Thursday, November 20

Listening to Jars of Clay - Love Song for a Savior (accordion remix)

A simple day at patrol. The crew set was rather good and work was not too boring. Just the right amount of activity. For starters, the weather was rather bad earlier in the day. Choppy waves and poor visibility. My crew commander let me steer the boat to build my confidence in steering in poor visibility conditions.

As he was rather slack, I did quite alot of steering today in bad weather. The sky was overcast with grey clouds and the sea the color of murky green. Some sailing boats lost their way in the poor visibility and we had to guide them back to their sea sports centre.

I should have taken up sailing in my JC days. Just one or two young persons onboard, responsible for their lives. I like the idea. I think motorised boats are a waste of time. It takes much skill as well as confidence and navigational knowledge to properly manoeuvre a small sailing boat. The sun, the sand and the sea. All to myself. The uncertainty of the wind is truly an exciting factor. Perhaps I'll take up sailing in future just for fun.

My crew commander just sat in one corner and read his newspapers. He even bought me ice cream. Earlier in the day, he handed me a bag which had a bottle of coke. So I placed it in the fridge. Only to realise much later that I had put his cigarettes into the fridge as well. It was highly amusing when he took out a packet of frozen cigarettes from the fridge. Later towards dusk, I was allowed to steer in the dark, to build my night time steering confidence. Its not easy given my poor eyesight and the abundance of distracting background lighting.

The cabin was really cold. So cold that one a reservist onboard could not sleep in the cabin for more than 2 hours. After which, he just sat on the bow of the boat in a jacket to warm up. And he sat there for about an hour. My crew commander also felt that the helmsroom was too cold, so he too ended up sitting on the bow to warm up. And me? I my arms were covered fully in goose pimples when I was steering the boat. Our air conditioner is so cold it feels like an autumn in New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home