windows sucks
blogger's been having alot of problems lately. The editing panels open with unexplained javascript errors and apparently, minimising the window whilst typing an entry will automaticaly make blogger ask you if you want to "save" it or "delete" it. Terrible interface! I'm going to switch to my own host next year on movable type. If I can find a better deal on a Linux Server I'll gladly take it and PAY for it. Not worth investing your computer software and hardware on windows based systems. Windows cannot make it. Long Live Linux and the Penguin! Windows can go suck it. Red Hat, Mandrake, Gentoo Linux have done very well indeed. I hope it will be the downfall of mircosoft sometime in the future.
Too bad, wonder why people desire to pay thousands of dollars for original windows software, office suite of software and anti viruses, live through constant crashes, virus threats, hacking attempts when Linux can be had for 20 dollars on CD or downloaded free off the net. No crashes, no viruses, almost impervious to hacking and as easy to use as windows. C'mon! All change at one time can? Even the free Word Editors, Presentation editors and Spreadsheet software in Linux is comparable to that off, or even exceeds Office XP Pro.
There are forever MILLIONS of security holes in windows, allowing your private data to be sniffed and downloaded off your system. Linux is so secure they use it for credit card transactions. Amazon uses Linux to save costs instead of spending 2000 bucks on a copy of Windows Server 2003. Cheap and VERY good. Now who dares to make the switch and be different?
saturday afternoon till monday morning
The patrol on Saturday was quite simple and routine. I've ended up with the same area for 3 patrols area. I'm getting sick of seeing the place. Besides, I'm always like the 3rd last boat to get back on dry land. Its so boring! No ships, the radar is forever set at "0.5 Nm" range and it is so dull, so boring in the day and night.
Came to base early and had the opportunity to see the commados free fall into the stadium from the jetty. The view on the jetty was certainly better than most of the people seated on the banks of the Kallang Basin - so that's a bonus I'd say. In addition, We could see the bomb burst salute for the the president as well as the roaring F-16s which had turned on their AfterBurners.
Power man! F-16 running AfterBurners! SO LOUD! Oh yeah, I think the pilots wear noise-cancelling headphones designed by BOSE that effectively generate "anti-noise" to cancel out the roar of the engines. If not, I think almost all jet fighter pilots in the Air Force would be totally deaf!
As I was pushing our boat's stuff on the jetty, the fireworks display went off. So everyone stoppef for a minute or two to observe the brillaint sparks lighting up the sky. If anyone can improt fireworks into Singapore and just sell it to the NDP people each year. I think that that person need not work for almost the whole year. Just that one day. 60 Million dollars worth of fireworks in sales can easily make a tidy profit for a few millions. Why not? Anyone wanna go through the terrible bureaucracy in Singapore to import "Dangerous and Explosive Goods"? Can cry I tell you.
Even Sim Wong Hoo realises that it is horrible to be entrepreneurial in Singapore. If not, I'm sure he'd have set up the virtual campus in Singapore and not in Malaysia. The "Civil Service" better wake up soon before our country's very own bureaucracy strangles us with miles of red tape. "Remaking Singapore Committee" Where the HELL have you NUTCASES been? Forever trying to negotiate deals with NTUC right? CUT the RED TAPE! Not ADD MORE!
And they say we are not being entrepreneurial enough. People don't take a step forward unless they know that that first step is safe to take. Especially in money-conscious Singapore.
Very Boring the Patrol. Seriously. I slept at about midnight and overslept. Supposed to wake up at 4 but ended up getting up at 5. In the end, I just chatted with my crew commander for the next three hours and talked about everything under the sun. Basically, I think as long as I can upkeep a good conversation and have a good listening ear, it'll be good enough to pass time by quickly.
The only highlight was when one of the crew, another SC went to fool around with the radio set and started to sing "One United People" to all the other Coast Guard Vessels. He ended up being scolded by the Ops room. Funny.
