Escape From Paradise - Cycling through Pengerrang and Singapore
Escape From Paradise - Cycling through Pengerrang and Singapore
Before photography, and before computers. I used to engage in mountain biking. I used to be very enthusiastic about cycling until I was involved in a serious accident while on Bukit Timah Mountain Biking Trail. It was raining and I slammed my brakes on a slick and smooth piece of granite inclining steeply downwards - lost my balance and took a great fall. It ended with my handlebars giving me a nice, tight armlock to my right arm. I tore the ligaments in my knee as well as all the tendons in my left wrist and was bruised all over. Thank God, my cycling buddy on that day, another joker from ACJC, saw me take my crash and came quickly to aid me. Thank God.
Very coincidentially, the last person who probably saw my injuries, nicely covered up under the sleeves of a shirt save a few bruises, and long pants, was no other than Cherie herself. My class was having a class barbeque that very day and somehow, both my class as well as Cherie's ended up meeting in the same MRT station somewhere in the East. My mom asked me to give up cycling thereafter, citing safety concerns - which I did, eventually, until just about two weeks ago.
Someone organised a trip to cycle from Singapore all the way to Desaru in Pengerrang, Johor and back. And I'm glad I went for the trip. Its terribly euphoric to go back to doing something that I really used to enjoy a great deal 4 years ago. It was quite tiring actually, given my poor physical state - especially on those uphills. At the same time, it was quite rewarding to proceed at the leisurely pace over three days and two nights and having the opportunity to take more than a few snapshots along the way. I'll let the pictures do the talking, with a little commentary to each of them. Its interesting, that as a beginner. Most people use a wide angle lens to capture landscape photographs. However, as noted with a good number of professional landscape photographers... they are able to use telephoto lenses as well - to the desired effect...

We cycled down East Coast Parkway, went up along that entire stretch of Changi Coast Road, and then took the ferry from Changi Creek to Pengerrang Jetty. It was about two hours. Its nice being in a small little boat - rocked around by the waves and having the salted wind blow strongly against one's face. This picture was taken as the little ferry boat we were in passed by one of the land reclaimation barriers that bounded the sector east of Singapore that is under land reclaimation works. You know, the one that Malaysia is making noise about and taking Singapore to the ICJ for?

Just four of us went on this particular cycling trip. My bicycle is the one with the blue tires. Its one of the best models when I bought it in 2001. It comes with excellent front and rear suspension, disc brakes as well as smooth thoroughput and quick gear shifts. The brakes are the same ones that caused my accident 4 years ago - when the tires skidded on that slick granite surface.

It rained heavily upon our arrival in Pengerrang. Not that we could not cycle in the rain, at the same time, the rain halted our progress as we sought shelter in a school along the route. The rain was a brief and quick one. The best thing being that after a rain, the landscape becomes that more richer and has this deeper saturation in its colors. We passed by this solitary abandoned house in along a field after the rain stopped.

After about another 2 hours of cycling, we made a major turn off the main road we were cycling upon into a more minor road - headed straight for a little town known as Sunggei Rengit, where were would rest for the night. This was taken just before we made the "big turn". The skies began to clear up at this time and the air was just about -that- much fresher. The landscape was a very welcome change from what I've always been accustomed to seeing in urbanised and cityscape Singapore. Life seems to be more laid back and the general atmosphere of the place is just plain peaceful.

Another shot along a random rest stop on the way. The sky is blown out once again. Exposure is still not up to standard for this one. I'm particularly fussy about proper accurate exposures. Especially for landscape photography. I guess in time to come, I will have to invest in a proper set of filters that will be a good aid to proper exposure.

The last shot taken on my first day, before we headed to take a rest in our hotel room. Most expert cyclists would probably only take 3 to 4 hours, including ferry time to cover the same distance we took one whole day which to cycle at our leisurely pace. This picture is actually of a giant sandstone rock outcrop where a waste oil dumping facility makes it home. The rain gives the already reddish rocks an even darker and more saturated tone. Pity that I did not expose the picture properly and promptly - the sky looks all faded and washed out. Yet I'll learn from my mistakes. Better pictures in future.

Our 2nd day on the leisurely cycling trip was marked by one of beautiful blue skies as well as a bakingly hot sun. Despite my efforts at applying a thick coating of sunblock on all my exposed skin - it did no help. The weather was very hot - I consumed about 6 litres of water over the course of five hours. We made many "pit stops" along the way to have a drink at all the road side coffeeshops. Watching as life passed by on the long, solitary road that we peddaled upon. Life really seems to be very laid back and carefree here.

It was a very hot day. And there are no trees along the way for shelter from the sun. The back of my neck was thoroughly sunburnt to a nice and very dark tan.

Just about 10km from Desaru. We stopped for a drink along a small stall serving drinks by the beach along the coast of the sea. It was a beautiful sight. The picture does not adequately express the whole breadth of the landscape.

