Listening to The Passion Worship Band - Grace Flows Down
I expected to just jot down a few thoughts here. But I see a wonderfully long commentary for me to "entertain". I really enjoy doing this I don't know why. I really wish more people would comment in my commentary/analysis box. Feedback and alternative perspectives are indeed tomes of knowledge in their own right.
I think God wants to show me something about tomorrows Kusu Island Guard Duty. Besides tying boats to the jetty I'll be standing by with a HK MP5 A4 just to "make police presence felt". Perhaps its just a total waste of my time, and that I can't go to church. But I nevertheless, I'll do it to the best of my ability. Since I'm supposed to do all things as though I'm doing them for my Lord. I think I'll be the only Christian on the entire island since the other guy I'm doing duty with is a Muslim and the whole thing is more or less a Buddhist Pilgrimage.
I can't serve God in Church tomorrow. I can't do ministry work either. But nevermind. Its ok. I'll miss a Church service with an overseas speaker, as well as the opportunity to serve God in ministry. Somehow, I feel a deep sense of fulfilment and happiness after serving in ministry - even though it is very tiring. Its like just a small contribution of my time as well as effort and energy to He who paid the ultimate price.
I didn't go for make up service today. Worst, I didn't even catch the broadcast on the Net! Sigh. Instead, I chose to meet up with two of my rather good friend from ACJC. One is Shingles, and the other is Mark. I haven't seen Mark since the Prom - almost 10 months already. Did I let God down by not putting Him first in this area? I think so.
In my life, its not very common that I meet up with friends. I could count all my friends with the ten fingers on my hands. So even meeting up with one of them occasionally is quite a big thing to me - something like an opportunity not to be missed. Mark especially, he's a rather good friend of mine since ACJC days. In his age group alone, he used to be a Chess Champion in upper secondary school, later in JC he was ranked second after his protege from ACS(I) beat him by a narrow margin in the Chess Championships. Even though he's so good with chess, he's really humble and does not even mention anything about it. I didn't even know till other people told me how good he was in chess.
We went to Wala-Wala's - the pub at Holland Village. Very popular. With great music to boot.
However, in my honest opinion. I don't really like to go to pubs/clubs/discos/nightspots. Its really not my kind of thing. I don't think being stuck in a smoky environment that sells drinks at rip-off prices and promotes worldliness is a "cool place" to begin with. Not to mention everytime I come out I reek terribly of cigarette smoke. I hate smoking. I hate the smell habit, and I hate the smell even more. Its "cool" to damage your health? Right.... Doesn't make much sense to me.
Besides, there's the drinks that go at rip-off prices. Its more worthwhile to give the money spent on a round of drinks for all to God than to just get drunk on spirits and compare who can drink more "graveyards" and stay sober. How childish. How silly indeed. Not that I can't drink - given mum and dad's genes. I can really drink. Not that I desire to boast, but after the Prom, I basically won the class vodka drinking competition. To me, drinking alcohol is like drinking orange juice. I don't get red in the face, I don't get drink easily and I can walk in a straight line after finish quite a quantity of alcohol. Its not worth wasting your life away on a couple of expensive drinks that only make your liver work overtime.
Didn't see any AC Girls at Wala-Wala's today, although some of the girls looked vaguely familiar to me. For me, I feel that nightspots are the WORST place to socialise. You get to know alot of people, no doubt, but you form amongst the most superficial friendships anywhere in society. Everything is on looks and how cool you are and how much money you can splurge on others on expensive drink and who can drink the most amount of alcohol and stay sober. Like little children fighting on the playground, all the "competition" is just an adult form of indirect pride and boastings. Sure, let them party, let them have fun for 24 hours with all the bar top dancing. At the end of the day, its rather pointless.
Well, it was the good band - The Unexpected Band. It was performing today. I have to admit that the musicians are all very talented. The drummer, bassist, guitarist and singer are all talented and very well versed in their craft in their own right. The music was rather good. The only interesting part was that Shingles requested to sing a song by Mr Big and requested to go up on stage to croon it to a crowd of unknown people.
And so he sang really loud, shouting into the microphone. Stressing his voice in a higher pitch than most guys can muster much to the amusement of the people in the room. It was quite good, a brave feat that I would not dare to do in a million years and he finished the song with much applause of appreciation. Best thing was that he didn't even warm up, he just went up, took the mike and sang. Interesting to note that he stepped on some wires wrongly before he started singing and that disconnnected the bass from the amplifier. So his first words in the microphone was an hilarious "sorry everyone...".
