Saturday, January 17

Listening to Don Moen - Give Thanks

When I received my A level results last year, I still remember the last minute "Thanksgiving Service Cellgroup" hastily organised. We were songs of thanksgiving to God in the New Canteen. The songleader was no other than the president's scholar Winston Chin.

At first it felt very weird. Most of the people around me were from SC1. Everyone had like anything from 8 distinctions for their A's down to 5 straight A's. Strangely, I guess both Matt and I must have felt rather out of place then and there as neither one of us scored a single A in our A level subjects.

Aunty Ros was with us, as with Daniel Khor and Mr Loo. Then Winston led us in this song, Give Thanks. I've sung this song my whole life in ACS, but as far as revealing to me to give thanks to God as far as possible, the true meaning only dawned upon me that day. I almost cried. The meaning only hit me that day. Despite growing up on all these "familiar methodist tunes", I only understood the meaning at a later date.

I can remember almost everyone's face. Some are at Ann-Arbor, others at Stanford, some to the UK, and many on scholarships to the top US/UK universities. The cream of the academic crop in the whole school. Its been a great pleasure to know many of them as a whole chunk are in the F-Maths combination.

Give Thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ
His Son
And now, let the weak say I am strong
Let the poor say I am rich
Because of what
The Lord has done for us


At that time, I felt quite miserable. Perhas I didn't work hard enough, but I'm quite sure I did. Maybe I wasn't performing to the best of my ability at the A's. But nevermind, at the end of the day, I don't seek to blame others or other factors. I seek to put the blame squarely on myself. I felt that I had let many people down. I did feel that God had let me down.

But I've learnt in more than one cellgroup meetings, more than one church service, more than one person's worth of sharing that I MUST give thanks to God no matter what the situation. But really, singing the song really made my heart ache. I almost couldn't bring myself to do so.

"Give Thanks, let the WEAK say that I am STRONG, because of what the LORD has done for US"

Today I received this:



Thank God. Without a cert of straight A's, I made it to one of the Top 10 Universities in America. How can I not thank the Lord? It is definitely out of His Grace and Mercy that such is possible.

And as We worship build Your Throne
And as we worship build the Throne
And as we worship build the Throne
Come Lord Jesus and Take Your place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home