I found this comment in my tag board. Gave a crappy answer (as usual), here is the "part which matters" and I'll try to write on it as honestly as possible:
he said that you were most probably a nerd, from gep (60%) and funnier in your blog than in real life but I said 12 yrs in ac should make you cool rite? so help us out and tell us: Where did you use to hang out after school in AC? that is quite a good gauge of coolness. thanks!(I'm one yr your senior, i think)
Ok, one thing's for sure. I'm in 2SA5. That's like the worst class in the F Maths combi full of people who got 11 and 12 points for their O's. Except for T Square, L Squared and a few others, most of us did like shit. James got 15 points and Pei Pei had 13. So I can safely say that I'm in a class "equivalent" to 2SC7? or perhaps even just 2SG3, since almost all of us dropped F Maths after the first year.
I certainly didn't study much. Most of the time pretended to be studying in the library so my bunch of friends and I can go look at pretty girls studying in th library. Or if lucky, can sit with pretty Lynnie and "study" with her. Preparations for the Prelims and A's were spent at the Mezzanine floor. We spent more effort trying to look presentable and to look out for girls than to look out for our results. So much distraction in school, how to study? Oh yes, "We" doesn't include T Squared and L Squared. I usually end up studying with a varying range of guys in ACJC since I know many of the guys from my primary and secondary school days. Even for those primary school people who went independent, I mantained the contact between them and me. So I have studied with basically guys from all combis and from most of the classes. From Arts to Science. Been there, done that, taken the photograph and bought the T Shirt.
I was never in GEP. My chinese is so bad I heard that the teacher who marked my screening test paper in Primary 3 stopped at the second page or something. I'm a true ACSian in this area. Fail chinese until have to do CL B
I think in terms of Cool, there are 2 definitions in ACJC:
1) You are filthy rich ACSian who previously had 10 years of education at the ACS group of schools, had lots of cash to flitter away on girls, had great looks and was tall, dark, muscular and great at sports.
2)Popular. Popularity usually belongs with the "Core Gang". For my year I think the gang consisted of these main people from a few different cliches: Winston Chin, Mok Kwang How, Low Zhennan, Thomas the Pro, the "mama gang", Kelvin Ong, Onn Ray, Dalvir, Kaveh Namazie, Nabil Mustafiz, just to name a few and some guys from Student's Council and the popular CCA's like Swimming, Rugby, Badminton, Soccer and those CCAs that ACS is traditionally strong in. Others would be very smart people who are approachable: Ng Boon Leong, Teo Zi-Ming, Nguyen Tien Anh, Trin Thanh Tham, Wesley Lim... etc. For guys. More or less they are the same people from ACS Secondary schools. So yes, both Barker and Independed both recognise the "popular" people coming from either school. Which is why Kelvin Ong and Justin Wong can call themselves in the same league.
2.a)For girls. She had to be some supremely popular MGS girl, Wivinia Low, Sarah Mah, Wong Yi Ning, Serene Tan and Lynn Chou are good examples. Or damn pretty from some "acceptable school" (SNGS, SCGS, RGS, CHIJ) like Meishuang, Eliza, Julie Wee, Annabelle, Estee. Or Amongst the Top 9 prettiest girls in school (So did would probably include Clarinda as well). Or She was particularly brilliant and had a nice personality (Eda Lum, Kathleen Wong, Tham). Or Class Babe (Ho Shu-Jin 2SC2, Christina Tan 2SG1). Or CCA Captain for certain girls-only CCAs or girl's captain of a sports CCA (Mary-Ann for NetBall). Or great at a particular sport (Christel Bouvron for Swimming)Or the last category: Pretty and Popular MGS girl. For this type, her reputation will be automatically established in the ACS Secondary schools and will be "updated" when she goes to JC. Examples are Grace from 2SG4, Yi Ning from 2SC9, Sheryl from 2SG4, Clarinda from 2SB1) The "hidden" category would be some ACS guy who has a pretty non-MGS sister. When she's "promoted" in school, Her brother will automatically become "popular" as well.