The band is really good, they just play like they've practised their craft for a very long period of time already. I love the sad, soulful melodies of Radiohead and Coldplay. To me, sad songs are more appropriate in a nightspot rather than upbeat and happy sounding techno/trance remixes. We sat on the first row, since we came rather early during the happy hour and managed to get a table. We were so close to the stage I could put my feet on it as a footstool substitute and could hear the actual strumming of the guitar without the amplifiers. One thing I really enjoy is live band concerts, no matter how good or lousy the band is - its worth listening to a song especially if it is performed live.
I left early, to fold my uniform and do the necessary preparations for tomorrow.
Somehow, I feel that I ought to have at least watched the service broadcast live on the Net rather than go to a pub. It would make more sense to have my presence at home, since most of the bickering happens when I'm not around. I feel guilty for the fact that things are really so gloomy and bad and sad at home I can go to a pub and try to act happy and joyful and "enjoy the night". I didn't tell either of them what was going on at home - its not fair to burden them with my worries and cares and concerns as well as spoil my friend's one and a half day worth of freedom from the army. Mark is in OCS, and Shingles in now in Artillery. I hope both of them excel in their postings in the army.
Perhaps its just another flaw in my character. Putting my friends before God. Its not that I do this all the time, just occasionally when a meet up with a friend is on during the weekend. Is this idolatery? I hope not. But I can't find any reasons to justify my actions as well. =(
I don't like sleeping at 11 and waking up at 6. It is simply not me. I'm the kind of person who prefers to sleep at 4a.m and wake up at 10 or 11. In university I hope to put all my classes to the afternoon. I study and learn best late at night into the wee hours of the morning. Besides, I'm more of a night owl rather than morning glory. I enjoy night time very much. Its peaceful, almost no crowds and just so simple and idealistic.
comments abou the commentary from En
Well, another long commentary for which I will comment about. =)
The C in ACS indeed stands for Christ. It is in RED, which signifies the Blood of Jesus. The Gold on one side of the crest and the Navy on the other half of the crest is linked together by the C, which symbolises how Jesus bridge the gap between Heaven and earth. A on the Gold side of the shielf stands for "Almighty God" and the S on the Navy side of the shield stands for "Sheep" or "Sheperd". Plus there is a fire behind the creature in the crest, signifying not just a fire of passion for learning, but for God as well. Most of the old ACS badges do not have the fire, it was only incorporated into the shield in 1999/2000. One noteworthy thing is that the C hooks through the A and touches the S. Christ brings us lost sheep to God Almighty. Yup, if I'm not wrong.
"...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me" - John 14:6
S also stands for Savior. He came to be our Savior to His flock of Lost Sheep and to Sheperd us. Alot of the things in the crest was explained to me by Aunty Ros, things that I never knew what the ACS Badge signifies. That is why it is so special, because no other school logo in this country is like it! And yeah, its shaped like a shield to signify the protection Jesus gives to us from the fiery darts of the wicked one. There is alot of significance in the creature as well, that I'll have to check it out another day. A long long long time ago when I was in Primary school, I heard, or was told that the school badge was actually a form of spiritual protection for us. I think this is rather flakey, put will just put it in as food for thought.
As for Prayer. It is true that what we pray will not return to us void. At the very least, God would have done something really small and probably unnoticeable. Even when He says a No to our requests, He still does something. Its hard to explain here in words, but I bear witness of it in my Spirit. As for how prayer affects a person's life. I think we can easily see that testimony in the Life of the current Christian Fellowship Prayer Coordinator - Nathaniel. I think he'd be so glad to share his testimony anytime regarding the importance of prayer.
As for blessings. Its true. Some are so obvious that I don't notice them anymore. Some I take for granted all the time. Seriously. I do feel the same way with you. Its really so easy to praise and thank God when everything's going great and fine and there are nice blue skies around. But throw in a couple of storms and then I too, am not so sure. Who know whether or not I will fall away in the midst of immense persecution? I can't even say that myself. Its not easy I'd say. But I have faith that God will never put me through a situation too tough for me to bear. He knows me through and through - so whatever trials we go through, we should just count it all joy. Even though things are really bad at home. I'm not in despair. Because God holds the future. I remember this old methodist hymn I used to sing in Barker.
Because He lives
I can face Tomorrow
Because He lives
All fear is gone
Because I know, I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just
because He lives
Is it a hymn or a song? I don't really remember. One things for sure. As much as I'm more of a Contemporary Christian Music person. I won't shirk away from hymns. They are too much a part of my Christian life as I grew up. Songs like How Great Thou Art and Can It Be That I Should Gain will be forever etched in the memory of my heart. They are truly, evergreen hymns. Amongst the greatest Christian songs ever composed.
As for personal attitude. No doubt nothing is impossible with God. But for this area. I feel its more of an uphill struggle that I must fight almost alone, relying on strength from God, no Godly intervention in this case. Change is good. But change takes time. Some changes certainly take much more time than others.
