Listening to Buddy Rich - Groovin' Hard
church
Church yesterday was wonderful! Praise was magnificently good! Worship again just ok only. I felt that it was too short. Somehow, I think we shouldn't always limit praise + worship to be about 1/2 an hour. Just let it drag on, 45 mins, one hour. Doesn't matter. I feel we should do it until everyone is thorougly satisfied with the whole praise and worship before carrying on. Programs shouldn't dictate when God can move, God should be dictating that! =)
I notice that there has been a steady proliferation of "Rise of Christ" during times of the exams. Funny how God is suddenly so popular when it comes to exam time and then He's trashed after the papers are done and over with? Then we blame Him if we get poor results, but happily praise ourselves if we do well. I wonder how God feels being used during the "exam crunch" time period every year! He loves us no doubt, but we shouldn't break His heart like this.
patrol
I got up at about 7 yesterday, had church, then rushed to base. Didn't even get any sleep at all and I tried to take the first half shift of duty on the boat. Have to build up my body to get used to staying up late to the wee hours of the morning. I was so dead tired that by 3 I just knocked out on the boat. Perhaps to the dismay of my crew commander, who had one less person to talk to, but I guess I'll slowly get used to it. Must have a COMMANDO MENTALITY! No sleep work all the way! I should only be sleeping 4 hours per day. No more, no less.
Crew commander was really good, he bought us roti john and some super ultra high cholestrol inducing mutton bones for us to suck at the marrow! Its so weird, all the crew commanders seem to have a habit of buying food for their crews. I really wonder how much money each of them spend a month just on food on the boat. KFC, sandwiches, roti prata, murtabak. I have to start "contributing" to this nonsense soon, so that we can have a bigger feast onboard! Hmmmm...Next night shift I shall buy the family feast from KFC and share with everyone onboard! Yeah! hahahaha!
I was so dead tired when I finally went down to the cabin to sleep at 5a.m. I've never really been awake fully for about 22 hours on just about 4 hours worth of sleep. Max is about 18 to 20 hours in Tracom. Its really hard to stay awake on the boat, considering that the rocky motion induces drowsiness and time passes extremely slowly onboard when you're just counting the seconds. Relativity anyone? Worst, yesterday's sea state was CALM! So the rocking was very slow and peaceful - similar to that of a baby's cradle! The only thing that kept me awake was Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On (Remix) on Class95. Once the song started playing, my whole system woke up! Then when the song ended, it went back to slumber again.
Class 95 really plays nice music at night. As in, the 3a.m to 5a.m slot. Lots of classics and easily listening tunes. Wah, WKRZ plays nothing but Ah Beng dance beats! And then there's the creeping of techno into Perfect10 music. Trust me, when you're tired, dance music doesn't keep you awake - it irritates you. Perhaps in a disco you wouldn't mind. But not in a rocking boat when you're half dead!
return
I'm going back to ACJC tomorrow. Term opens today and I wanted to come down and get my testimonials done, but the rain basically killed my desire to even go. Besides, teachers will be too busy running around the place settling stuff to have any time for me. Well, its that time of the year when the J1s have their PROMOS! And the J2s have the shortened time table. Although its just basically tutorials now, no lab sessions, no major learning in lectures. I'm so very sure lots of people will start camping out in the old canteen till like 8.30 at night, just studying, of course, with a little bit of fun in between here and there.
Well, I'll bring along mum's digicam to get some shots of the school. Have always been snapping people doing stupid things, but never really taken photos of the facade of the school. So I'll have to wear my white and blue for a while, then switch to civilian to get my things done. Ya, I'm so sure mei would love to have a couple of shots of the school to see.
last days in ACJC
This was probably the period I enjoyed most in my lasts days in ACJC. Even though everyone's mugging, people start thinking about how quickly their 2 years have passed by. The guys will start dreading the army very soon after the A's and the girls will starts making plans to enjoy their 6 months or get a temp job. Classes usually bond together at this time. I remember that my whole class spent practically everyday from 3p.m studying at the last two tables in the old canteen. And everyone was focused. No distractions, its quite serious. With the cool breeze that often blows around that part of the old canteen. It makes for a very conducive environment to study in. Got questions go to HUB and ask. Got questions also can go ask BOON LEONG who will be roaming around the school with a smile. Can also ask WINSTON, who will be camped up at the 6th left table with EDA, studying with the rest of his class. Then there are the Viet and Thai scholars who will be busy mugging for their S Papers together. Of course, then there's Vicknesh and Jaesson, the GEPS (who both got 6 distinctions) roaming the school, playing practical jokes on each other and trying to spit water on Boon Leong.