Don't forget that most of the girls had two or three "titles" to attached to their codenames.
In a sense, the word "cool" as used in context in ACJC would be synonymous with the word "popular". Basically, the people in ACJC who are cool usually fall within the space of no.1 and no.2 above. In the end, it is more or less a rotation of the same girls who carry multiple "titles".
I hope I have revealed a little more into how this fickle game of "popularity" runs in ACJC.
if I make spelling errors pls forgive me, cos I don't actually edit my work. I just POST and PUBLISH
So yes the answer is that I am NOT COOL. I don't fall into the popular group of people. It doesn't bother me one bit. only about 10% the school is considered COOL and the rest are either NORMAL or CASTAWAYS. Its about 85% Normal People in ACJC and about 5% castaways. I happen to fall into the category of "Normal ACJC People".
Have a cliche of friends, hang out, go out, play, try to hit on girls, do stupid things, pull of stunts in school, zao school, skip classes, cut lectures, make noise in lectures, throw paper planes in LT, sitting in the Old canteen sharing stupid AC stories and gossip, talking about girls Zao-Geng (it seems to be very popular especially in the Old canteen with all groups of guys), meeting up with old pals in primary school, constantly catching up with all the number of people I've grown to know in my life in PS and Barker. I think that's what most AC guys will do in school.
Of course, there are times we will try to ask a guy from arts to teach us on the rantings of the BARD (even though we're in F Maths or Trip science combi) and try to hit on pretty arts girls like Eliza and Meishuang with it. Basically experiencing and living student life to the fullest as a fully fledge true blue ACSian.
Ok for the typical hangouts: HMV, Taka, Heeren, PK Computer, Holland Village, Burger King (THAt BK), Lido, Borders, Scotts, Pacific Plaza, Far East Square and Plaza, Wisma, Plaza Singapura, Swee Lee, Centrepoint, PARAGON (with filthy rich ACS Guys), handphone shops in orchard, Esplanade, City Hall, City Link, Millenia Walk, Marina Square, Suntec City. As much as I could remember going in My AC Uniform.
For the more special hangouts, that is, usually out of AC uniform: Filthy Rich ACSian's houses, Class parties, Combi Parties, other Class parties, Birthday Parties for the numerous AC guys, gatecrashing the birthday parties of pretty girls (with lots of other like-minded AC guys).
One thing's for sure. I don't frequent the night spots where they usually have JC parties at Zouk and Millieu. The crowd there is usually that of the Popular ACS people and most of the time, your presence will most likely definitely not be welcomed. No point forking out 55 bucks on the entry at Zouk for ACJC when the only people there are the popular guys with their RJC girlfriends and Popular girls with their boyfriends from AC.
Either way. All these Massive JC parties are just one big social gathering for the popular crowd in School. Most the "normal" peopl who go there usually come back bitter about wasting so much money only to stand around with their "unrecognised" cliche of friends. Perhaps this is the part where most people don't like about ACJC, being "rejected" by the popular crew. But somethings are just like that. Most you can do is to make good friends with a popular guy/girl here and there, but don't expect the rest of his gang of friends to accept you at all.
They are massive because most of them have their buddies from ACSI and Barker and MGS. Its a gigantic networking thing if you haven't realised it yet. So basically the JC1 swimmers in ACJC will most likely bring in their Sec 4 swimming buddies in ACSI/Barker to mix around with other popular MGS girls. In turn when they popular group of JC1s go to JC2, these "upcoming" bunch of people will alread have the "popular group's" "seal of approval".
Trust me, someone actually bothers to go through with the pain to see who can go into that popular group and who cannot. I can't say exactly who, but it is a group of ACS guys who basically "have the right to do so". I can't elaborate more as this is a secret that won't be revealed for a long time.
It feels like I'm talking so much bullshit here, but go check out my story. More or less everything should be true and correct.
One part isn't nonsense here though.
I lived a double life in ACJC. During School time, CCA time, remedials, Recess, Lunch. I'm youre typical ACS boy. After school on fridays, I was some helper with the Christian Fellowship.
