Thursday, November 6

Listening to Hillsongs - All The Heavens

Mastery

Mastery. Full commmand and control of a consumate skill or subject of study. A very interesting word that probably applies to our lives all around. I've learnt over the course of time that it is easier to master a difficult subject, a musical instrument, a skill or a unique ability than to actually master our emotions.

People take medication, see psychiatrists, visit psychologists, attend all kinds of talks, join various types of support groups and lead their lives in a particular manner. All in the attempt to master our various human emotions and their effects in our life. Emotions are like a double-edged sword, sometimes they make us feel great, other times, are just plain destructive in their consequences. It is not easy to master our emotions.

I feel that it is an important attribute for Christians to develop mastery of their emotions in their character. There will be many dissapointments, many sad moments, tiredness, suffering, pain as well as lack that will bring about situations where our emotions will spring forth from our normally calm demeanour and into destructive drives of wrong character. I realise that at times of weakness in my life, it is almost always exclusively my emotions that are the multiplying factor that makes things worse. To the extent that when I think back on them, I feel so ashamed of the past at times.

Truly, it is no easy task to be a master of our various feelings.

Ok

Ok! so that was really out of point. I just thought out of that while I was half asleep on the bendy bus journey home. The driver was like accelerating harshly, then braking hard. So that two point in the journy, my head actually thrust forward and got stuck between the window and the seat of the chair in front of me. I found it more funny than painful.

Well, patrol was very simple last night, I was on a 2nd Gen boat. Thus, over the course of 2 days, I have boarded and patrolled with all three different generations of Police Coast Guard patrol boats. Notwithstanding, the 3rd Gen is my favourite since its just so advanced.

I actually made a big screw up yesterday, which was that I brought the wrong police station diary onto the boat. My crew commander only spotted my mistake after I had completed diarying down the details of our patrol. I think in the army, I'd just be a dead duck for "writing a false report". Thank God, my crew commander wasn't even angry. He was laughing at my silly mistake! The whole crew set found it more amusing rather than troublesome to get another boat to head back to base to pick up our station diary for us. Well, I am famously blur at times and forever making silly little mistakes that everyone just seems to tolerate on the basis that it is funny. I wonder why.

We checked two bumboats yesterday, they are very similar to those you see inside clifford pier or those that ply the Singapore River. Very old, made out of wood, and very unstable. After I had boarded the first boat to do a spot check, I realised that if I fell into their open cargo hold, I was going to fall like 1 storey. So that really scared me and made me grip whatsover lose support as tightly as I could.

The best thing was that when I spot checked another bumboat of exactly the same design later on. I was stuck in the same situation. Very shaky these old wooden rickety craft. They yaw so much even in moderate seas. These old bumboats are really those that the Singapore Tourism Board puts in its river shots of the Singapore River. Some are so old fashioned that their steering is still handled manually by means of a large L shapred pole that one end dips into the water with a rudder attached and the master onboard will steer the boat by means of manual adjustments to the other end. Interesting. As long as I don't fall into the sea and become a man overboard casualty. It'll be fun. =)

Didn't bring along mum's camera yesterday despite the patrol sector, stretching a rather vast distance throughout the Eastern Petroleum Anchorages and Eastern Special Purposes Anchorage had a great view of the shoreline. I can see all the different flats and condominiums from the sea on land on this particular patrol set. And I could get very nice close up shots of all the big ships. But foolish me didn't even think it worthy to bring a camera along. Nevermind. Next time. Next time.

Somehow, I just don't seem to be in the "mood" to be replying to comments tags today! Feel rather tired and washed out from last night's patrol. Its just notable that Joline, you actually check this place out in the midst of your exams. And as for En, no offense taken at all. I am too soft a person to take offence most of the time. And for Jamie! Well, honestly, I can't find an answer or a suitable reply to your comments.

I guess that's one great thing about being in ARTS? It makes one so much more intellectual with words, essays and arguments. I'm just a simple science boy who can't even remember the statistical formular for normal distribution. But we should all laugh.

I've uploaded 16 photos from my photography session on the sea yesterday. Nothing fantastic and I'm giving pbase a trial run. I think they're a better host than webshots.com. Resolution isn't that great, but I think 1200 x 900 is big enough already. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home