Taking turns to treat the class people each with rounds of ice tea and lemonade to stay awake. The student's council forever handing out milo to us (oh there's pretty Ashley as the POSTER GIRL this year to do that!), and then there's Aunty Ros who will cook some light refreshments for everyone. At this time last year, I had screwed my prelims with quite alot of people, so we had to go for "compulsory self-study" in the mezzanine floor every day from 2.30 to 4.30. I basically spent the time gazing at her. She was a tremendous distraction! I can't study when she is in the area! Ok, so T Squared, Jaimes, L Squared, N-Dru and a few other of the SB1 guys as well! Then there's the FREAKING COLD LIBRARY which would just be another gossip session wherever you sat. Bored go play computer and surf the net. Then LIM OON HUA will prowling around waiting to catch AC Boys flirting with girls in the Mezzanine floor and just camping to catch girls who wear black bras! Nonsense man! But even though she's so fierce, she's quite a colorful personality in school with her super ultra high pants! Hahahaha! Dont' forget the glasses which balance precariously at the tip of her nose!
When I think about it, this was like the defining period of ACJC studying together. Never had everyone studied so hard together. Then we can still try to hit on pretty ARTS girls - with much more success. Pick up lines would be more "academic" like "Hi, can I help you with your maths". Apparently, if you help an ARTS girl with her maths (provided she didn't drop it!) and you say that you're from the SA (F maths) combi. Most likely things will turn out in your favour.
The 2nd last day of school saw many people hanging around the old canteen. People brought their books, but weren't studying. Everyone was just talking to each other about our future plans and taking down contact details. It was quite an emotional time for many people. "So fast 2 years passed!" would be a common comment. Suddenly, alot of things that should have been said earlier starting "emerging".
[AC BOY] Hi, you're a pretty girl! You know I've liked you for like the last 2 years since I first saw you at orientation, but too bad I've no guts to talk to you lor, besides, you're always surround by so many other guys. But since I've nothing to lose by saying to this to you, I thought if I could ask you to be my friend or something....
[AC GIRL] Har? Ya sure, anything....
Suddenly everyone knew everyone....My phonebook had a sudden deluge of new entries. Not that I was talking to every girl that I saw, but people were just handing out their contact details freely. So just take lor. I mean, its mostly for the casual people you bump into school once in a while, for which you don't have their contacts. As usual, the pretty girls were flooded with lots of guys trying to get hold of their phone numbers. Yeah, you sms a pretty girl then and there and her reply would be something like "er..whose this?" and the like.
But it was enjoyable indeed. The last day of school was very sad a day for most of us. I mean, 12 years of my ACS Education, SO FAST! How quickly it has passed in the twinkling of an EYE! Although everyone was smiling, most of us had a general feeling of sadness and felt like the future was just too uncertain at that point in time. Perhaps that why my class always makes it a point to meet up at least once a month, just to stay in contact with our younger schooling days.
I don't really know why I wrote what's above. But I felt it come out so naturally. Its wonderful. =)
education
Well, I did learn in church yesterday that having a good education is absolutely essential for missions. I fully agree. I've more or less plotted out my further education in the most ideal of circumstances. Right now, I can't even get my creative juices flowing in order to write my application essays! But I'm sure things will work out. So more or less, I've chartered a "preferred path" in my higher education.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
If I go to NYU, I'll major straight in Mathematics, follow it up with a Master in Business Administration and then Get my Ph.D from any of the Top Universities in America. I'm not so worried in this path. Its less academic and more fun. But it lack the ARTS grounding that I need to prevent myself from becoming nothing more than a processor!
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS.
I hope to double degree here in WashU. I'll have to work so incredibly hard. I'll major in both Mathematics AND Political Science. After that, if I can somehow get 1st Class Honors in both degrees, I don't think I will have problems applying to Harvard Business School to do my M.B.A. (WashU is currently ranked 9th in America! And the rankings will seemingly only go up!). Then after that, do a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics from the Massachusetts Institude of Technology!
If I can go on this "dream education path". I can basically study everything that I have in interest in: Sciences (Physics + Mathematics), the ARTS (Political Science) and Business (MBA). I can work anywhere except in the Law, Medical and Life Sciences fields.