Our boat's hot water pot and microwave oven were both out. So no choice, Go find another boat on patrol, go alongside and then cross over to get hot water for the Instant Mee. And worst, the entire crew except me smoked! So in the end I was stuck in an atmosphere of smoke smoke and more smoke. Worst, all of them are heavy smokers, like at least 2 stick every half an hour. I hope they drop into the sea the next time they light up their cigarettes.
Smoke Smoke Smoke... Everywhere also smoke! Smoke in the toilet, changing room locker room, classroom, lecture hall, boat, base, outside. Terrible! I ought to get myself some N-95 Mask if I go on patrol man. The second hand smoke is so bad, my uniform REEKS of cigarette smoke after my tour of duty. What's so "cool" about a habit that kills you? Its cool to kill yourself? Then go jump off a block of flats! Faster! Why drag people like me along with you!
And all those people at clubs and bars think that they are oh-so-cool when they light up. I think they have no brains in their skull. Just a collection of tobacco ashes and smoke which needs to be replenished all the time. Hence the "urge" to light up. I hope the government make one small pack of cigarettes cost like 30 bucks or something. That'll really discourage them!
ministry at work
Mom picked me up from the base after patrol in Sunday morning. She rushed me home to shower, change, brush my teeth, eat breakfast, devour the papers and pack up my stuff for church. All within half an hour. It would my first day of actual ministry in Church.
Well, doing work as part of Church Security isn't so bad. In fact, it feels exactly like being a division policeman doing work - going on patrols, keeping an eye on certain people, watching out for the belongings of the church goers and looking out for signs of disturbance. Nothing much I'd say. I could easily execute my duties once I came in.
Was attached to Ryan, the other policeman in my cellgroup. Its wonderful to know that he's a very experienced and respected member of the security ministy in church. He once arrested a theif inside church. So that adds to his credentials. Basically, we took care of the area that most of the church staff and leaders would use in their transit directly to the main hall and the stage.
For the first time, I actually saw Pastor really up close. Like he was just a meter away from me. Most of the times, Pastor is just a person that is like 50m away. Quite unapproachable since he has so much security and makes quick entrances and exits.
The Asst Chief in Charge of Security asked me to gel my hair for duty next week so as to look "more professional". Ok, although I've almost never gelled my hair in my entire life. Gotta wear a belt as well so as to hold the issued MagLite as well as Walkie-Talkie set. Perhaps I could get one of those Micheals of Oregon ones or a SafariLand one. Don't know if they accept online orders.
The security team really made me feel VERY welcome. Its like, they went to introduce themselves to me automatically and just taught me the job as I followed them around. They're really nice people. One day here and i feel like I've join a big ministry family that actually WANTS me.
Ok, there's a thing about the warrant card as well. If I can exercise police powers, all the better to adding to overal security in Church. So yes, I think my heart is set on this ministry. I am willing to sacrifice more time and energy on serving God in this area.
I got mistaken for an usher in the main hall.... *sigh*
-goth doll usher
There's this usher in church, whom I have taken notice since I was in sec 3. No, no, not as in that way. I just find her an interesting person/personality.
She looks like this chinese GOTH DOLL, seriously, a little bit like Amy Lee from EVANESCENCE, with a Devon Aoki "outline" and "silohuette" and has her hair dyed pretty gold! Its like, you can't miss her in church one lor. Worst. She normally serves the area I sit in during service and during my ministry work I was deployed to work at that area that I normally sit in.
As I walked up to my duty area. She took notice of me immediately and started to give me that weird look. Her eyes almost speaking "What the hell is that guy doing here?!" Nothing much. She's quite cute/pretty/unique. Can't exactly describe it.
I mean, church is full of pretty girls, but she stands out cos she's quite "unique" in "that sense". She ignored me for most of the time. Her eye movements deliberately "tuned" to "auto-reject" my presence. Oh well.