Taken after we arrived at Desaru. It was around 2p.m. It was a beautiful day, sadly, the currents were too strong and so swimming was no allowed on the beach. I'm wearing the ACJC Fun-O-Rama white smiley shirt. Its good to wear either a white or red shirt when cycling. For safety reasons, it enhances visibility from afar. Photographs after this are taken on the return leg of the journey.

Because temperatures had soared so much throughout the day. After we begain our return leg of the journey back to our hotel room. The air smelt strongly of burnt leaves. Looking up, we could see large swathes of smoke along the landscape. Thus we decided to take a much longer detour - for the sake of our health as well as in a bid to expore the lesser travelled roads.

Along the way, as we were racing on a moderate downhill slope in a single file. Suddenly, the front cyclist jammed his brakes. Causing the rest to crash into him save me. My disc brakes managed to stop me in time. Yes, the veyr brakes that caused my accident prevented me from joining the lump of people before my eyes. The reason why the front cyclist jammed his brakes? The picture says it all.

Passing through various kampungs along the way as we made our detail. We stopped every now and then for a break as well as to sample food from the road side stalls. There was this shop were we stopped for dinner. We ordered kang kong and after a moment and some observation, realised that the cook went to the back of his garden to gather the kang kong! Quite interesting actually. Fresher than fresh I guess.

A brilliant sunset illuminates the rock outcrops as we manage to arrive back to Sunggei Rengit just before sunset. It has been a complete day of cycling - and a very tiring one. Even with the numerous breaks and leisurely pace we were pursuing. I got my 1st degree sunburnt on all the exposed parts of my skin. Not too bad I guess. Everyone has a good rest, before making the final return leg of the journey the following day.

It was fun cycling back towards Pengerrang jetty on a saturday even as we saw many Singaporeans approaching in the opposite direction. Actually, quite alot of Singaporeans. Some just beginner cyclists, some were outdoor activity groups. And others were expert cyclists on their professional racing bikes. Nothing new. I guess that I was pretty happy to reach the jetty - knowing that the 40 minute ferry ride would give my tired legs a good rest.


In the ferry. Resting and just watching the world past by.


Shots taken at Bedok Jetty. Stock full of fishermen and cyclists. We take the easy route of the East Coast Park cycling track back to our final destination. Home. Tired and happy. Not many pictures I guess. But perhaps a sampling. And its good to be back home.

I walked 2km to take this photograph from Benjamin Sheares Bridge just 2 days ago with Nico. I guess the picture speaks for itself. Worth all the time and the effort. Not the mention money invested in a good tripod as well as ballhead. Singapore it is.
I figured a simple "pictures-heavy" update would be nice after all the intensive writing of the previous posts. And for once, I actually don't cringe when I read a past blog post - the previous one. =)
Before photography, and before computers. I used to engage in mountain biking. I used to be very enthusiastic about cycling until I was involved in a serious accident while on Bukit Timah Mountain Biking Trail. It was raining and I slammed my brakes on a slick and smooth piece of granite inclining steeply downwards - lost my balance and took a great fall. It ended with my handlebars giving me a nice, tight armlock to my right arm. I tore the ligaments in my knee as well as all the tendons in my left wrist and was bruised all over. Thank God, my cycling buddy on that day, another joker from ACJC, saw me take my crash and came quickly to aid me. Thank God.
Very coincidentially, the last person who probably saw my injuries, nicely covered up under the sleeves of a shirt save a few bruises, and long pants, was no other than Cherie herself. My class was having a class barbeque that very day and somehow, both my class as well as Cherie's ended up meeting in the same MRT station somewhere in the East. My mom asked me to give up cycling thereafter, citing safety concerns - which I did, eventually, until just about two weeks ago.
Someone organised a trip to cycle from Singapore all the way to Desaru in Pengerrang, Johor and back. And I'm glad I went for the trip. Its terribly euphoric to go back to doing something that I really used to enjoy a great deal 4 years ago. It was quite tiring actually, given my poor physical state - especially on those uphills. At the same time, it was quite rewarding to proceed at the leisurely pace over three days and two nights and having the opportunity to take more than a few snapshots along the way. I'll let the pictures do the talking, with a little commentary to each of them. Its interesting, that as a beginner. Most people use a wide angle lens to capture landscape photographs. However, as noted with a good number of professional landscape photographers... they are able to use telephoto lenses as well - to the desired effect...

We cycled down East Coast Parkway, went up along that entire stretch of Changi Coast Road, and then took the ferry from Changi Creek to Pengerrang Jetty. It was about two hours. Its nice being in a small little boat - rocked around by the waves and having the salted wind blow strongly against one's face. This picture was taken as the little ferry boat we were in passed by one of the land reclaimation barriers that bounded the sector east of Singapore that is under land reclaimation works. You know, the one that Malaysia is making noise about and taking Singapore to the ICJ for?

Just four of us went on this particular cycling trip. My bicycle is the one with the blue tires. Its one of the best models when I bought it in 2001. It comes with excellent front and rear suspension, disc brakes as well as smooth thoroughput and quick gear shifts. The brakes are the same ones that caused my accident 4 years ago - when the tires skidded on that slick granite surface.

