The normal distribution was derived by a German Mathematician, Karl Frederick Gauss in the 18th Century. Gauss was known to be a mathematical genius. Probably the John Nash of his day. It was noted that when he started his very first day of school. He gave the answers to the questions even before the teacher during arithmetric clases even before the teacher had completed writing them out, after saying the questions orally. Before the Euro, Gauss was tributed with a Normal Distribution and its generic formula on every 5 Mark German note.
I was once told by a mathematician that within the bell shaped curve of the normal distribution, of course with regards to how "high" or "wide" it was, it could technically explain plenty of things. It could explain the rich-poor divide, the taking up rate of fashion, the rate of change in general, even the education system, even the choices people made. "X~N(a,b)" was the Game Theory was well as Zero-Sum Gain of its day.
Very often, there is this path that lies right in front of us. Its well plotted out, the path is well worn, stocked full of people going upon this particular path. Noteworthy is that there are plenty of people at the beginning that egg us to join the group, and there are plenty of people at the end to look at as shining examples for a completed journey. Along the way, the sides of the path are lined with many others who have completed the "journey", cheering us on. Encouraging the wearing, cheering on the Faithful.
The similiarities between the Walk as Christian as well as the path that we have set out for a vast majority of the secular world is an uncanny one indeed. There is a Wide Path and a Narrow Path. There are pathways with vast numbers of people, yet paths that are dark, secluded and lonely that past through dense undergrowth. There are paths were our footprints as well as that of others remain forever. Yet there are paths along the beach that get washed away as soon as they are imprinted.
Perhaps looking at life itself, in existence, in realising that we only have one life to live to an unknown age which might be characteriscally large, or tragically short. It would be best to do what we have desired to do in our hearts. Of course, it may not cost a cent to dream, but to realise a dream, it might take billions as well as considerable amount of sweat, tears, pain and hardwork. Dreams are like a hope that we desire to bring into reality into this world.
Many a times, I've realised that the only thing that probably separates two simliar people in life as well as their achievements, successes, or significance would be the dreams that they have, how convicted they are about their dreams with respect to their own life's experiences. Experiences shape our attitudes, our emotions, our desires as well as fashion our hearts whether to pursue whatever dreams we may have, or forever wait out and to never go ahead.
Funny, when I was born, like into any typical Chinese family. There is tradition, culture, lifestyles to be "fixed" to. I would say that for the most part of my life, I have mixed with people that desire the "6 years primary schoo, 4 years secondary school, 2 year's jc, army, university life, get a job, settle down, buy a flat, buy a car, have children, save up money, retire, die". Of course it may not sound so simplistic for most people. But very generally, as far as ideality is concerned, most people usually go that path. Yet at the same time, we squeeze in other things that shape our life experiences that shape our character.
Almost like the bell part of the normal distribution. Almost like a Wide Path that everyone walks upon. Its crowded, perhaps its like a herd mentality, and perhaps the mindset of "safety in numbes" does play a logical part. Is the "burning bush" dream of our society at this juncture of relativistic time? (and space?) I don't know. Perhaps just as well, a lack of desire to pursue one's dreams.
I love self-disovery. There is always something to learn about myself as well the other party when I learn about others. So far, the most inspiring read of this year would definitely be National Geographic Photographer Michael Yamashita's "Marco-Polo Journey". Something that he does over the span of 2 years to retrace the footsteps of Marco-Polo and to test out if the volumes of writings are truly genuine? I love history, culture, learniing about other people, travelling, photography, outdoor activities (as much as an introvert as I am). Truly, what he has done is something worthy of much applause and appreciation. In the span of two years, a great deal of self discovery, learning, inspiring of interests, the use of talents and the overall fun is something that cannot be bought.
Such off the road journeys are always not easy to undertake. Sometimes they just start out as a simple dream, but like Michael Yamashita's case, they take enourmous resources to fulfil and to breathe into reality. What drives us? Is it our parents, our need for employment? Our need for security? Practical Reasons? Spiritual Reasons? Or are we willing to be so incredibly "maverick" as to let our dreams decide the course and destiny of our lives? Of course, all reasons are valid to the person who makes it and of course, God often makes the best decisions for us based on His Will. Yet I can't help but ponder.
I was told in church by someone very encouring in my "don't be afraid to dream big dreams for God". What's the biggest dream so big that I can imagine that if God doesn't work for me and doesn't help me and if it isn't from God. It will be guaranteed to fail? I guess I've found one. Its not to be an extremely wealth person who owns 9 sports cars. Most likely not a college professor (I like to talk and teach, but think it dull and boring), not a policeman for sure (argh). for the most part of my life, I believe that if I work hard enough, I can usually achieve these things that I set out to do. They are technically, "achievable without God".
