Monday, May 12

After yesterday's posts of pictures I know have a brilliant solution to the lack of space: Just type out my blog on a transparent gif, then paste it into the blog! That way I can type as much as I really want and still never need to pay that 3 bucks. Its not the amount that matters, its more of the creativity involved in solving this "problem" that makes me want to do it. I'll try it once I run of space.

I downloaded Winamp3, I can't figure out how to put a skin on it and I miss the "J" button, a feature I often usein Winamp 2.x. I can't believe that their replacement of the jump song functionality has now been replaced by an ugly margin that cannot be resized to my liking. I tried to skin my winamp, but it the stupid computer kept asking me what program should I use to open the *.wal files. Since I've never seen a *.wal file before, I consulted their "help". USELESS WINAMP! ABSOLUTELY USELESS! Even the internal volume function has changed so greatly. On 2.x, 10% internal volume would produce a signal that was strong and clear to the speakers and now even a 90% signal can't do that! STUPID FOOLS just killed off their media player.

I wore the wrong pair of shoes out of the house to the KRB (Kallang Regional Base) today! I wore my church black shoes instead of the standard issued INDUSTRIAL safety shoes. My the difference in grip was astounding. I keep slipping here and there, especially on wet surfaces. Luckily I had no footdrill or seaborne practical lesson today and no demanding full uniform activities. If not, I would have just like destroyed my one and only pair of church shoes!

Fire Safety course at the Singapore Civil Defence Force Academy

We were shouted at once we got off the bus to fall in quickly once we got off the shuttle bus to the SCDF Academy in Jalan Behar. The place looks really new and spacious, almost like a top notch secondary school (like R.I). Too bad, the whole damn thing's built on a graveyard. The government really really really REALLY has no better place to build a training area except over a graveyard? Can't understand their policy of building army camps, police academy, civil defence, navy, air force installations over GRAVEYARDS. Our land shortage is not so bad to the extent experienced by Tokyo. Sighs, what's with them and disturbing the dead? Can't those NUTs at the top at least just let the dead rest in peace?

So we were sent to class for 3 straight boring lessons on fire theory, topics such as fires, how they start, sustained combustion, sprinkler systerms and the like were covered. Lunch was almost 1/2 an hour late, the guy who delivered it couldn't find the place (its just a really suay place). Luckily the canteen there is of way better standard and quality as opposed to the ones at Brani and Police Academy. The food sold is really quite very good!

After lunch, we were given a heavy fireman's helmet and told to wear it ANYWHERE in the Academy (stupid policy again) The helmet is really heavy and stressful on the neck muscles, not to mention hot. Today was a BURNING hot day, no clouds, nothing, just very strong direct sunlight that can easily cause a sunburn. I was given the opportunity to play with fire extinguishers, the Carbon Dioxide and Water ones over an oil fire. One of the regulars, Adrian was the first to go and when he sprayed the carbon dioxide vapour into the fire, the whole thing just flashed over with very hot heat, heat that could be felt strongly several meters away. His skin on his arms were burned quite badly, around 2nd degree burns at least. Funny how a material meant to extinguish a fire can cause it to combust even more fiercely. Oddity indeed

Next, we had a go with the fire hoses. I was given a small 38mm hose to shoot at the pressure of 3 bars or 20 kg. I don't think it was 3 bars, it certainly did not feel like it. When i activated the hose. I was pushed backwards by a very strong force. I couldn't even resist the force and started taking steps backwards. The guys next to me had a 64 mm hose. They almost died witht he great force the hose exerted on them. "Died" that is.

Before we left, I attended a Breathing Apparatus demonstration. It was how to use the self contained breathing apparatus (i.e oxygen tank) properly as I would be using it tomorrow during the Maze. No wonder it is physically very demanding.

Imagine wearing a fireman's suit, It is like wearing a winter overcoat for the arctic in the tropics, and coupled with a 12.6 kg oxygen tank, a blur face mask, gloves and the like. I have to navigate through a totally dark, smoky maze that is 4 stories high. I was told that even Naval Divers have vomitted and one former PCG officer was hospitalised after going through the maze and unsuccessfully finishing it.

I can't imagine how hot it will be wearing a fireman's suit for at least one whole hour, coupled with a heavy breathing gear and I have to do a three dimensional obstacle course within a prescribed time. God help me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home