands coming in and going out at every instant. We receieved additional help from members of the Singapore Life Saving Society, who were on hand to save anyone who fell into the sea by accident. In the end, they ended up being small time human traffic marshalls as well as the guys who were working on the ponoon end of the jetty by pushing the steel steps frame in alignment with the ships exit door.

I did get to see some professional rope tying work at the jetty. All these men on the high-speed ferries are really good with mooring the ship to the bollards. They have much skill indeed. Plus the ropes they handle are much thicker, heavier and the forces encountered much greater than what I normally deal with already. One wrong move and they could have their entire hand crushed. They had some really neat rope tying tricks.

Other than that, I patrolled the island with Shadiq. We visited the Temple on the island, just walked through the sea of devotees and noted that there was no suspicious persons around or pickpockets. The temple was extremely crowded, so we could not walk through. We visted the Keramat on the island later on after climbing 152 steps up the little hill. Its amazing that some old women can climb up the steps and feel nothing when men half their age are breathless when they get to the top.

the keramat was very smoky, full of burning joss sticks left by devotees as well as those nicer scented ones. We just walked into the Keramat and it was terribly crowded and smoky and noisy. Like a pub, minus air filters plus 10x the number of smokers. My eyes got really really sore after the visit to the Keramat. Its intersting to note that majority of the people who come to the Keramat at Chinese Taoists who have earlier prayed at the temple.

As a policeman, we seemed to get lots of privileges here and there. When I bought drinks. The guy refused to charge us anything more than a dollar. As we're on an offshore island, the prices of things gets rather inflated (like on sentosa). But here, we were getting more for less. Shadiq, being a former divison policeman before he came to Coast Guard said it was the same out on the land as well. Its like hawkers tended to give me food as well as charge less.

This theory was so true. Later I bought some coconut juice, those freshly chopped coconuts? It was selling at 3.50 for one coconut. I got TWO at a DOLLAR! And the guy refused to take any payment more than a dollar! Then I went to get muah chee, which was selling at 2 bucks a packet. Somehow, they spent an extra long period of time on my pack and kept stuffing it with so much muah chee till the the plastic container had difficulty closing! Then for this other foodstall that was selling deep fried stuff. The guy quoted me 1.50 for a stick of deep friend chicken meat and in instant "revised" it to a "dollar only for you". Then I got free unlimited entry into the island toilets!

Shadiq went to get some rings from one of the other stalls and they girl at the counter charged him like 2.50 for two rings. When it was like 3.50 for one. She absolutely refused to take anything more than 2.50. Not even 3 dollars! Then the counter girl told us her stuff kept getting stolen. And it nothing would get lost when we were in the nearby vicinity of her shop whilst on patrol. So that was her way of thanking us. The people at the stalls are really nice to us. Shadiq says that policeman are still respected for the psychological deterrent they give with their presence so charging cheap prices for their wares/products is just one way of thanking us.

One thing to note. He's a Muslim. I'm a Christian. We both took leave on Saturday. We both didn't bother to stay up for the England vs Turkey soccer match since both of us have no interest in soccer while the rest of the team are die hard soccer fanatics and both of us are asked to take care of an event where the religious overtones are independent of our own personal beliefs. Shadiq's a very opened minded person. So while we were on the top of the Keramat he talked to me about Islam and I talked to him about Christianity. We just went to "compare" our "religions" (its a RELATIONSHIP for ME!) as well as answer questions we had pertaining to each of our "religions". More or less, I was able to answer most of his questions satifatorily so he was quite happy as well to finally find someone who could answer his queries about Christianity.

When I was in MPC, my instructor told me that if I ever ended up doing Kusu Duty. I'd enjoy it because I'd "get to see alot of pretty girls". I spent the whole day on the island and I saw nothing but old folk, middle-aged people and a few youngsters. After 12 hours of duty. I didn't "get to see alot of pretty girls". I just saw a handful. Maybe about 10 at the very most? For the 12,000 visitors today. that's like 1 in a thousand! Sigh! I go to church and all the girls are like so pretty! Nonsense man! Ok I'm being really shallow here so I shan't stay on this part for too long.

I got to walk on the sea bed at low tide. The tide today was very low indeed. It was so low that the water receeded past the breakwaters about 50 meters from the shore of the island. So i had a field day walking around on a part that is covered by water for about 12 hours a day in my police shoes that later became very dirty. Its not something I get to do everyday. The feeling was rather enjoyable and rather thrilling since its been a long time since I've walked on a beach - epecially on a part that is normally covered with water. I could still see fishes swimming in whatever shallow "streams" that were left on the sea bed. And I found one strage discovery: There were ant nests UNDERWATER! I don't know how to explain it. But I saw quite a number of ants crawling on a part very far from the shore with tiny holes nearby - like an underwater ants' nest!

And the thing I learnt today? After having to miss church? That I saw alot of lost people today. About 12,000 people came today. All lost and have not known my King. That's what I learnt today. There are still many lost people even right now in Singapore. The urge and the pressing need for local missions is as important as ever.

After which, we just checked that the island was empty before the last ferry left the island at 7. It was supposed to leave at 7, but it left at 6.45 instead - so that allowed for us to tuck into a short dinner while the VSCs disturbed the last few remaining devotees from China who were smoking near us. The VSCs kept joking an poking fun at these "China Girls" and all of them pointed at me and asked the ladied "to get my phone number call him and ask him to marry you since he's still single". Sigh... They just told me really bluntly in two phrases:

"China girl, can play one, no problem"
"China girls, good sluts, bad wives"

Food for thought indeed. So are they really gold diggers as many people make them out to be? What if they all became Christians and then returned back to China as undercover missionaries? Woudn't that make them less suspicious to the Chinese Communist Party as opposed to getting a foregin born Chinese to do the evangelising quietly? Interesting thought indeed.

Dinner was really bad. It was bee hoon and everyone knows I don't like bee hoon. So I didn't eat my dinner and gave my desser, a butter cake to the one of the island's resident dogs. The dog loved me after that and followed me around the place. Funny, the dog actually understoot me when I patted it and asked it to "go run off now". Hmmm....As much as like cats. I'll keep a dog when I live my single life in future. At least there's one "companion" that's rather loyal to you as long as you can give it food. I'll keep a nice German Sherperd or something at home.

Well, after dinner, we hitched a ride back to base on a 1st Gen Police Coast Guard craft. Its my first time on the 1st Gen boat. So we sat on the deck. They have chairs at the end and I just rode off enjoying the wind as well as the evening sky. Today's weather was really good. Overcast, cloudy, no rain and no sun. If it were hot, we'd expect more frayed tempers at the Jetty during peak hours, but thankfully so, today was an eventful and fun patrol - a different experience since I'm doing land duty like a division policeman, only on an off-shore island. I guess I'll only get to to this once a year, so till next year. I'll look forward to it again.

I wonder who read everything up to here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home