Monday, July 21

condominium name woes

Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles. A name which many icons of our country are names after. Especially the mental instituition: The Raffles Instituition!

So there's a fuss about the pronunciation of the name of this new condominium near to where else but ri?

From Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles name. "Raffles" is pronounced "RARE-FELS"

Why the hell do those ri/rgs/rgps/rjc people call themselves Rafflesians, as in pronunciation-wise "RA-FLEA-SIANS' when any ACS guy would obviously pronounce it "RAFFLE-SIANS"?

What's with them and this stinking small irritating pest called the flea? Food for thought indeed.

I think somewhere, somehow, someone really messed up the pronunciation. It had to be some principal at some part of ri's history. Who else can actually enforce such a unique pronunciation for such a easy to pronounce word?

That's why, ACS will always be better than ri in English. Always. Now and Forevermore. For Life EVERLASTING in FACT. =)

Whatever it is. I'm happy to see ri lose at everything from studies to sports. Though of course, they're virtually invunerable in the studies arena. I love ACS! It's Anglo minus Chinese School for a bunch of English Educated Chinaman. 12 wonderful years of my messed up life were spent there and it produced me.

stomach pains

I was woken up at around 3 a.m last night with severe abdominal pain. SEVERE. It was like there was gas building up in my large intestine which could not be released. Hence, there was a pressure buildup to the extent I could feel a noticeable bulge in my tummy. It was just gas, because I've felt it before, just that the pain was really bad.

It was so bad even in the morning than I walked in an awkward position everywhere I went - even in the base to the curious looks of the other people. I didn't fall in with the rest of the squad but instead just chose to rest in class. In the end, by about 10, the pain had subsided considerably.

It's really painful. Hope I don't feel that again anytime soon. =)

simple day

The day passed by very simply. OC came in a few times to talk to us, other than that, most of the time was spent talking, sleeping or just joking and laughing the day away. Its a great time to catch up on the magazines and papers as well.

OC was enquiring about the raft and I was saboed by the rest of the squad to come up with an idea on how to decorate it. OC asked those involved with the rafting to stay back after work to settle it, to the dismay of almost everyone involved. It was only later in the day that Adrian helped come up with a creative idea on how to decorate the raft.

In terms of creativity, I am really bad. That is why I desire to go for some art-appreciation classes. So at least I won't be so shallow in an area which many western people hold in high esteem.

It was quite a boring day in the base I'd say. So boring i ended up surfing onto Wan Ting's WAP homepage! Yep! She even has a WAP homepage so that her boyfriend can read her blog when he is in camp! Such a thoughtful girl isn't she? So I actually ended surfing the GPRS WAPnet for quite some time, reading her diary entries to kill time. It's fun to surf on the handphone!

wrong lunch

Today was Badang, Nico and my turn to go collect the food crates. We collected the second western meal in the history of our entire course. The first was on the second day. Funny how the mess at the Police Academy times the good food for times of enlistees coming in and recruits passing out. In between the food sucks.

We only realised that we collected the wrong food crates after everyone had started eating when we saw a sticker "Kallang Base" on the box! It was meant for the Base and not meant for us!

At first we were quite worried whether we'd get screwed or something, but later it was all ironed out. Apparently, someone had put the sticker there as a joke. That person being no other than some other NSman who asked us to "take these two" boxes of food.

blessings

I was really hungry - as always. I have not been going for any tea breaks for quite a few days already. I asked Poh Yong that if he could not finish the food, he could give it to me.

In the end. I received about half a tray worth of salad, Edmund's half eaten meal, Atek's half eaten meal and Poh Yong's fries. On top of this, I received another uneaten tray of food! That's 4 trays! So, its quite obvious that God had something to do with this. Thank you God! =)

I was thoroughly full and satiated after lunch. It was a great lunch. And without the stomach pain - it felt even better!

retest

The restest was at about 4. I ended up sleeping for most part of the afternoon. In the end, I just breezed through the retest. It is a free frag or "FF" as it is known in"exam terminology in ACJC".

I hope to score at least 94%, although the examiner told us that as long as we passed, it would only be reflected as 70% on the official records.

After that, we were free to go home. A short and sweet day I'd say.

no.1 complications

Apparently, the whole squad has collected a number 1 uniform that has no space for the collar lapel pins that hold the Police Force crest Insignia. In the end, OC is telling us to bring all our No. 1's tomorrow, so that all of them can be sent to beach road to have velcro attached to the collars.

The insignia's are velcro-backed.