98% of the people I know in School do not know that I am in CF. My CF friends and my "Standard Group" of friends live lives that are diametrically opposite. People from both groups somehow never managed to mix with each other, so I had no fear of either side confronting me. One side for "being worldly" and the other side for "being too holy".
Besides, it is very unpopular to make a stand for Christ in ACJC. Only 30% the people in school are Christians. Even RJC beats us in this area with 44% of Christians. Truly, trying to make a stand for God is like putting yourself on a guillotine of "normal people" - you'll more or less end up as a cast away. Even my friend Matt, who was voted into student's council later lost most of his friends, his class friends and friends in Students council and from the very people who voted him in - all because he decided to make a stand for God and to reach out to the unsaved.
Sad to say sometimes, I feel like God really convicts me in this area - that I am ashamed of my King. I try to push and fit my King into a box that I can neatly stuff somewhere where most people in ACJC won't see and I can act like a normal guy and "be normal".
Even out of the 30% group of Christians, I can safely say that at the very most, CF has about 40 Core people that are on fire for God, and I know of the various fellowships in School - just Christians, REALLY living their lives for Jesus is probably a meagre 3% of the school. I can say that I'm not in that 3%.
I try to mantain my normal friends while trying to make a stand for God. One has to go. In the end I chose to go it with the crowd and be with my friends. Today, I still have these friends, but seriously, the friendship isn't exactly great or fantastic.
In this area, I am Totally Uncool. Totally. Which is why I try to hide it away so I can "fit in".
It is very sad but true. Now that I'm out ACJC, I wish I had made a better stand for God. Its just 2 years of being laughed at and being rejected for being sold out to God where to many AC people " doesn't exist".
I know God isn't angry with me. He just wants me to know. That if I am so unwilling to even make a stand for Him at the expense of being laughed at and mocked and ridiculed, how can I go and say "God, I am willing to lay my life down for You"? If I cannot give even a little, how can I give much?
So cool or uncool. You decide. I don't care anymore. Its more important to be in the Will of God, than to be in the will of men. For the will of the world will always contradict the plans of my King of Majesty.
he said that you were most probably a nerd, from gep (60%) and funnier in your blog than in real life but I said 12 yrs in ac should make you cool rite? so help us out and tell us: Where did you use to hang out after school in AC? that is quite a good gauge of coolness. thanks!(I'm one yr your senior, i think)
Ok, one thing's for sure. I'm in 2SA5. That's like the worst class in the F Maths combi full of people who got 11 and 12 points for their O's. Except for T Square, L Squared and a few others, most of us did like shit. James got 15 points and Pei Pei had 13. So I can safely say that I'm in a class "equivalent" to 2SC7? or perhaps even just 2SG3, since almost all of us dropped F Maths after the first year.
I certainly didn't study much. Most of the time pretended to be studying in the library so my bunch of friends and I can go look at pretty girls studying in th library. Or if lucky, can sit with pretty Lynnie and "study" with her. Preparations for the Prelims and A's were spent at the Mezzanine floor. We spent more effort trying to look presentable and to look out for girls than to look out for our results. So much distraction in school, how to study? Oh yes, "We" doesn't include T Squared and L Squared. I usually end up studying with a varying range of guys in ACJC since I know many of the guys from my primary and secondary school days. Even for those primary school people who went independent, I mantained the contact between them and me. So I have studied with basically guys from all combis and from most of the classes. From Arts to Science. Been there, done that, taken the photograph and bought the T Shirt.
I was never in GEP. My chinese is so bad I heard that the teacher who marked my screening test paper in Primary 3 stopped at the second page or something. I'm a true ACSian in this area. Fail chinese until have to do CL B
I think in terms of Cool, there are 2 definitions in ACJC:
1) You are filthy rich ACSian who previously had 10 years of education at the ACS group of schools, had lots of cash to flitter away on girls, had great looks and was tall, dark, muscular and great at sports.