It rained heavily upon our arrival in Pengerrang. Not that we could not cycle in the rain, at the same time, the rain halted our progress as we sought shelter in a school along the route. The rain was a brief and quick one. The best thing being that after a rain, the landscape becomes that more richer and has this deeper saturation in its colors. We passed by this solitary abandoned house in along a field after the rain stopped.

After about another 2 hours of cycling, we made a major turn off the main road we were cycling upon into a more minor road - headed straight for a little town known as Sunggei Rengit, where were would rest for the night. This was taken just before we made the "big turn". The skies began to clear up at this time and the air was just about -that- much fresher. The landscape was a very welcome change from what I've always been accustomed to seeing in urbanised and cityscape Singapore. Life seems to be more laid back and the general atmosphere of the place is just plain peaceful.

Another shot along a random rest stop on the way. The sky is blown out once again. Exposure is still not up to standard for this one. I'm particularly fussy about proper accurate exposures. Especially for landscape photography. I guess in time to come, I will have to invest in a proper set of filters that will be a good aid to proper exposure.

The last shot taken on my first day, before we headed to take a rest in our hotel room. Most expert cyclists would probably only take 3 to 4 hours, including ferry time to cover the same distance we took one whole day which to cycle at our leisurely pace. This picture is actually of a giant sandstone rock outcrop where a waste oil dumping facility makes it home. The rain gives the already reddish rocks an even darker and more saturated tone. Pity that I did not expose the picture properly and promptly - the sky looks all faded and washed out. Yet I'll learn from my mistakes. Better pictures in future.

Our 2nd day on the leisurely cycling trip was marked by one of beautiful blue skies as well as a bakingly hot sun. Despite my efforts at applying a thick coating of sunblock on all my exposed skin - it did no help. The weather was very hot - I consumed about 6 litres of water over the course of five hours. We made many "pit stops" along the way to have a drink at all the road side coffeeshops. Watching as life passed by on the long, solitary road that we peddaled upon. Life really seems to be very laid back and carefree here.

It was a very hot day. And there are no trees along the way for shelter from the sun. The back of my neck was thoroughly sunburnt to a nice and very dark tan.

Just about 10km from Desaru. We stopped for a drink along a small stall serving drinks by the beach along the coast of the sea. It was a beautiful sight. The picture does not adequately express the whole breadth of the landscape.

Taken after we arrived at Desaru. It was around 2p.m. It was a beautiful day, sadly, the currents were too strong and so swimming was no allowed on the beach. I'm wearing the ACJC Fun-O-Rama white smiley shirt. Its good to wear either a white or red shirt when cycling. For safety reasons, it enhances visibility from afar. Photographs after this are taken on the return leg of the journey.

Because temperatures had soared so much throughout the day. After we begain our return leg of the journey back to our hotel room. The air smelt strongly of burnt leaves. Looking up, we could see large swathes of smoke along the landscape. Thus we decided to take a much longer detour - for the sake of our health as well as in a bid to expore the lesser travelled roads.

Along the way, as we were racing on a moderate downhill slope in a single file. Suddenly, the front cyclist jammed his brakes. Causing the rest to crash into him save me. My disc brakes managed to stop me in time. Yes, the veyr brakes that caused my accident prevented me from joining the lump of people before my eyes. The reason why the front cyclist jammed his brakes? The picture says it all.

Passing through various kampungs along the way as we made our detail. We stopped every now and then for a break as well as to sample food from the road side stalls. There was this shop were we stopped for dinner. We ordered kang kong and after a moment and some observation, realised that the cook went to the back of his garden to gather the kang kong! Quite interesting actually. Fresher than fresh I guess.

A brilliant sunset illuminates the rock outcrops as we manage to arrive back to Sunggei Rengit just before sunset. It has been a complete day of cycling - and a very tiring one. Even with the numerous breaks and leisurely pace we were pursuing. I got my 1st degree sunburnt on all the exposed parts of my skin. Not too bad I guess. Everyone has a good rest, before making the final return leg of the journey the following day.

It was fun cycling back towards Pengerrang jetty on a saturday even as we saw many Singaporeans approaching in the opposite direction. Actually, quite alot of Singaporeans. Some just beginner cyclists, some were outdoor activity groups. And others were expert cyclists on their professional racing bikes. Nothing new. I guess that I was pretty happy to reach the jetty - knowing that the 40 minute ferry ride would give my tired legs a good rest.


In the ferry. Resting and just watching the world past by.


Shots taken at Bedok Jetty. Stock full of fishermen and cyclists. We take the easy route of the East Coast Park cycling track back to our final destination. Home. Tired and happy. Not many pictures I guess. But perhaps a sampling. And its good to be back home.

I walked 2km to take this photograph from Benjamin Sheares Bridge just 2 days ago with Nico. I guess the picture speaks for itself. Worth all the time and the effort. Not the mention money invested in a good tripod as well as ballhead. Singapore it is.
I figured a simple "pictures-heavy" update would be nice after all the intensive writing of the previous posts. And for once, I actually don't cringe when I read a past blog post - the previous one. =)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home