Sunday, January 4

Listening to Don Moen - I Worship You, Almighty God

ACJC Orientation 2004

Perhaps I ought to crash ACJC again tomorrow? Who else will I see? But until that, I'll have to go shopping at beach road first for NS stuff and get my hair cut.

School of Rock is really really funny. I feel that we ought to just keep ourselves immersed in comedy films. Romance movies are often too sad and heartbreaking in already messed up world full of sad news. I'm sick of reading of bomb blast everywhere around the world, so its best to just avoid seeing them on the silver screen as well. Less violence and more comedy. Laughter the best medicine and so is it the music to the soul.

Met up with Shingles and Mark at last minute's notice after work at the rotten base yesterday (In future, I'll refer to the rotten base as the "sinking ship". Much more apt a title). At least for once neither wanted to go clubbing or drinking. Strangely, Mark actually cancelled on some other people to go to centro just to join us slacking.

Imagine how crowded it was when we could only get 2nd row seats at Cine for the midnight show. I've not been to the cinema in 11 months, so much so that the year has looped around to another year and this is like my first trip to the cinema this year. How time flies indeed. Imagine just enjoying the company of two really good friends over roti prata outside my house at 3 in the morning. I guess with all the terrible night shifts I get at work, its no longer a problem trying to stay up awake on very little sleep.

Well the two of them bunked over at my house till the wee hours of the morning - Shingles left at 4a.m and Mark at 5.30a.m to BOOK IN (rotten army!). We should do this more often since our daytime schedules aren't really messed up save for the lack of sleep. But yeah, pain is an NSmen's best friend. Tiredness is the 2nd best friend. So who cares? The guys tell me on certain weeks they get no more than 5 hours rest for the entire span of 6 days, booking out as roaming zombies.

So much for the "army official public relations" crap that says that "trainees are given adequate rest daily". The kind of nonsense they spout is truly laughable. I realise army has made my friends a whole lot more politically conscious as well as aware of their rights, their place in society, invisible hierachies as well as caste systmes theorised by political scientist as well as greater knowledge on international relations and diplomaticy along with its ties to international economics and monetary fiscal policy. Its comforting to know that their brains are not totally wasting away.

And I brought my first friend to church today! In fact, I could say this is like the first person I've brought to church in like 3 years? I struggle in this area - bringing friends to church. Strangely, I didn't have to ask the person, the person asked me and it was no other than Shingles! I was quite surprised and taken aback at first when he told me that "he wanted to go to church more often" and to make a "genuine committment to God this year". Soul searching during the period of slavery?

Well Church was great. Service was very good. The presence of the Lord could be felt very tangibly and I believe it is a great way to start the year. Pastor was teaching us about setting goals and stuff and I realised that except for very vague new year resolutions, I have yet to actually set any firm and deterministic goals for 2004. How slack of me to keep drifting in life is a plank in the sea. Have to change. As change is the only constant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home