I find that I although I'm quite a sad person most of the time, perhaps even to the point of suicidal depression, chronic nervousness that is masked by my phlegmatic personality. I realise that I become very happy if I help someone. Especially the less fortunate, the disadvantaged. My idea is NOT standing in the hot sun soliciting for donations as I dread meeting new people or even wording with total strangers. Perhaps it would be mroe proactive. Something like directly helping the elderly, disabled, poor and so on. Something with tangible benefit as well as definitive action that will try my character, patience definitely as well as what is really inside my heart.
What's my dream so big that if God doesn't help me for sure, I'm going to crash so badly? Probably this: Enter the University Scholars Program at Washington University and Study Medicine concurrently as I study for my bachelors. This is absolutely crazy! How do I balance a liberal arts bachelor's degree, enjoy campus activities, go touring around the States, study abroad, meet new people, experience new experiences, study areas that are furthest away from my major as well as subjects that I have an interest in. The best thing is that I have never taken Biology in my life. I dropped chemistry after the O levels. I've been trained all my life to be "an Engineering" type of student. To switch to medicine and become a doctor would be a the biggest, most outrageous, craziest, out of point dream I would ever have.
And yes, I'll have to mantain a G.P.A of 3.8 MINIMUM if not I'll get kicked out of the program. Much less can I enter.
My goal? Its very very simple. I'll treat people for free. Not a cent. And I'll do it in Third World Countries where there is a dire need of medical help. I realise that I will be a very happy person if I can go help the masses by curing them. It is like a deep sense of purpose for myself. I can't stand doctors who overcharge people, cure people for money as well as those who can't wait to jump ship from the public sector to the private sector for the sake of money. In Singapore, there is about 1.6 doctors to 1000 patients (explains the super long queues and over-bookings). In other countries it is WORST! It sucks.
If I'm a doctor overseas, whether with the United Nations or just by myself on private sponsership. I'll get to see the world still, experience new experiences, delve into a country's history, culture, tradition and so on. Oh yes, did I mention that a doctor can get a visa to any country in the world? Even if it is a closed country? Iran? Iraq? Afghanistan? North Korea? Frankly, I'm not so worried about my life. I realise that doctors are treated with great respect in these countries to the point that if there is a war going on, there is a "general order" by both sides to never shoot at doctors/nurses. War Zone or not, I don't care. There are too many people dying without adequate medical care.
Isn't this a super suepr ultra crazy dream? Isn't it guaranteed to fail? Is it even from God????
Washington University has the 2nd best medical school in America. It is ranked on par with the Elite John Hopkins University and is just a notch below the Harvard Medical School. How am I going to enter the most selective medical school in the world? Without Bio and Chem as well! The medical degree is recognised worldwide. And yes, with that I can get a visa to North Korea. I don't know. But this is the craziest dream I've ever had in my life. I'm shaking as I type this out. I feel like blogging this out just as a way of emotional release for me. God help me.
I was once told by a mathematician that within the bell shaped curve of the normal distribution, of course with regards to how "high" or "wide" it was, it could technically explain plenty of things. It could explain the rich-poor divide, the taking up rate of fashion, the rate of change in general, even the education system, even the choices people made. "X~N(a,b)" was the Game Theory was well as Zero-Sum Gain of its day.
Very often, there is this path that lies right in front of us. Its well plotted out, the path is well worn, stocked full of people going upon this particular path. Noteworthy is that there are plenty of people at the beginning that egg us to join the group, and there are plenty of people at the end to look at as shining examples for a completed journey. Along the way, the sides of the path are lined with many others who have completed the "journey", cheering us on. Encouraging the wearing, cheering on the Faithful.
The similiarities between the Walk as Christian as well as the path that we have set out for a vast majority of the secular world is an uncanny one indeed. There is a Wide Path and a Narrow Path. There are pathways with vast numbers of people, yet paths that are dark, secluded and lonely that past through dense undergrowth. There are paths were our footprints as well as that of others remain forever. Yet there are paths along the beach that get washed away as soon as they are imprinted.
Perhaps looking at life itself, in existence, in realising that we only have one life to live to an unknown age which might be characteriscally large, or tragically short. It would be best to do what we have desired to do in our hearts. Of course, it may not cost a cent to dream, but to realise a dream, it might take billions as well as considerable amount of sweat, tears, pain and hardwork. Dreams are like a hope that we desire to bring into reality into this world.
Many a times, I've realised that the only thing that probably separates two simliar people in life as well as their achievements, successes, or significance would be the dreams that they have, how convicted they are about their dreams with respect to their own life's experiences. Experiences shape our attitudes, our emotions, our desires as well as fashion our hearts whether to pursue whatever dreams we may have, or forever wait out and to never go ahead.
Funny, when I was born, like into any typical Chinese family. There is tradition, culture, lifestyles to be "fixed" to. I would say that for the most part of my life, I have mixed with people that desire the "6 years primary schoo, 4 years secondary school, 2 year's jc, army, university life, get a job, settle down, buy a flat, buy a car, have children, save up money, retire, die". Of course it may not sound so simplistic for most people. But very generally, as far as ideality is concerned, most people usually go that path. Yet at the same time, we squeeze in other things that shape our life experiences that shape our character.
