Thursday, July 15

Rainbow After the Storm

When I left the base for night shift yesterday, I walked through on a jetty that was about at least an inch high in water. The rain was really heavy in our area. Visibility was very poor, perhaps just half a nautical mile at maximum. The sea state was violent, the waves were choppy.

To compound this, our radar was down! Then there was short circuit which killed power to the entire boat save the few emergency lights onboard. My crew commander, who is a Maly/Muslim just turned to me and said, "Pray to God that we'll reach our area safely". Never had I been in any situation more worst than this in my whole life in NS thus far.

Of course, so I whispered a quiet prayer to the Lord and He reminded me of Psalms 121:8 - The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore. I know its plastered in some wall in one of ACS Instituitions. I just can't remember. Funny how back at reunions someone told me all those verses that were on the walls of the school only made sense when they left the place. I agree.

Immediately, believe it or not, the rain stopped. No rain at all. Perfect visibility for 5 nautical miles! We managed to restart our generator and had full power restored. Later, I managed to fix the short-circuited wires onboard that was the trigger of all the entire generator shutting off due to earth leakage.

When I was fiddling around with the wires, suddenly, I felt my arms go numb all of a sudden. And then they started to tremble uncontrollably for a while. After a few minutes the trembling subsided and it was only then that I realised that I had accidentally brushed my elbow against a high voltage circuit pipeline that was wet. I guessed that I could have ended up on the floor when I later saw that it was rated "24A". So thank God.

And to top it all off, this was what those onboard saw in the morning.



A beautiful rainbow! It was so vast and so wide that my camera's widest angle setting was not even able to photograph the entire thing from end to end. Even better than a sunrise! If you look closely you'll notice that there is a second, more faint rainbow directly on top of the clearer one. I was told in physics lectures that rainbows always come in pairs due to some complex diffraction effect that happens when light is split up in a raindrop.

Well I guess I can only say that God is really good all the time! =D I'm damn happy today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home