Quite a few guys in the squad were making a fuss since they had pin-backed insignias, only that they refused to let us have it. We get the shit stuff everywhere we go. What to do - NS. NSmen really do all the shit jobs, get shit pay, shit food and shit respect. And government propaganda likens us to doing a glorified thing for the nation.

Yes, we have to pay 1 buck for the velcro FOR a no.1 belonging TO THEM! And I don't even have a dollar in my pocket now! I have absolutely no money for the rest of the month. Its all just down to faith now.

It seems that they neglect to think that we young people are NOT STUPID FOOLS!

transport woes

Adrian, Poh Yong, Edmund and I waited for bus number 16. It was one of those days that the bus comes after half an hour, and when it comes, it is fully packed.

We almost took a taxi until some other no. 16 came just one minute after the first. It sucks to wait for so long, only then for two buses to come at the same time!

At least Trams in melbourne are more reliable!

noelle

I managed to get a 77 home. There was this ex-ACJC girl from my batch on the bus.

her name is noelle
I have a dream about her
she rings my bell
gotta gym class in half an hour
know how she rocks
in kinks and two socks

but she doesn't know who I am
and she doesn't give a damn about me..." - teenage dirtbag by wheatus.


Ya, so this girl's name was Noelle. Aaron was telling me in April 2001 that she was very popular during the first three months no thanks to the teenage dirtbag song.

Its interesting to note that we are the only two people in the whole school for our year who share the same surnames. She just looked at me for a while with that "analytical stare" and then glanced away.

I bet she thought, "can't be that acjc guy, he's supposed to be in NS! this guy's wearing an 'SAJC uniform', probably just a look-alike"

Even back at ACJC, she gives me that look only Dorcas Nga gives me! It's so strange! But I must really elaborate here.

profile: noelle

Noelle is among the top arts students in acjc, she was from the AH class, studied geog, lit, econs and art. Her art is very very good. her best friend in peirong, who happens to be my classmate as well.

She's an ex-mgs girl, very smart and yet carries herself with elegance and pride.

Ok, she was one of the slightly more controversial characters in acjc. She was more onto the "alternative lifestyles" side. She was one of the few people who came to acjc on the first day with dyed hair, has piercing all over her and it is rumoured that she has quite a few tattoos.

I received info that she was very popular during the orientation, almost ended up running for council and then later dropped the idea. She has many friends in mgs so that means she practically knows at least half the school. She's popular with the guys even during the 2nd day of orientation.

She was one of the few girls who always had possessions and accessories that no one else had, not only were they very avant garde, but also, very unique and some, very expensive.

Interesting thing to note: her bra color was always the talk of the arts community. Of course, this is declassified "guys-only" information. It's like, people were always guessing what color she would be wearing the next day. Colors in example are yellow, orange, grey. black and pink - basically all the luminous or see through colors.

She won 3rd prize in some prestigious local art competition and I think she had a merit in an overseas one and one honorable mention for an international arts competition.

profile: Dorcas Nga - information is sketchy at the least

Like noelle, Dorcas hails from SC1 0 the top triple science class in ACJC. She's an ex-mgs girl who knows pratically half the school, both guys and girl.

She's extremely intelligent, very smart and has a very easy and outgoing personality. Ran for council and manged to secure about 356 votes from the student community - mgs girls and lots of guys to boot plus her class. Very popular in ACJC as well.

Her father is a pastor, I believe a Rev. Nga from Christ Methodist Church, under the English speaking wing of the Methodist Church in Singapore, preaches in both the adult and youth services.

In terms of uniqueness - has to be only one thing - the PERFUME! It's the DAMN PERFUME I TELL YOU! LIKE A PHEROMONE for GUYS!

commentary

It's like these two girls share alot in common and both of them give me strange stares in school. Sigh. Only bo liao people like me notice such things.

Well, Noelle is still not to be outdone in terms of accessories. As I was nearing Holland V, she took out her handphone, what I believe is that it is one of the latest British models not available in Singapore. Her hair is dyed bright orange-gold and all her clothes, accessories and even handbag are as unique as ever.

It'll be interesting to know where she went. Will get info from peirong on saturday.

piano

I've always wanted to learn the piano. Dad stopped my lessons in primary 2 when we got into financial difficulties. I thought I'd never forget what I learnt during class, but by primary 3 I had forgetten everything except the location of the "do" key.

My piano teacher once said that I was "talented". Perhaps she was right. I shall use this as my inspiration as I start to pick up piano again, After a gap of 11 years.

Then again, I can get Bell to teach me!

food

As I type this, Dad's out getting me a burger! Amazing! Dad almost never queues for such "worthless stuff". Thank you God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home