Besides, Mathematics will make me a more logical person, more analytical, less out of point, more specific and able to bring forth good points effectively. Physics will just be a "usage" of mathematics. I can finally understand things that I have in interest in, namely Cosmology and Astronomy, as well as Quantum Mechanics and the like. I can finally UNDERSTAND astronomy as it is written in Mathematics (Hence Theoretical Physics - Black Holes, Relativity, Riemann Curvature...etc). Then political Science will encompass both International Relations, Philosophy as well as Economics and a little bit of History.
Charles says that Political Science is a very difficult subject to major in. If it is coming from a PSC ARTS Scholar. I believe him anyday! But I am all the more determined to understand and to learn and apply! I can study philosophy, which has so much history and logic (maths logic) in it. Alot of mathematicians are also philosophers, so a degree in maths will certainly help my logic when I write about philosophy. Then there's the economics and business perspective of countries. Then there is also the history aspect of different countries, along with the militaristic past and current abilities as well as modern day international relations. I can also learn about GOVERNMENT and management principles in countries. Not forgetting modern and ancient day political struggles and wrangling.
Dont' forget business! I can understand marketing, finance, banking, interest rates. I won't be cut off from Wall Street!
I won't say anymore, but I feel that this series of learnings will certainly enrich my life. I could easily work as a diplomat, understand applied mathematics economics, know about politics, history and international relations, understand philosphy and be able to have the logic and analytical ability to comment and write on it. As well as have good knowledge of the sciences fo my own enjoyment. So I'll be able to understand complex science theories and abstract mathematics concepts. Yet at the same time, be able to write well, have keen and a open mind to literature, history and the ARTS.
I'm split right in the middle between ARTS and Science. So I should do both. This is just a dream for me in terms of education, especially the part of going to Harvard and MIT. The two dream instituitions that I wish I can go to. One for an education in business, another for an education in the sciences. WashU is great in both ARTS and Sciences. Its ranking has jumped rom 12th last year to 9th this year. Its now one of the top 10 universities in America! And I believe that the ranking can only go UP! Jumping three notches in one year in the Top20 table is a great feat indeed! This places it in the table of Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Cornell, Carnegie-Mellon, U Penn, Dartmouth.
I dare say that America's Top 10 are even better than Cambridge and Oxford.
I really hope I can go there. I feel that it will be a place where I can really excel in. I'm not that smart, but I believe that that's where God is leading me to for my further studies. Dreams can still come true! Anything is possible with God!
"Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men." - Proverbs 22:29 (KJV)
church
Church yesterday was wonderful! Praise was magnificently good! Worship again just ok only. I felt that it was too short. Somehow, I think we shouldn't always limit praise + worship to be about 1/2 an hour. Just let it drag on, 45 mins, one hour. Doesn't matter. I feel we should do it until everyone is thorougly satisfied with the whole praise and worship before carrying on. Programs shouldn't dictate when God can move, God should be dictating that! =)
I notice that there has been a steady proliferation of "Rise of Christ" during times of the exams. Funny how God is suddenly so popular when it comes to exam time and then He's trashed after the papers are done and over with? Then we blame Him if we get poor results, but happily praise ourselves if we do well. I wonder how God feels being used during the "exam crunch" time period every year! He loves us no doubt, but we shouldn't break His heart like this.
patrol
I got up at about 7 yesterday, had church, then rushed to base. Didn't even get any sleep at all and I tried to take the first half shift of duty on the boat. Have to build up my body to get used to staying up late to the wee hours of the morning. I was so dead tired that by 3 I just knocked out on the boat. Perhaps to the dismay of my crew commander, who had one less person to talk to, but I guess I'll slowly get used to it. Must have a COMMANDO MENTALITY! No sleep work all the way! I should only be sleeping 4 hours per day. No more, no less.
Crew commander was really good, he bought us roti john and some super ultra high cholestrol inducing mutton bones for us to suck at the marrow! Its so weird, all the crew commanders seem to have a habit of buying food for their crews. I really wonder how much money each of them spend a month just on food on the boat. KFC, sandwiches, roti prata, murtabak. I have to start "contributing" to this nonsense soon, so that we can have a bigger feast onboard! Hmmmm...Next night shift I shall buy the family feast from KFC and share with everyone onboard! Yeah! hahahaha!
I was so dead tired when I finally went down to the cabin to sleep at 5a.m. I've never really been awake fully for about 22 hours on just about 4 hours worth of sleep. Max is about 18 to 20 hours in Tracom. Its really hard to stay awake on the boat, considering that the rocky motion induces drowsiness and time passes extremely slowly onboard when you're just counting the seconds. Relativity anyone? Worst, yesterday's sea state was CALM! So the rocking was very slow and peaceful - similar to that of a baby's cradle! The only thing that kept me awake was Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On (Remix) on Class95. Once the song started playing, my whole system woke up! Then when the song ended, it went back to slumber again.
