Listening to Don Moen - As the Deer
Philosophically, explosive trends are like a normal distribution. They come out, start out small. Soon, there is massive acceptance, followed by a crase and it eventually wanes out and then dies. This is of course, very generally speaking. While I can assume that the rise and fall of boybands might be a good examples, there are others.
Digimon, Tamagotchi, Bubble Tea, certainly friendster and probably blogging. I notice a steady decline in bloggin activity on the net so unlike 6 months ago, when vast majority of people were blogging. I believe the crase, like friendster, will eventually die a natural death. It will only be survived by the few long term bloggers than have made it part of their lives, or just the casual blogger that posts an entry every now and then in random uniquity. Online diaries will certainly soon be passe. Only to be lived on by another web phenomenon.
Sometimes, you don't even remember you had certain things until you dig through the archives of your past. As I clear my exceedingly messy room, I come across all kinds of nostalgic memories as well as past remembrances. Certainly, it would be wise to keep a really large box to be used as a "time capsule" of sorts. Just load things from the present and "chuck" it to one condemned coner of the house. Who knows what memories they may invoke in you at a later date.
My ACJ uniform, my Barker uniform, photos from the distant past, old phone lists, ancient school publications, nonsensical toys, even police equipment from recent history. Sometimes, I don't even realise that I had the items until I see them for another time. It is easy to forget what we have passed through in our lives. Likewise, I do not realise what I have lost out upon until I have a brief recollection or it in my faint memory.
Likewise., I realise that I have lost many many friends over the years. The fact that I was more of a wanderer and a drifter who preferred to mix with all groups of people like a roving butterfly helped me get in touch with many people. The advantages of not being a group cliche mean a greater exposure to the people of the society. The disadvantages being having very few true friends and even fewer of which to rely upon in times of trouble.
I realise that it would easy to "keep in touch" or even to just "keep in contact" via a simple email, a simple letter/note or a simple phone call. Seemingly, I prefer not to keep in contact. I find it odd to just call people out of the blue and ask them how they are, certainly so when I do not know them very well in the first place. The friendship of sorts is thus devalued to that of a "salesman-customer" one. It dawns upon me that I only realise that I have lost certain friends due to the separation of time and the lack of contact only when it is too late.
Even for people in church, in cellgroups past, I no longer even keep in contact with them. It is just a hi-bye kind of friendship. Or perhaps, just a "nodding accquaintance" of sorts. Interesting to note that even though friendship bonds are amongst life's most precious things, they are like muscles that waste away when not properly mantained and taken care of. Likewise, the "strength" of a friendship diminishes over time. For this I regret.
I love philosophy. I love simple discussions of personal revelations. All too much the time, it is true in the truth of the crux of the matter: "The Truth hurts". Life is full of truths. Nowonder some people chose to live a lie in preference to being hurt beyond what they can bear.
Philosophically, explosive trends are like a normal distribution. They come out, start out small. Soon, there is massive acceptance, followed by a crase and it eventually wanes out and then dies. This is of course, very generally speaking. While I can assume that the rise and fall of boybands might be a good examples, there are others.
Digimon, Tamagotchi, Bubble Tea, certainly friendster and probably blogging. I notice a steady decline in bloggin activity on the net so unlike 6 months ago, when vast majority of people were blogging. I believe the crase, like friendster, will eventually die a natural death. It will only be survived by the few long term bloggers than have made it part of their lives, or just the casual blogger that posts an entry every now and then in random uniquity. Online diaries will certainly soon be passe. Only to be lived on by another web phenomenon.
Sometimes, you don't even remember you had certain things until you dig through the archives of your past. As I clear my exceedingly messy room, I come across all kinds of nostalgic memories as well as past remembrances. Certainly, it would be wise to keep a really large box to be used as a "time capsule" of sorts. Just load things from the present and "chuck" it to one condemned coner of the house. Who knows what memories they may invoke in you at a later date.
My ACJ uniform, my Barker uniform, photos from the distant past, old phone lists, ancient school publications, nonsensical toys, even police equipment from recent history. Sometimes, I don't even realise that I had the items until I see them for another time. It is easy to forget what we have passed through in our lives. Likewise, I do not realise what I have lost out upon until I have a brief recollection or it in my faint memory.
Likewise., I realise that I have lost many many friends over the years. The fact that I was more of a wanderer and a drifter who preferred to mix with all groups of people like a roving butterfly helped me get in touch with many people. The advantages of not being a group cliche mean a greater exposure to the people of the society. The disadvantages being having very few true friends and even fewer of which to rely upon in times of trouble.
I realise that it would easy to "keep in touch" or even to just "keep in contact" via a simple email, a simple letter/note or a simple phone call. Seemingly, I prefer not to keep in contact. I find it odd to just call people out of the blue and ask them how they are, certainly so when I do not know them very well in the first place. The friendship of sorts is thus devalued to that of a "salesman-customer" one. It dawns upon me that I only realise that I have lost certain friends due to the separation of time and the lack of contact only when it is too late.
Even for people in church, in cellgroups past, I no longer even keep in contact with them. It is just a hi-bye kind of friendship. Or perhaps, just a "nodding accquaintance" of sorts. Interesting to note that even though friendship bonds are amongst life's most precious things, they are like muscles that waste away when not properly mantained and taken care of. Likewise, the "strength" of a friendship diminishes over time. For this I regret.
I love philosophy. I love simple discussions of personal revelations. All too much the time, it is true in the truth of the crux of the matter: "The Truth hurts". Life is full of truths. Nowonder some people chose to live a lie in preference to being hurt beyond what they can bear.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home