Wednesday, December 17

Listening to Duran Duran - Come Undone

Concert

Dad got me tickets for the Duran Duran concert last night. I would say for an 80s band, they are really not bad. In fact, quite nice. Just that the genre of rock is rather out of tune with the modern rock that I am used to. Not that I am a big fan of rock, but just a manner of appreciation the music of the past.

I really wonder, why is it only all the washed-out bands come to Singapore to play. No BON JOVI or AEROSMITH.

Lots of "older people" at the concert. I would honestly rather see a jazz or a classical performance anyday rather than a rock concert of sorts. As Dad and I sat just below the speakers, we left the indoor stadium with our ears ringing real badly.

A Brief History of Time

17th December 2003. The 100th anniversary of flight. Exactly one year since I have enlisted into National Service. Time flies. The days are slow. The months are quick. The years the fastest. A philosophical interpretation of bodily-physical space-time?

So quickly time has passed. I bumped into Jiahui and Huiqing at Orchard today. My goodness! Even prettier than the last time I saw them more than a year ago at the Prom. Both were wonderful people to know at CF, to pray with, to talk about God with and just sisters-in-Christ that always gave us support when we were down.

Argh. Speaking of the Prom. Its been more than a year, 53 weeks to be exact since I have last seen her. Argh. Argh. Argh. But nevermind, the only consolation that I have is that Maggie has put up a real photo of herself on her friendster profile. Even prettier than the way she looked at the Prom.

The spoiler is that her boyfriend's hugging her in the picture. How sad is that?

"Like I told you and told you before, its best not to like a girl who is attached, you'll be wasting your time waiting for someone whom you only have a very slight remote chance of actually getting to know, much less being good friends and the probability of a good relationship is as good as zero. In fact, I think its a no-no. You'll have much better luck looking around for other girls who aren't attached. Its inner beauty that counts right? Isn't that what you always tell me? But yeah, I understand, love makes people go crazy and into think weird delusions and ephipanies of grandeur in the minds. Love just screws up everything. Like I said and said before, I'm going to die single at 70..."

T-Squared. How true. The intellect of a genius married with an honest and fresh perspective about the miserable state of our lives, Sept 2002. And he wasn't even referring to Mag. It was "advice" for some other guy about "some other girl".

Great inference I'd say.

Kitty

I hope the cat does not run away from us. I like to just pat it and rub its soft fur. Perhaps I'll brush it or something on a regular basis in an effort to get rid of the "excess fur". Its really fussy and just enjoys sleeping, lying around, rubbing people's feet and trying to sneak around the house.

Currently, my mom only allows it outside the house. Mum does not want the fur to fly all over the place and create a mess. This sneaky cat has been trying to enter the house in many ways. Almost like his previous owner gave it free reign about the house. It comes meowing at 3a.m outside the door and when carried out, it actually gives a sad, pitiful look on its face. When we stop it from coming inside the house, it gives an unhappy look. Wow, I didn't know that cats could express their emotions in their faces.

But all the more, I just enjoy it lying on my newspaper when I'm reading it in the morning. It drank a little bit of the soup from my Maggie Mee breakfast and dropped fur into the bowl. It lies at my mum's feet when my mum's just using her laptop outside the house. Fussy little feling refuses to walk on grass, step on wet patches and only meows when absolutely necessary. It loves attention, it loves being rubbed and patted. And it gives me this sad pathetic look when I have to walk away from it.

You should see how it fusses over its food. Amazing.

I'm slow

I guess I am very slow. But here's a geek joke I received from Boon:

Once e^x is walking along and he sees all the other functions running towards him and he asks why theyre running.

And they say, "help! help! d/dx is coming! we'll all be differentiated! help!"

and he walks a bit further and sees d/dx in the distance. so he storms up to d/dx and says, "hey! how dare u cause trouble here! i'm not scared of you!"

and d/dx turns around and says, "oh yeah? actually I'm d/dy.


Books

Went to Borders today to get the books I didn't manage to buy last week. More or less I'm quite satisfied, just that some of the books I wanted were out of stock. So thank God for the blessings. I just wish to list down the titles here. If the books a person reads determine the him, I wonder what I am.

The Last Emperor (Keith Laider)
1421 (Gavin Menzies)
Mao's Last Dancer (Li Cunxin)
My Side of the Story (Chin Peng)
Singapore : The Pregnable Fortress (Peter Elphick)
A Beautiful Mind (Sylvia Nasar)
The Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
The Little Friend (Donna Tartt)
Mayada: Daughter of Iraq (Jean Sasson)
Dude, Where's my Country? (Michael Moore)
Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
The Purpose Driven Life (Rick Warren)
The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Mitch Albom)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (J.R.R Tolkien)
The Lord of the Ring: The Two Towers (J.R.R Tolkien)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (J.R.R Tolkien)
A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)
Quicksilver: Vol 1. of the Baroque Cycle (Neal Stephenson)

I could not find "The Little Friend (Donna Tartt)", "The Universe in the Nutshell (Stephen Hawking)" and Forgot to pick out "The Vampire Chronicles (Anne Rice)". Is my taste for books screwed up? I guess I'm quite happy to see that it straddles Fiction, Non-Fiction, ARTS and Sciences. Literature is SO INTERESTING. Gnosticism Studies would be quite ideal, agreed?

And they don't have the Complete Set of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis. I love reading. Just hope that my myopia doesn't worsen. I would say that our country's high rates of myopia are due to the fact that we read/study too much. How I honestly wish that I could have perfect eyesight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home