Friday, September 12

Listening to SonicFlood - Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Sabbatical: Tying Up Loose Ends II



Balderdash

I was quite surprised that one of the legendary bloggers, Gabriel of BALDERDASH Fame actually left a message in my previous comment box! I have been a regular reader of his blog for at least a year already. It is rather insightful at times, brutally honest at others, plain frank on National Slavery and has the splattering of "very interesting topics".

Truly, he is one of those people who actually define our local blogging culture in Singapore. Well, if not for his National Slavery, I'm quite so very sure he'll be coming up with all kinds of interesting quirks and anecdotes in his blog posts on a daily basis. Blame the gahmen! Blame the army! Blame mindef! Its all their fault! Writing talent also cannot recognise! Nonsense man the army! Nowonder our country depends so much on "foreign talent correspondence". Apparently, all the good local ones are trashed away in some condemned corner in some gahmen organisation!

"Respect. But never suck up. Salute, but never boot lick." I respect this guy's writing and "blogability".

mei

Ya mei, the pictures of Holland Village are specially for YOU! I'm sure you'll miss one of the classic AC hangouts since you're like 4000 miles away. And not too long ago, when one skipped school, HV would be the "temporary camping ground" for the discusion of where to go further.

You can't expect to walk down orchard road everytime! Once, the gang of 6 (above) plus a few others decided to skip school everyday and hang out at orchard. To gossip, to talk, to "share intelligence" and to "debate the merits fo the actions of the principal". After two continuous weeks of seeing Heeren, HMV, Lido, Cine, PS, Centerpoint, Tanglin Mall.

Sian liao. So that's why we decided to camp out at other places like the CITY! Whatever it is, Holland Village will always remain in the hearts of any true blue ACSian as a place that one can easily identify with. Previous batches of students (like my cousin's batch) remember mr. L E double N catching them red-handed skipping school at Burger King! Then there's always the gift shops that girls will go in and not come out for the next two hours! Memories indeed.

I remember camping out at Breekos till like 11.30 with the ARTS people, debating on the usefulness of assimilating politics with science. Staying in BK till 10 plus with the swimmers just joking about our younger days. Going to KFC till we got chased out at 11.30, all the while joking about the miserable state of our lives. Studying in Delifrance for prelims (as though we studied!). Meeting up teachers at StarBucks for a drink. Meeting up girls you never knew for the first time at Coffee Bean. Going to Wala-Wala with some of the hardcore clubbing people, eating at Cystal Jade at 2.30 in the moring in our ACJC uniform. Buying Perrier water from NTUC cos it was cheaper and our idea of a joke (we put it in some girl's lunch dish). Buying vodka "on behalf" of all the other people who were born later than me! (Cold Storage doesn't check I/C, they don't even care even if you're in school uniform - all to upkeep their reputation for "professionalism"). Then there's the 8 dollar chicken rice at Yee Cheong Yuen's, and the 2.50 chicken rice at the "small market" when we're broke. Buying stuff for parties at "Party With Us". Getting flowers for Valentine's Day at the "friendly florist" next to KFC. Buying FHM on behalf of the class guys at Thambi Magazine Stall. Getting the latest issues of Science Journal Weekly and "Space and Astronomy" magazine at the "small mama stall". Then there's always the old woman who sells sweet candy at a buck a stick. Guardian Pharmacy for all our panadol needs during the prelims, GNC for all the canoeists and gym instructors! So many things in AC wouldn't be so convieniently possible without Holland Village!

It's almost like the whole place exists to serve the "needs of the AC community".

Ok as for Dorcas. Don't breathe a word to her. It will blow my cover! And it will blow the cover of the people who tipped me off as well! I am so good at acting blur/weird that she probably definitely doesn't know that I know that she's giving me weird looks/glances/stares. Ok, maybe she knows that I'm downright weird (ala Fa Lung Gong Guy type) and that's why I somehow gain the wrong side of her attention.

As for her codename, nobody assigned her one! We just called her the "thin SC1 girl" or "girl whose dad is a pastor" or "the hunchbacked student councillor" (she does have a noticeable slouch at certain angles). Shhhhhh... dont' tell her I "told you all of this". She doesn't come online, so I'm quite certain no harm in writing it here. I hope not for another reprise of "the episode". Being very honest here does have its disadvantages too at times, but I will continue to be as honest and frank as possible. Ok, she's quite cute though, rather pretty looking girl at certain angles again. And she's really smart too. So I guess she's more or less "off limits" to most AC guys.

As for Wivinia, or Wivi as everyone calls her. She is an INCREDIBLY NICE GIRL! She's SOOOOOO nice. I only got to know her when I crashed my Barker friend's birthday party. I had celebrated my birthday earlier in the week, and I was just crashing his, which falls on the same day as mine (it was Friday). Then I met this MG girl, Shi Mei and later on, Wivi. We discovered that all 4 of us had the same combined birthday! So cool huh? And then Shi Mei and Wivi were in the same class as well! (Statistical Odds is quite mind boggling!). So that's how I got to know Wivi. She's damn nice and damn cool an AC girl. Its like she was the first girl to walk into ACJC during second intake with bright goldish brown hair! Cool girl. Ultra popular MG girl.

Its very rare that a pretty girl like her is nice to a weird guy like me. So I really treasured her friendship. We both screwed our promos and got advanced. Then I got promoted in JC2, after probational exams and she was double-advanced. So yeah, periods like that when I encourage her and stuff, we became rather good friends. Although I've lost touch with her already (she has such a huge cliche of friends, its inevitable). My first act of "greeting" when I first saw her in ACJC after the party, was to blow her hair. Her girl-friends just thought "whose this weird guy". And she was like, "hahaha! its you again! how come all the guys like to blow at my hair for no reason at all huh?"(maybe its faked, maybe its real, but I think its real) So yeah, she's damn nice. I have nothing bad to say about her. Her boyfriend's damn lucky man - cos she's like so devoted to him. He's some big time ARMY COMMANDO OFFICER that is like 2 time bigger than me! Like bouncer/bodyguard material, former ACJC boy as well I think. Another "idealistic"AC couple! So she goes to church with some of my other Barker friends and the guys say that "shes so incredibly nice to us". Nowonder she's ultra popular. Pretty girl with such a warm personality!

kudos

Thanks big time to the my supreme computer genius friend, Nico, for fixing my net connection. It just died when I was icq-ing on the 9th at about 2.30 a.m. I couldn't fix it. So I requested that Nico come down and fix it for me. In the end, he only took 2 minutes to resolve the whole thing! Its not like I'm bad with computers, it just goes to show how good HE is at computers. So thanks once again to him. Best of all, he took a 1 hour jouney down from his house to mine to fix my computer and expected NOTHING in return. Truly, such good friends are hard to come by.

university

The application process to the universities is incredibly messy. Have decided to go for Early Decision at Washington University in St. Louis. I'm going back to ACJC on tuesday to get Lao Shi and TLC to write up my testimonials. And I'll settle all my "unsettled business" then and there as well.

Should I don my white and blue? Or should I just come back as a visitor? I think I shall wear white and blue again! Greet the wonderful junior class, encourage them and later change to civilian to "get things done". Of course, I'll wear the "NS NewBalance Shoes" as well. See if any teacher (besides mine) is sharp enough to spot me impersonating as an AC Boy.

Hopefully I can get my entire application done in 6 weeks. If not I'm screwed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home