Time to rest. Be back in 24 hours.
I expected to just jot down a few thoughts here. But I see a wonderfully long commentary for me to "entertain". I really enjoy doing this I don't know why. I really wish more people would comment in my commentary/analysis box. Feedback and alternative perspectives are indeed tomes of knowledge in their own right.
I think God wants to show me something about tomorrows Kusu Island Guard Duty. Besides tying boats to the jetty I'll be standing by with a HK MP5 A4 just to "make police presence felt". Perhaps its just a total waste of my time, and that I can't go to church. But I nevertheless, I'll do it to the best of my ability. Since I'm supposed to do all things as though I'm doing them for my Lord. I think I'll be the only Christian on the entire island since the other guy I'm doing duty with is a Muslim and the whole thing is more or less a Buddhist Pilgrimage.
I can't serve God in Church tomorrow. I can't do ministry work either. But nevermind. Its ok. I'll miss a Church service with an overseas speaker, as well as the opportunity to serve God in ministry. Somehow, I feel a deep sense of fulfilment and happiness after serving in ministry - even though it is very tiring. Its like just a small contribution of my time as well as effort and energy to He who paid the ultimate price.
I didn't go for make up service today. Worst, I didn't even catch the broadcast on the Net! Sigh. Instead, I chose to meet up with two of my rather good friend from ACJC. One is Shingles, and the other is Mark. I haven't seen Mark since the Prom - almost 10 months already. Did I let God down by not putting Him first in this area? I think so.
In my life, its not very common that I meet up with friends. I could count all my friends with the ten fingers on my hands. So even meeting up with one of them occasionally is quite a big thing to me - something like an opportunity not to be missed. Mark especially, he's a rather good friend of mine since ACJC days. In his age group alone, he used to be a Chess Champion in upper secondary school, later in JC he was ranked second after his protege from ACS(I) beat him by a narrow margin in the Chess Championships. Even though he's so good with chess, he's really humble and does not even mention anything about it. I didn't even know till other people told me how good he was in chess.
We went to Wala-Wala's - the pub at Holland Village. Very popular. With great music to boot.
However, in my honest opinion. I don't really like to go to pubs/clubs/discos/nightspots. Its really not my kind of thing. I don't think being stuck in a smoky environment that sells drinks at rip-off prices and promotes worldliness is a "cool place" to begin with. Not to mention everytime I come out I reek terribly of cigarette smoke. I hate smoking. I hate the smell habit, and I hate the smell even more. Its "cool" to damage your health? Right.... Doesn't make much sense to me.
Besides, there's the drinks that go at rip-off prices. Its more worthwhile to give the money spent on a round of drinks for all to God than to just get drunk on spirits and compare who can drink more "graveyards" and stay sober. How childish. How silly indeed. Not that I can't drink - given mum and dad's genes. I can really drink. Not that I desire to boast, but after the Prom, I basically won the class vodka drinking competition. To me, drinking alcohol is like drinking orange juice. I don't get red in the face, I don't get drink easily and I can walk in a straight line after finish quite a quantity of alcohol. Its not worth wasting your life away on a couple of expensive drinks that only make your liver work overtime.
Didn't see any AC Girls at Wala-Wala's today, although some of the girls looked vaguely familiar to me. For me, I feel that nightspots are the WORST place to socialise. You get to know alot of people, no doubt, but you form amongst the most superficial friendships anywhere in society. Everything is on looks and how cool you are and how much money you can splurge on others on expensive drink and who can drink the most amount of alcohol and stay sober. Like little children fighting on the playground, all the "competition" is just an adult form of indirect pride and boastings. Sure, let them party, let them have fun for 24 hours with all the bar top dancing. At the end of the day, its rather pointless.
Well, it was the good band - The Unexpected Band. It was performing today. I have to admit that the musicians are all very talented. The drummer, bassist, guitarist and singer are all talented and very well versed in their craft in their own right. The music was rather good. The only interesting part was that Shingles requested to sing a song by Mr Big and requested to go up on stage to croon it to a crowd of unknown people.
And so he sang really loud, shouting into the microphone. Stressing his voice in a higher pitch than most guys can muster much to the amusement of the people in the room. It was quite good, a brave feat that I would not dare to do in a million years and he finished the song with much applause of appreciation. Best thing was that he didn't even warm up, he just went up, took the mike and sang. Interesting to note that he stepped on some wires wrongly before he started singing and that disconnnected the bass from the amplifier. So his first words in the microphone was an hilarious "sorry everyone...".