I did talk to her. She asked me why I had shifted a row of chairs in. And asked me something else which I couldn't really remember. So as long as I do duty in that particular area during service in church - she'll be my eye candy, as Davis likes to put it. There are so many girls who look better than her. But like I said, its not the looks that matters. More of the Uniqueness and Character that a person exudes. More updates on her in future (I hope!)
ministry at work...cont
Then later I can't sit during service anymore. Have to stand for 2 hours, longer if Pastor drags the service. Have to carry my bible with me in future as well as notepaper and pen. I can still take down brief notes, but I have to write whilst standing firm in my area of duty.
Pastor's message was a short yet inspirational one. That reality is a limiter of our faith and that our reality is often determined by the circumstances of our financial status. So he explained to us why the Church of God must be rich - so we can do things like never before and impact the world better for Jesus! =)
After the service, we had a short debriefing followed by a birthday celebration for those in Security. 4 people sharing the same birthday in the span of a WEEK! Wow! Ya, the birthday cake was rather good.
Later joined Merf and the most of the cellgroup at the rooftop garden. Merf was teaching them how to play guitar! Wow! So many people are interested in playing guitar. I wanted to learn once, but gave up at that wretched F chord. How to press? Its not easy to bar lor! I can't even press G properly - how to bar and press F? So I gave up then and there. Besides, my strumming sucks. Drums easier.
another birthday
Raced down for my cousin's birthday celebrations later at Aunt's house in Clementi. It was quite a simple affair ending with a nice ice cream cake from Swensen's. Just spent the time catching up and chatting to relatives. And managed to watch a little bit of MTV Screen.
I think Mandy Moore ought to be an actress. She can do so much better as an actress as opposed to a singing career. Her acting is really quite good! Ya, stereotype her to a girl playing the role as the Pastor's daughter in A Walk to Remember.
That show is so sad... just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Sigh. Why did she have to gg at the end of it all? Sigh. It's even better an impact than Titanic. Because of that show, I am inspired to go learn how to build my own telescope. Perhaps I'll do astronomical society in Uni or something. Coupled with photography - Astrophotography! Cool! =P
Mon
I crashed ACJC today. Will write this as a separate post. Too much to write about my 5 hours there.
blogger's been having alot of problems lately. The editing panels open with unexplained javascript errors and apparently, minimising the window whilst typing an entry will automaticaly make blogger ask you if you want to "save" it or "delete" it. Terrible interface! I'm going to switch to my own host next year on movable type. If I can find a better deal on a Linux Server I'll gladly take it and PAY for it. Not worth investing your computer software and hardware on windows based systems. Windows cannot make it. Long Live Linux and the Penguin! Windows can go suck it. Red Hat, Mandrake, Gentoo Linux have done very well indeed. I hope it will be the downfall of mircosoft sometime in the future.
Too bad, wonder why people desire to pay thousands of dollars for original windows software, office suite of software and anti viruses, live through constant crashes, virus threats, hacking attempts when Linux can be had for 20 dollars on CD or downloaded free off the net. No crashes, no viruses, almost impervious to hacking and as easy to use as windows. C'mon! All change at one time can? Even the free Word Editors, Presentation editors and Spreadsheet software in Linux is comparable to that off, or even exceeds Office XP Pro.
There are forever MILLIONS of security holes in windows, allowing your private data to be sniffed and downloaded off your system. Linux is so secure they use it for credit card transactions. Amazon uses Linux to save costs instead of spending 2000 bucks on a copy of Windows Server 2003. Cheap and VERY good. Now who dares to make the switch and be different?
saturday afternoon till monday morning
The patrol on Saturday was quite simple and routine. I've ended up with the same area for 3 patrols area. I'm getting sick of seeing the place. Besides, I'm always like the 3rd last boat to get back on dry land. Its so boring! No ships, the radar is forever set at "0.5 Nm" range and it is so dull, so boring in the day and night.
Came to base early and had the opportunity to see the commados free fall into the stadium from the jetty. The view on the jetty was certainly better than most of the people seated on the banks of the Kallang Basin - so that's a bonus I'd say. In addition, We could see the bomb burst salute for the the president as well as the roaring F-16s which had turned on their AfterBurners.