2)Popular. Popularity usually belongs with the "Core Gang". For my year I think the gang consisted of these main people from a few different cliches: Winston Chin, Mok Kwang How, Low Zhennan, Thomas the Pro, the "mama gang", Kelvin Ong, Onn Ray, Dalvir, Kaveh Namazie, Nabil Mustafiz, just to name a few and some guys from Student's Council and the popular CCA's like Swimming, Rugby, Badminton, Soccer and those CCAs that ACS is traditionally strong in. Others would be very smart people who are approachable: Ng Boon Leong, Teo Zi-Ming, Nguyen Tien Anh, Trin Thanh Tham, Wesley Lim... etc. For guys. More or less they are the same people from ACS Secondary schools. So yes, both Barker and Independed both recognise the "popular" people coming from either school. Which is why Kelvin Ong and Justin Wong can call themselves in the same league.
2.a)For girls. She had to be some supremely popular MGS girl, Wivinia Low, Sarah Mah, Wong Yi Ning, Serene Tan and Lynn Chou are good examples. Or damn pretty from some "acceptable school" (SNGS, SCGS, RGS, CHIJ) like Meishuang, Eliza, Julie Wee, Annabelle, Estee. Or Amongst the Top 9 prettiest girls in school (So did would probably include Clarinda as well). Or She was particularly brilliant and had a nice personality (Eda Lum, Kathleen Wong, Tham). Or Class Babe (Ho Shu-Jin 2SC2, Christina Tan 2SG1). Or CCA Captain for certain girls-only CCAs or girl's captain of a sports CCA (Mary-Ann for NetBall). Or great at a particular sport (Christel Bouvron for Swimming)Or the last category: Pretty and Popular MGS girl. For this type, her reputation will be automatically established in the ACS Secondary schools and will be "updated" when she goes to JC. Examples are Grace from 2SG4, Yi Ning from 2SC9, Sheryl from 2SG4, Clarinda from 2SB1) The "hidden" category would be some ACS guy who has a pretty non-MGS sister. When she's "promoted" in school, Her brother will automatically become "popular" as well.
Don't forget that most of the girls had two or three "titles" to attached to their codenames.
In a sense, the word "cool" as used in context in ACJC would be synonymous with the word "popular". Basically, the people in ACJC who are cool usually fall within the space of no.1 and no.2 above. In the end, it is more or less a rotation of the same girls who carry multiple "titles".
I hope I have revealed a little more into how this fickle game of "popularity" runs in ACJC.
if I make spelling errors pls forgive me, cos I don't actually edit my work. I just POST and PUBLISH
So yes the answer is that I am NOT COOL. I don't fall into the popular group of people. It doesn't bother me one bit. only about 10% the school is considered COOL and the rest are either NORMAL or CASTAWAYS. Its about 85% Normal People in ACJC and about 5% castaways. I happen to fall into the category of "Normal ACJC People".
Have a cliche of friends, hang out, go out, play, try to hit on girls, do stupid things, pull of stunts in school, zao school, skip classes, cut lectures, make noise in lectures, throw paper planes in LT, sitting in the Old canteen sharing stupid AC stories and gossip, talking about girls Zao-Geng (it seems to be very popular especially in the Old canteen with all groups of guys), meeting up with old pals in primary school, constantly catching up with all the number of people I've grown to know in my life in PS and Barker. I think that's what most AC guys will do in school.
Of course, there are times we will try to ask a guy from arts to teach us on the rantings of the BARD (even though we're in F Maths or Trip science combi) and try to hit on pretty arts girls like Eliza and Meishuang with it. Basically experiencing and living student life to the fullest as a fully fledge true blue ACSian.
Ok for the typical hangouts: HMV, Taka, Heeren, PK Computer, Holland Village, Burger King (THAt BK), Lido, Borders, Scotts, Pacific Plaza, Far East Square and Plaza, Wisma, Plaza Singapura, Swee Lee, Centrepoint, PARAGON (with filthy rich ACS Guys), handphone shops in orchard, Esplanade, City Hall, City Link, Millenia Walk, Marina Square, Suntec City. As much as I could remember going in My AC Uniform.