The band is really good, they just play like they've practised their craft for a very long period of time already. I love the sad, soulful melodies of Radiohead and Coldplay. To me, sad songs are more appropriate in a nightspot rather than upbeat and happy sounding techno/trance remixes. We sat on the first row, since we came rather early during the happy hour and managed to get a table. We were so close to the stage I could put my feet on it as a footstool substitute and could hear the actual strumming of the guitar without the amplifiers. One thing I really enjoy is live band concerts, no matter how good or lousy the band is - its worth listening to a song especially if it is performed live.
I left early, to fold my uniform and do the necessary preparations for tomorrow.
Somehow, I feel that I ought to have at least watched the service broadcast live on the Net rather than go to a pub. It would make more sense to have my presence at home, since most of the bickering happens when I'm not around. I feel guilty for the fact that things are really so gloomy and bad and sad at home I can go to a pub and try to act happy and joyful and "enjoy the night". I didn't tell either of them what was going on at home - its not fair to burden them with my worries and cares and concerns as well as spoil my friend's one and a half day worth of freedom from the army. Mark is in OCS, and Shingles in now in Artillery. I hope both of them excel in their postings in the army.
Perhaps its just another flaw in my character. Putting my friends before God. Its not that I do this all the time, just occasionally when a meet up with a friend is on during the weekend. Is this idolatery? I hope not. But I can't find any reasons to justify my actions as well. =(
I don't like sleeping at 11 and waking up at 6. It is simply not me. I'm the kind of person who prefers to sleep at 4a.m and wake up at 10 or 11. In university I hope to put all my classes to the afternoon. I study and learn best late at night into the wee hours of the morning. Besides, I'm more of a night owl rather than morning glory. I enjoy night time very much. Its peaceful, almost no crowds and just so simple and idealistic.
comments abou the commentary from En
Well, another long commentary for which I will comment about. =)
The C in ACS indeed stands for Christ. It is in RED, which signifies the Blood of Jesus. The Gold on one side of the crest and the Navy on the other half of the crest is linked together by the C, which symbolises how Jesus bridge the gap between Heaven and earth. A on the Gold side of the shielf stands for "Almighty God" and the S on the Navy side of the shield stands for "Sheep" or "Sheperd". Plus there is a fire behind the creature in the crest, signifying not just a fire of passion for learning, but for God as well. Most of the old ACS badges do not have the fire, it was only incorporated into the shield in 1999/2000. One noteworthy thing is that the C hooks through the A and touches the S. Christ brings us lost sheep to God Almighty. Yup, if I'm not wrong.
"...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me" - John 14:6
S also stands for Savior. He came to be our Savior to His flock of Lost Sheep and to Sheperd us. Alot of the things in the crest was explained to me by Aunty Ros, things that I never knew what the ACS Badge signifies. That is why it is so special, because no other school logo in this country is like it! And yeah, its shaped like a shield to signify the protection Jesus gives to us from the fiery darts of the wicked one. There is alot of significance in the creature as well, that I'll have to check it out another day. A long long long time ago when I was in Primary school, I heard, or was told that the school badge was actually a form of spiritual protection for us. I think this is rather flakey, put will just put it in as food for thought.
As for Prayer. It is true that what we pray will not return to us void. At the very least, God would have done something really small and probably unnoticeable. Even when He says a No to our requests, He still does something. Its hard to explain here in words, but I bear witness of it in my Spirit. As for how prayer affects a person's life. I think we can easily see that testimony in the Life of the current Christian Fellowship Prayer Coordinator - Nathaniel. I think he'd be so glad to share his testimony anytime regarding the importance of prayer.
As for blessings. Its true. Some are so obvious that I don't notice them anymore. Some I take for granted all the time. Seriously. I do feel the same way with you. Its really so easy to praise and thank God when everything's going great and fine and there are nice blue skies around. But throw in a couple of storms and then I too, am not so sure. Who know whether or not I will fall away in the midst of immense persecution? I can't even say that myself. Its not easy I'd say. But I have faith that God will never put me through a situation too tough for me to bear. He knows me through and through - so whatever trials we go through, we should just count it all joy. Even though things are really bad at home. I'm not in despair. Because God holds the future. I remember this old methodist hymn I used to sing in Barker.
Because He lives
I can face Tomorrow
Because He lives
All fear is gone
Because I know, I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just
because He lives
Is it a hymn or a song? I don't really remember. One things for sure. As much as I'm more of a Contemporary Christian Music person. I won't shirk away from hymns. They are too much a part of my Christian life as I grew up. Songs like How Great Thou Art and Can It Be That I Should Gain will be forever etched in the memory of my heart. They are truly, evergreen hymns. Amongst the greatest Christian songs ever composed.
As for personal attitude. No doubt nothing is impossible with God. But for this area. I feel its more of an uphill struggle that I must fight almost alone, relying on strength from God, no Godly intervention in this case. Change is good. But change takes time. Some changes certainly take much more time than others.
Time to rest. Be back in 24 hours.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home