Friday, March 11

Memories of the Fun-O-Rama (Part I) - The Girl

Memories of the Fun-O-Rama (Part I) - The Girl

Written for SK

It is very difficult to conjure up memories of the nonsense that was the Fun-O-Rama. My memories come back to me in a scattering and splattering of thougts, heavily disorganised with no clear view of an actual timeline. It has taken me a great deal of time to sort through my thoughts before I can put keyboard to this post. And after massively digging my photographic archives in my computer, I have managed to cook out a scant three pictures that are high associated and moderated towards the theme of the Fun-O-Rama. I guess that in the time to the run-up to the day itself. There are far too many memories for which to blog down. So I will extract the most memorable ones (that can be mentioned!) and pen them down.

I always remember the day they started distributing the Fun-O-Rama coupons. I think it was towards the end of the JC1 year. Remember, this is more than 4 years ago, so my memory might fail me here and there. Do correct me if there are any inaccuracies. Especially with regards to the timelines that I believe are correct. Our memories play tricks on us after a long period of time, lest the neurons were fired out due to a strong emotional response or other. As I flipped through the school magazine. I realised that for my year, my class page, (which cost everyone in class 10 bucks each to put up!) had a whole series of photographs entirely relating to the Fun-O-Rama. I believe that most of them were taken with a disposable camera. Too, bad, I didn't have any skills plus a Canon 1Ds at that time. So we'll have to do with the last few low resolution copies that I have in my computer. Apologies. =)




There it is. A low quality scan off our class page from the school magazine. I used to have a much higher quality scan of the picture, unfortunately so, they were lost when my computer was re-formatted just a few days ago (no thanks to the virus hopping around on M$N messenger). Because our class page was a hastily arranged last minute thing that took the only girl in class taking Art at A-level a mere 12 minutes to complete in the New Canteen (I know, cos I helped her!) before we rushed off for physics lectures with the legendary D.K. Its just a mish-mash of pictures hurriedly stuck upon each other with glue. And a sprinkling of the names of our class people. C'mon, look, even the 2SA5 was hand-drawn in 4 minutes! It is so obvious!

Now, to make sense of all the confusion, I have decided to put the picture through photoshop with some post-processing. So that everyone who reads this post will understand exactly what I am referring to in the picture. I've outlined what each individual picture looks like and attached a number tag to them. Let's hope that everyone understands what I say and can actually see some scant of a detail in the pictures.




There, I hope that everyone can see roughly which picture I am referring to. I'll describe each picture here in due detail as each post in this series (series?!!!) goes by. For now. The most memorable picture for me would be picture number 5. I do not remember who snapped this picture. It was taken just as we had laid out our banner bearing the words "Rug 'N' Roll", which was for our class games stall in the Void Deck. At this point in time, my class had embarked to paint the banner later in the afternoon. This unfurling of the banner, to check that everything was in order was done during either recess or lunch break I believe. If you save the picture and zoom in, you can most probably see that only the outlines have been put to task at this point of time. We had not even bought the paint.

For further theories about the banner. Read the post two places down in this blog. That was very much later during the day this picture was taken. Picture number 5 is particularly special to me. Besides having a good number of my classmates in the picture posing for this shot, each of us having one foot to prevent the banner from flying off in the wind going through the VOID DECK at that time. Each of us had also taken out our handphones and placed them on the banner. At the letter "O", for "Roll". The letter "O" was shaped like that of a rugby ball. So we aligned our handphone models - Nokia, Siemens and Panasonic to somehow "outline" the edge of the ball. I was using an 8310 at this time. And if I am not mistaken, at least two of my classmates had the "then latest model" the 7210 in their pockets by then. It was fun.

I am the person at fifth from the left or right. Furthest to the rear. Or actually "center" of the picture. Do not allow the streak of names to confuse you to thinking that this is two pictures. Look at the outline that I have drawn. My head is at the most awkward angle of all. Actually I wasn't looking at the camera. I was looking at her. My hands were holding a chunk of blue tailor's chalk - used to imprint the outlines for the words for our banner. It was fun. Indeed, highly distracted when taking the picture. She was just sitting opposite me on on the last bench of the Void Deck. Beautiful girl.

Sitting with the boyfriend. Sigh.

Just immediately after this picture was taken. Someone looked at her, smiled and asked if she thought that our games stall banner was nice.

"Nice! Very Nice!" was her reply.

I shook my head. And I went down on all fours to continue to outline the words "Rug 'N' Roll". Blue tailor's chalk, I remember it so clearly. The class fussed over other details, like where to get the paint, the brushes, and who would do what. And the plans later on. It was hectic. It took me a few minutes to outline the words and when I was done. I got up and dusted my fingers. By this time, she was sitting facing her boyfriend on the last bench in the Old Canteen. Nicely, I could see her tilt her head to one side and give a smile. I can't help but continue to look (not stare - acting blur is one of the greatest virtues in life). He smiled at her, stretched out his hand, and put it on top of her hand.

And my heart sank. Once again. Remember the two golden rules and the key philosophies? And I sighed. And walked to another side of the Void Deck, and pretended to join in with the "arguments" the class was having over "the plan" later on. It was for about 15 minutes or so? And then because my hands were still dusted with tailor's chalk dust and I was thirsty at this time, I walked over to the other end of the NEW CANTEEN to get myself the standard drink of a lemonade as well as to wash my hands. I tell you, the drink's stall auntie probably makes enough money to buy an S-Class mercs. Just judging by the theory of "Cost and Production" and "Revenue and Super-Normal Profit". Ah... 60 cents for a small cup of lemonade! Fantastic business theory!

For some strange reason, that I do not know why, or how it turns out to be. After I had washed my hands off the blue caking mess of tailor's chalk. I found that She was queuing just right in front of me when I reached the drinks stall! The boyfriend in tow of course. Now remember, I have to respect this guy. He's probably got everything almost any girl would want - Looks, Character, Personality, Blah blah and all the other associated superficial things that we act like it doesn't matter at all - yet feel that it really does matter when coming to a homeward bound conclusion.
She was the secret JC crush after all. Like I said and blogged before. "Someone who is often so near... yet so far away". I cannot help but admire her flawless complexion and all. Woopf!

The sour lemonade. Tasted surpringly sweet that day. Only to leave a bitter aftertaste in my stomach at the same time. The rest of the day will have its memories blogged about in time to come. This post links one two places down. Same day. Just a few hours apart.

While, I didn't tell anyone about her. And it has been so long already, I doubt any of my classmates will be able to recall this day with such a clarity and hence identify who she is. I never told anyone in JC. And to be honest, when I didn't see her at the J-Four reunion last year. I was a little bit dissapointed. Then again, I am told that she is happily attached still. It is wise never to admire someone so intensely from so short a distance. It is truely unwise. Because it only spoils the heart. Causes the strangest of thoughts powered by within.

That is why picture 5 is so special to me. Because it is the key to one of my memories of her. The rest of the pictures will have their days and posts to come. I know that I said that I won't blog about girls on my blog. But this is one exception. And there is one more to come...

Why do... birds... suddenly appear?
Everytime... You are near?
Just like me... they long to be...
Close to you...

-Gerald Levert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home