Class 95 really plays nice music at night. As in, the 3a.m to 5a.m slot. Lots of classics and easily listening tunes. Wah, WKRZ plays nothing but Ah Beng dance beats! And then there's the creeping of techno into Perfect10 music. Trust me, when you're tired, dance music doesn't keep you awake - it irritates you. Perhaps in a disco you wouldn't mind. But not in a rocking boat when you're half dead!
return
I'm going back to ACJC tomorrow. Term opens today and I wanted to come down and get my testimonials done, but the rain basically killed my desire to even go. Besides, teachers will be too busy running around the place settling stuff to have any time for me. Well, its that time of the year when the J1s have their PROMOS! And the J2s have the shortened time table. Although its just basically tutorials now, no lab sessions, no major learning in lectures. I'm so very sure lots of people will start camping out in the old canteen till like 8.30 at night, just studying, of course, with a little bit of fun in between here and there.
Well, I'll bring along mum's digicam to get some shots of the school. Have always been snapping people doing stupid things, but never really taken photos of the facade of the school. So I'll have to wear my white and blue for a while, then switch to civilian to get my things done. Ya, I'm so sure mei would love to have a couple of shots of the school to see.
last days in ACJC
This was probably the period I enjoyed most in my lasts days in ACJC. Even though everyone's mugging, people start thinking about how quickly their 2 years have passed by. The guys will start dreading the army very soon after the A's and the girls will starts making plans to enjoy their 6 months or get a temp job. Classes usually bond together at this time. I remember that my whole class spent practically everyday from 3p.m studying at the last two tables in the old canteen. And everyone was focused. No distractions, its quite serious. With the cool breeze that often blows around that part of the old canteen. It makes for a very conducive environment to study in. Got questions go to HUB and ask. Got questions also can go ask BOON LEONG who will be roaming around the school with a smile. Can also ask WINSTON, who will be camped up at the 6th left table with EDA, studying with the rest of his class. Then there are the Viet and Thai scholars who will be busy mugging for their S Papers together. Of course, then there's Vicknesh and Jaesson, the GEPS (who both got 6 distinctions) roaming the school, playing practical jokes on each other and trying to spit water on Boon Leong.
Taking turns to treat the class people each with rounds of ice tea and lemonade to stay awake. The student's council forever handing out milo to us (oh there's pretty Ashley as the POSTER GIRL this year to do that!), and then there's Aunty Ros who will cook some light refreshments for everyone. At this time last year, I had screwed my prelims with quite alot of people, so we had to go for "compulsory self-study" in the mezzanine floor every day from 2.30 to 4.30. I basically spent the time gazing at her. She was a tremendous distraction! I can't study when she is in the area! Ok, so T Squared, Jaimes, L Squared, N-Dru and a few other of the SB1 guys as well! Then there's the FREAKING COLD LIBRARY which would just be another gossip session wherever you sat. Bored go play computer and surf the net. Then LIM OON HUA will prowling around waiting to catch AC Boys flirting with girls in the Mezzanine floor and just camping to catch girls who wear black bras! Nonsense man! But even though she's so fierce, she's quite a colorful personality in school with her super ultra high pants! Hahahaha! Dont' forget the glasses which balance precariously at the tip of her nose!
When I think about it, this was like the defining period of ACJC studying together. Never had everyone studied so hard together. Then we can still try to hit on pretty ARTS girls - with much more success. Pick up lines would be more "academic" like "Hi, can I help you with your maths". Apparently, if you help an ARTS girl with her maths (provided she didn't drop it!) and you say that you're from the SA (F maths) combi. Most likely things will turn out in your favour.
The 2nd last day of school saw many people hanging around the old canteen. People brought their books, but weren't studying. Everyone was just talking to each other about our future plans and taking down contact details. It was quite an emotional time for many people. "So fast 2 years passed!" would be a common comment. Suddenly, alot of things that should have been said earlier starting "emerging".
[AC BOY] Hi, you're a pretty girl! You know I've liked you for like the last 2 years since I first saw you at orientation, but too bad I've no guts to talk to you lor, besides, you're always surround by so many other guys. But since I've nothing to lose by saying to this to you, I thought if I could ask you to be my friend or something....
[AC GIRL] Har? Ya sure, anything....