Almost like the bell part of the normal distribution. Almost like a Wide Path that everyone walks upon. Its crowded, perhaps its like a herd mentality, and perhaps the mindset of "safety in numbes" does play a logical part. Is the "burning bush" dream of our society at this juncture of relativistic time? (and space?) I don't know. Perhaps just as well, a lack of desire to pursue one's dreams.
I love self-disovery. There is always something to learn about myself as well the other party when I learn about others. So far, the most inspiring read of this year would definitely be National Geographic Photographer Michael Yamashita's "Marco-Polo Journey". Something that he does over the span of 2 years to retrace the footsteps of Marco-Polo and to test out if the volumes of writings are truly genuine? I love history, culture, learniing about other people, travelling, photography, outdoor activities (as much as an introvert as I am). Truly, what he has done is something worthy of much applause and appreciation. In the span of two years, a great deal of self discovery, learning, inspiring of interests, the use of talents and the overall fun is something that cannot be bought.
Such off the road journeys are always not easy to undertake. Sometimes they just start out as a simple dream, but like Michael Yamashita's case, they take enourmous resources to fulfil and to breathe into reality. What drives us? Is it our parents, our need for employment? Our need for security? Practical Reasons? Spiritual Reasons? Or are we willing to be so incredibly "maverick" as to let our dreams decide the course and destiny of our lives? Of course, all reasons are valid to the person who makes it and of course, God often makes the best decisions for us based on His Will. Yet I can't help but ponder.
I was told in church by someone very encouring in my "don't be afraid to dream big dreams for God". What's the biggest dream so big that I can imagine that if God doesn't work for me and doesn't help me and if it isn't from God. It will be guaranteed to fail? I guess I've found one. Its not to be an extremely wealth person who owns 9 sports cars. Most likely not a college professor (I like to talk and teach, but think it dull and boring), not a policeman for sure (argh). for the most part of my life, I believe that if I work hard enough, I can usually achieve these things that I set out to do. They are technically, "achievable without God".
I find that I although I'm quite a sad person most of the time, perhaps even to the point of suicidal depression, chronic nervousness that is masked by my phlegmatic personality. I realise that I become very happy if I help someone. Especially the less fortunate, the disadvantaged. My idea is NOT standing in the hot sun soliciting for donations as I dread meeting new people or even wording with total strangers. Perhaps it would be mroe proactive. Something like directly helping the elderly, disabled, poor and so on. Something with tangible benefit as well as definitive action that will try my character, patience definitely as well as what is really inside my heart.
What's my dream so big that if God doesn't help me for sure, I'm going to crash so badly? Probably this: Enter the University Scholars Program at Washington University and Study Medicine concurrently as I study for my bachelors. This is absolutely crazy! How do I balance a liberal arts bachelor's degree, enjoy campus activities, go touring around the States, study abroad, meet new people, experience new experiences, study areas that are furthest away from my major as well as subjects that I have an interest in. The best thing is that I have never taken Biology in my life. I dropped chemistry after the O levels. I've been trained all my life to be "an Engineering" type of student. To switch to medicine and become a doctor would be a the biggest, most outrageous, craziest, out of point dream I would ever have.
And yes, I'll have to mantain a G.P.A of 3.8 MINIMUM if not I'll get kicked out of the program. Much less can I enter.
My goal? Its very very simple. I'll treat people for free. Not a cent. And I'll do it in Third World Countries where there is a dire need of medical help. I realise that I will be a very happy person if I can go help the masses by curing them. It is like a deep sense of purpose for myself. I can't stand doctors who overcharge people, cure people for money as well as those who can't wait to jump ship from the public sector to the private sector for the sake of money. In Singapore, there is about 1.6 doctors to 1000 patients (explains the super long queues and over-bookings). In other countries it is WORST! It sucks.
If I'm a doctor overseas, whether with the United Nations or just by myself on private sponsership. I'll get to see the world still, experience new experiences, delve into a country's history, culture, tradition and so on. Oh yes, did I mention that a doctor can get a visa to any country in the world? Even if it is a closed country? Iran? Iraq? Afghanistan? North Korea? Frankly, I'm not so worried about my life. I realise that doctors are treated with great respect in these countries to the point that if there is a war going on, there is a "general order" by both sides to never shoot at doctors/nurses. War Zone or not, I don't care. There are too many people dying without adequate medical care.
Isn't this a super suepr ultra crazy dream? Isn't it guaranteed to fail? Is it even from God????
Washington University has the 2nd best medical school in America. It is ranked on par with the Elite John Hopkins University and is just a notch below the Harvard Medical School. How am I going to enter the most selective medical school in the world? Without Bio and Chem as well! The medical degree is recognised worldwide. And yes, with that I can get a visa to North Korea. I don't know. But this is the craziest dream I've ever had in my life. I'm shaking as I type this out. I feel like blogging this out just as a way of emotional release for me. God help me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home