Power man! F-16 running AfterBurners! SO LOUD! Oh yeah, I think the pilots wear noise-cancelling headphones designed by BOSE that effectively generate "anti-noise" to cancel out the roar of the engines. If not, I think almost all jet fighter pilots in the Air Force would be totally deaf!
As I was pushing our boat's stuff on the jetty, the fireworks display went off. So everyone stoppef for a minute or two to observe the brillaint sparks lighting up the sky. If anyone can improt fireworks into Singapore and just sell it to the NDP people each year. I think that that person need not work for almost the whole year. Just that one day. 60 Million dollars worth of fireworks in sales can easily make a tidy profit for a few millions. Why not? Anyone wanna go through the terrible bureaucracy in Singapore to import "Dangerous and Explosive Goods"? Can cry I tell you.
Even Sim Wong Hoo realises that it is horrible to be entrepreneurial in Singapore. If not, I'm sure he'd have set up the virtual campus in Singapore and not in Malaysia. The "Civil Service" better wake up soon before our country's very own bureaucracy strangles us with miles of red tape. "Remaking Singapore Committee" Where the HELL have you NUTCASES been? Forever trying to negotiate deals with NTUC right? CUT the RED TAPE! Not ADD MORE!
And they say we are not being entrepreneurial enough. People don't take a step forward unless they know that that first step is safe to take. Especially in money-conscious Singapore.
Very Boring the Patrol. Seriously. I slept at about midnight and overslept. Supposed to wake up at 4 but ended up getting up at 5. In the end, I just chatted with my crew commander for the next three hours and talked about everything under the sun. Basically, I think as long as I can upkeep a good conversation and have a good listening ear, it'll be good enough to pass time by quickly.
The only highlight was when one of the crew, another SC went to fool around with the radio set and started to sing "One United People" to all the other Coast Guard Vessels. He ended up being scolded by the Ops room. Funny.
Our boat's hot water pot and microwave oven were both out. So no choice, Go find another boat on patrol, go alongside and then cross over to get hot water for the Instant Mee. And worst, the entire crew except me smoked! So in the end I was stuck in an atmosphere of smoke smoke and more smoke. Worst, all of them are heavy smokers, like at least 2 stick every half an hour. I hope they drop into the sea the next time they light up their cigarettes.
Smoke Smoke Smoke... Everywhere also smoke! Smoke in the toilet, changing room locker room, classroom, lecture hall, boat, base, outside. Terrible! I ought to get myself some N-95 Mask if I go on patrol man. The second hand smoke is so bad, my uniform REEKS of cigarette smoke after my tour of duty. What's so "cool" about a habit that kills you? Its cool to kill yourself? Then go jump off a block of flats! Faster! Why drag people like me along with you!
And all those people at clubs and bars think that they are oh-so-cool when they light up. I think they have no brains in their skull. Just a collection of tobacco ashes and smoke which needs to be replenished all the time. Hence the "urge" to light up. I hope the government make one small pack of cigarettes cost like 30 bucks or something. That'll really discourage them!
ministry at work
Mom picked me up from the base after patrol in Sunday morning. She rushed me home to shower, change, brush my teeth, eat breakfast, devour the papers and pack up my stuff for church. All within half an hour. It would my first day of actual ministry in Church.
Well, doing work as part of Church Security isn't so bad. In fact, it feels exactly like being a division policeman doing work - going on patrols, keeping an eye on certain people, watching out for the belongings of the church goers and looking out for signs of disturbance. Nothing much I'd say. I could easily execute my duties once I came in.
Was attached to Ryan, the other policeman in my cellgroup. Its wonderful to know that he's a very experienced and respected member of the security ministy in church. He once arrested a theif inside church. So that adds to his credentials. Basically, we took care of the area that most of the church staff and leaders would use in their transit directly to the main hall and the stage.
For the first time, I actually saw Pastor really up close. Like he was just a meter away from me. Most of the times, Pastor is just a person that is like 50m away. Quite unapproachable since he has so much security and makes quick entrances and exits.