Suddenly everyone knew everyone....My phonebook had a sudden deluge of new entries. Not that I was talking to every girl that I saw, but people were just handing out their contact details freely. So just take lor. I mean, its mostly for the casual people you bump into school once in a while, for which you don't have their contacts. As usual, the pretty girls were flooded with lots of guys trying to get hold of their phone numbers. Yeah, you sms a pretty girl then and there and her reply would be something like "er..whose this?" and the like.
But it was enjoyable indeed. The last day of school was very sad a day for most of us. I mean, 12 years of my ACS Education, SO FAST! How quickly it has passed in the twinkling of an EYE! Although everyone was smiling, most of us had a general feeling of sadness and felt like the future was just too uncertain at that point in time. Perhaps that why my class always makes it a point to meet up at least once a month, just to stay in contact with our younger schooling days.
I don't really know why I wrote what's above. But I felt it come out so naturally. Its wonderful. =)
education
Well, I did learn in church yesterday that having a good education is absolutely essential for missions. I fully agree. I've more or less plotted out my further education in the most ideal of circumstances. Right now, I can't even get my creative juices flowing in order to write my application essays! But I'm sure things will work out. So more or less, I've chartered a "preferred path" in my higher education.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
If I go to NYU, I'll major straight in Mathematics, follow it up with a Master in Business Administration and then Get my Ph.D from any of the Top Universities in America. I'm not so worried in this path. Its less academic and more fun. But it lack the ARTS grounding that I need to prevent myself from becoming nothing more than a processor!
WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS.
I hope to double degree here in WashU. I'll have to work so incredibly hard. I'll major in both Mathematics AND Political Science. After that, if I can somehow get 1st Class Honors in both degrees, I don't think I will have problems applying to Harvard Business School to do my M.B.A. (WashU is currently ranked 9th in America! And the rankings will seemingly only go up!). Then after that, do a Doctorate in Theoretical Physics from the Massachusetts Institude of Technology!
If I can go on this "dream education path". I can basically study everything that I have in interest in: Sciences (Physics + Mathematics), the ARTS (Political Science) and Business (MBA). I can work anywhere except in the Law, Medical and Life Sciences fields.
Besides, Mathematics will make me a more logical person, more analytical, less out of point, more specific and able to bring forth good points effectively. Physics will just be a "usage" of mathematics. I can finally understand things that I have in interest in, namely Cosmology and Astronomy, as well as Quantum Mechanics and the like. I can finally UNDERSTAND astronomy as it is written in Mathematics (Hence Theoretical Physics - Black Holes, Relativity, Riemann Curvature...etc). Then political Science will encompass both International Relations, Philosophy as well as Economics and a little bit of History.
Charles says that Political Science is a very difficult subject to major in. If it is coming from a PSC ARTS Scholar. I believe him anyday! But I am all the more determined to understand and to learn and apply! I can study philosophy, which has so much history and logic (maths logic) in it. Alot of mathematicians are also philosophers, so a degree in maths will certainly help my logic when I write about philosophy. Then there's the economics and business perspective of countries. Then there is also the history aspect of different countries, along with the militaristic past and current abilities as well as modern day international relations. I can also learn about GOVERNMENT and management principles in countries. Not forgetting modern and ancient day political struggles and wrangling.
Dont' forget business! I can understand marketing, finance, banking, interest rates. I won't be cut off from Wall Street!
I won't say anymore, but I feel that this series of learnings will certainly enrich my life. I could easily work as a diplomat, understand applied mathematics economics, know about politics, history and international relations, understand philosphy and be able to have the logic and analytical ability to comment and write on it. As well as have good knowledge of the sciences fo my own enjoyment. So I'll be able to understand complex science theories and abstract mathematics concepts. Yet at the same time, be able to write well, have keen and a open mind to literature, history and the ARTS.
I'm split right in the middle between ARTS and Science. So I should do both. This is just a dream for me in terms of education, especially the part of going to Harvard and MIT. The two dream instituitions that I wish I can go to. One for an education in business, another for an education in the sciences. WashU is great in both ARTS and Sciences. Its ranking has jumped rom 12th last year to 9th this year. Its now one of the top 10 universities in America! And I believe that the ranking can only go UP! Jumping three notches in one year in the Top20 table is a great feat indeed! This places it in the table of Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Cornell, Carnegie-Mellon, U Penn, Dartmouth.
I dare say that America's Top 10 are even better than Cambridge and Oxford.
I really hope I can go there. I feel that it will be a place where I can really excel in. I'm not that smart, but I believe that that's where God is leading me to for my further studies. Dreams can still come true! Anything is possible with God!
"Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men." - Proverbs 22:29 (KJV)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home