Wednesday, November 12

Listening to Vineyard Worship - You Laid Aside Your Majesty

Been watching all varieties of Final Fantasy videos. There is this generally very sad overtone in the music as well as all the videos. If unrequited love is sad, then true lovers separted for eternity is even sadder. Final Fantasy is just the computer gaming world's equivalent expression of what practically all people desire in their lives. That is, to love and to be loved. A simple, pure and true love.

Tidus and Yuna, Jamie and Landon, Jack and Rose. How picture perfect and idealistic is the simple utopic love that they seemingly underscore under unique circumstances. Seemingly, after my short stint in ACJC, it seems that many of the people that I know have their own personal heart rendering, tear jerking Final Fantasy story. Just that it is locked within the deep recesses of their heart, forcefully suppressed by the need to remain "strong" and to upkeept a "macho" image.

I realise that it is not so easy to blog on honest topics of reflection in an instant. It requires a little foreknowledge as well as thought. It certainly beats constantly rambling on about my own day in a self-centered narcissistic manner. Deep thought as well as comprehension and analysis should be the norm of a person nearing the age of a fully grown adult. Ranting, raving as well as ramblings are certainly out of sync in a higher level of maturity of thought.

After meeting up with T-Squared today and having a browse through the various libraries and bookshops in Orchard. I realise that my taste of heavily science centered books is slowly waning. I am beginning to take a seemingly greater interest in well written pieces of fine literature. The art is in the writing as well as the communication process by means of using simple words and imagery to convey complex notions and ideas. I certainly would prefer to "downgrade" on using too much vocabulary in my writings in favour of using just plain laymen language, simple sentence structure to bring forth deep understanding. Notably, Nobel prize winners in literature are not the ones who use the most difficult vocabulary or complex sentences. Rather, the focus in on good communication by means of words.

I would gladly try to practise the art of communication by means of reflective posts on my blog in future. I am contemplating a move off to my own domain powered by MovableType. I just hope I do not get lost in the myraid of Perl script codes. Of course, I could host a blog for T-Squared. He is able to write very well, consistently topping the class in general paper essays back in JC. In the meantime, I will busy myself by reading the fine works of well recognised prose writers and study the various manners of expression using words.

Church was yet again, a wonderful time of praise and worship. Ironically, today's seminar was about the family and our overseas speaker once again drove home many Biblical points of authority on family which certainly rattled quite a few rigid mindsets that our rather confucianist value influenced society chooses as foundation. As it was meant for the adults, my presence could count for one of the very few young adults having no exams in the sanctuary. More to follow over the next two days.

With regards to my choice of university majors. My Dad has dissuaded me from taking on engineering as a major. Previously, I was raring to enter the Mechanical Engineering course in NUS, believing that it held rather good prospects as well as equipping me with skills that I wanted. Later I realised that with the greater emphasis on the Life Science, and having not done biology, I was stuck in a ruck. The gahmen has been championing the need for even greater numbers of engineering students, citing a constant shortage in the industries.

With the advent of China, many industries will certainly shift to the mainland as the labour costs are much lower. In addition, the Chinese Academy of Sciences as well as the various Chinese Institutes of Technology churn out much better students with a greater hardworking ethic as well as lower labour cost as compared directly with engineering graduates from NUS and NTU. Further, as the emphasis is now towards Life Sciences, the engineering will slowly be neglected to negation over a period of time. Even with simple economic analysis, how many engineers can the industries accept with 2000 fresh graduates coming out every single year? How long can one keep that particular job in an unstable economy? Not to mention, many graduates nowadays come out with bleak job prospects. I do not believe in the gahmen's propaganda, rather, I think there is too much an outflow of engineering students.

I do not feel engineering to be a "safe course" in my opinion. Dad asks me very honestly if I would like to be doing the same thing everyday for the next 30 years of my life. Or simply put, can I see myself being an engineer many years down the road? The answer is simply no. Dad advises me not to follow the herd mentality and to end up a drop of water in an ocean of graduates with similar knowledge. The knowlege based economy require diversity and adaptability. Engineering seemingly locks you into one particular profession. Even with the add-on MBA, companies still prefer to hire BBA graduates with an MBA, citing more relevant studying time.

Hence I've chosen to go onto the less beaten path.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home