For the more special hangouts, that is, usually out of AC uniform: Filthy Rich ACSian's houses, Class parties, Combi Parties, other Class parties, Birthday Parties for the numerous AC guys, gatecrashing the birthday parties of pretty girls (with lots of other like-minded AC guys).
One thing's for sure. I don't frequent the night spots where they usually have JC parties at Zouk and Millieu. The crowd there is usually that of the Popular ACS people and most of the time, your presence will most likely definitely not be welcomed. No point forking out 55 bucks on the entry at Zouk for ACJC when the only people there are the popular guys with their RJC girlfriends and Popular girls with their boyfriends from AC.
Either way. All these Massive JC parties are just one big social gathering for the popular crowd in School. Most the "normal" peopl who go there usually come back bitter about wasting so much money only to stand around with their "unrecognised" cliche of friends. Perhaps this is the part where most people don't like about ACJC, being "rejected" by the popular crew. But somethings are just like that. Most you can do is to make good friends with a popular guy/girl here and there, but don't expect the rest of his gang of friends to accept you at all.
They are massive because most of them have their buddies from ACSI and Barker and MGS. Its a gigantic networking thing if you haven't realised it yet. So basically the JC1 swimmers in ACJC will most likely bring in their Sec 4 swimming buddies in ACSI/Barker to mix around with other popular MGS girls. In turn when they popular group of JC1s go to JC2, these "upcoming" bunch of people will alread have the "popular group's" "seal of approval".
Trust me, someone actually bothers to go through with the pain to see who can go into that popular group and who cannot. I can't say exactly who, but it is a group of ACS guys who basically "have the right to do so". I can't elaborate more as this is a secret that won't be revealed for a long time.
It feels like I'm talking so much bullshit here, but go check out my story. More or less everything should be true and correct.
One part isn't nonsense here though.
I lived a double life in ACJC. During School time, CCA time, remedials, Recess, Lunch. I'm youre typical ACS boy. After school on fridays, I was some helper with the Christian Fellowship.
98% of the people I know in School do not know that I am in CF. My CF friends and my "Standard Group" of friends live lives that are diametrically opposite. People from both groups somehow never managed to mix with each other, so I had no fear of either side confronting me. One side for "being worldly" and the other side for "being too holy".
Besides, it is very unpopular to make a stand for Christ in ACJC. Only 30% the people in school are Christians. Even RJC beats us in this area with 44% of Christians. Truly, trying to make a stand for God is like putting yourself on a guillotine of "normal people" - you'll more or less end up as a cast away. Even my friend Matt, who was voted into student's council later lost most of his friends, his class friends and friends in Students council and from the very people who voted him in - all because he decided to make a stand for God and to reach out to the unsaved.
Sad to say sometimes, I feel like God really convicts me in this area - that I am ashamed of my King. I try to push and fit my King into a box that I can neatly stuff somewhere where most people in ACJC won't see and I can act like a normal guy and "be normal".
Even out of the 30% group of Christians, I can safely say that at the very most, CF has about 40 Core people that are on fire for God, and I know of the various fellowships in School - just Christians, REALLY living their lives for Jesus is probably a meagre 3% of the school. I can say that I'm not in that 3%.
I try to mantain my normal friends while trying to make a stand for God. One has to go. In the end I chose to go it with the crowd and be with my friends. Today, I still have these friends, but seriously, the friendship isn't exactly great or fantastic.
In this area, I am Totally Uncool. Totally. Which is why I try to hide it away so I can "fit in".
It is very sad but true. Now that I'm out ACJC, I wish I had made a better stand for God. Its just 2 years of being laughed at and being rejected for being sold out to God where to many AC people " doesn't exist".
I know God isn't angry with me. He just wants me to know. That if I am so unwilling to even make a stand for Him at the expense of being laughed at and mocked and ridiculed, how can I go and say "God, I am willing to lay my life down for You"? If I cannot give even a little, how can I give much?
So cool or uncool. You decide. I don't care anymore. Its more important to be in the Will of God, than to be in the will of men. For the will of the world will always contradict the plans of my King of Majesty.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home