The Asst Chief in Charge of Security asked me to gel my hair for duty next week so as to look "more professional". Ok, although I've almost never gelled my hair in my entire life. Gotta wear a belt as well so as to hold the issued MagLite as well as Walkie-Talkie set. Perhaps I could get one of those Micheals of Oregon ones or a SafariLand one. Don't know if they accept online orders.
The security team really made me feel VERY welcome. Its like, they went to introduce themselves to me automatically and just taught me the job as I followed them around. They're really nice people. One day here and i feel like I've join a big ministry family that actually WANTS me.
Ok, there's a thing about the warrant card as well. If I can exercise police powers, all the better to adding to overal security in Church. So yes, I think my heart is set on this ministry. I am willing to sacrifice more time and energy on serving God in this area.
I got mistaken for an usher in the main hall.... *sigh*
-goth doll usher
There's this usher in church, whom I have taken notice since I was in sec 3. No, no, not as in that way. I just find her an interesting person/personality.
She looks like this chinese GOTH DOLL, seriously, a little bit like Amy Lee from EVANESCENCE, with a Devon Aoki "outline" and "silohuette" and has her hair dyed pretty gold! Its like, you can't miss her in church one lor. Worst. She normally serves the area I sit in during service and during my ministry work I was deployed to work at that area that I normally sit in.
As I walked up to my duty area. She took notice of me immediately and started to give me that weird look. Her eyes almost speaking "What the hell is that guy doing here?!" Nothing much. She's quite cute/pretty/unique. Can't exactly describe it.
I mean, church is full of pretty girls, but she stands out cos she's quite "unique" in "that sense". She ignored me for most of the time. Her eye movements deliberately "tuned" to "auto-reject" my presence. Oh well.
I did talk to her. She asked me why I had shifted a row of chairs in. And asked me something else which I couldn't really remember. So as long as I do duty in that particular area during service in church - she'll be my eye candy, as Davis likes to put it. There are so many girls who look better than her. But like I said, its not the looks that matters. More of the Uniqueness and Character that a person exudes. More updates on her in future (I hope!)
ministry at work...cont
Then later I can't sit during service anymore. Have to stand for 2 hours, longer if Pastor drags the service. Have to carry my bible with me in future as well as notepaper and pen. I can still take down brief notes, but I have to write whilst standing firm in my area of duty.
Pastor's message was a short yet inspirational one. That reality is a limiter of our faith and that our reality is often determined by the circumstances of our financial status. So he explained to us why the Church of God must be rich - so we can do things like never before and impact the world better for Jesus! =)
After the service, we had a short debriefing followed by a birthday celebration for those in Security. 4 people sharing the same birthday in the span of a WEEK! Wow! Ya, the birthday cake was rather good.
Later joined Merf and the most of the cellgroup at the rooftop garden. Merf was teaching them how to play guitar! Wow! So many people are interested in playing guitar. I wanted to learn once, but gave up at that wretched F chord. How to press? Its not easy to bar lor! I can't even press G properly - how to bar and press F? So I gave up then and there. Besides, my strumming sucks. Drums easier.
another birthday
Raced down for my cousin's birthday celebrations later at Aunt's house in Clementi. It was quite a simple affair ending with a nice ice cream cake from Swensen's. Just spent the time catching up and chatting to relatives. And managed to watch a little bit of MTV Screen.
I think Mandy Moore ought to be an actress. She can do so much better as an actress as opposed to a singing career. Her acting is really quite good! Ya, stereotype her to a girl playing the role as the Pastor's daughter in A Walk to Remember.
That show is so sad... just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Sigh. Why did she have to gg at the end of it all? Sigh. It's even better an impact than Titanic. Because of that show, I am inspired to go learn how to build my own telescope. Perhaps I'll do astronomical society in Uni or something. Coupled with photography - Astrophotography! Cool! =P
Mon
I crashed ACJC today. Will write this as a separate post. Too much to write about my 5 hours there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home