One More Sail - Last Patrol Shift (ORD Post Part II)
One More Sail - Last Patrol Shift (ORD Post Part II)
All pictures taken yesterday, 50mm lens for all shots

With the remaining hours left of my National Service (or Slavery) that remains before I resume a couple hours of station (or land-based) duties and then I become a half free man for good. I set sail for the very last time yesterday. A day shift. And an exciting one it is. Although the atmosphere is tinged with a little bit of joy that "the time has finally come" and yet tampered with the sadness of "leaving all of you guys behind" as with the looking forwards into the future despite uncertain circumstances. The sea once again worked its magical charm in taking my mind off things.
While it may be a dangerous place to work in, and life is rather unpredictable to say the least about duties onboard a boat out at sea. I guess that it has never failed to work its soothing charm upon me. They say that the color blue soothes ones nerves. Maybe that's why I almost never feel stressed out or strained to push myself for more whilst on duty. And believe me, Singapore may have a very tiny amount of sea territorial water - but it looks breathtakingly different when seen from the land and when seen from the waters themselves. Strange as it may seem, when I look at East Coast Beach far out at sea - I often wonder about all the people enjoying themselves there and then. When I'm at East Coast Beach taking picture - I wonder how the rest of the guys on shiftwork are doing as well. Our coastline looks small from the vantage point of the sea. But our waters look vast when seen from the land.

PT 4, Sea off Marina East
The weather was extremely good yesterday. Perhaps never has been as good this year save the heatwave in January - where it was strong sunshine all the way through. The tides and currents were smooth - nothing too strong or unpredictable and calmness reigned in the place that I've called "my workplace" for almost the past two years. And indeed, two years have passed by in the blink of an eye. Shiftwork makes time pass by very fast - one grows old very fast in terms of age when I think about it. The "days" are longer - the "nights" longer and the off days just feel so short at times. Nevetheless, I have not regretted, being in a great patrol team - best in the Police Coast Guard.
Even as I type this now, I realise that too many people read my blog. Its strange when people in base tell me that "Oh! My wife just read your blog!". Its so freaky! And well, I don't know what else to make of it except perhaps be more "politically correct" at times, no? Its unintentionaly, yet maybe its just part of my humanist nature to withdraw too much divergencies into convergencies of another kind. Sigh. But alas, well... I know that I won't have the chance and opportunity to take so many pictures as such once again. In terms of photography - yesterday wasn't good actually. I just yieled a couple of picture that were "above average". In terms of "framing" - there's a long way to go. Oh well...

PT 4, Sea off East Coast Beach
It was good to have one last opportunity to take into the sights that I've appreciated for the past two years. For some strange reason or other, I don't get sick of seeing the same things day in, day out. I don't know why, but this logic doesn't apply when I'm on land - I'm sick of seeing our CBD from the roads, yet never bored when attempting to frame that one more picture with it in the background when out at sea. Strange indeed.
Other still-serving slaves contend happily that "my freedom has finally come". Other regulars never fail to keep asking me "what will you do after NS". So far, I haven't been able to answer that question properly to anyone except to give a vague reply. I actually don't know "what to do". Then again, I do know that I have to pick myself up, restart the rusting engine that powers my brain for academic work and well - finally grow up and "be a man". I don't think NS in its essence has made me change from a "boy into a Man". Maybe my perspectives are better - maybe my horizons are little wider and more expansive. Then again, there are many things that I wished happened to me that did not happen. Growing up entails taking responsibility. Then again, with the civil service mindset in which it is to "siam responsibility" and "its not my fault, its your fault" kind of blame pushing - taking responsibility in the civil service is a hazardous risk to one's health - emotionally, physically and financially. So that's definitely one area to work upon. The other would be patience. Although the lessons learnt in patience will be better elaborated when I become a guest blogger on SingaporeArmyStories dot blogspot dot com. It'll be nice to put the police side into perspective at the same time. Interesting.

Canoeists - Sea off Upper East Coast Beach
While the next few posts on my blog will definitely be related to NS, as I put in some foreclosures as well as my personal musings and thoughts on the past two years. I'll elaborate a little bit about my two years so far. About our management, the various departments in the rotten base, espcially extending to the utterly useless police national service department and as well as interactions and doing various sorts of duties and the like. So I'll definitely have to push those few blog posts meant for the Fun-O-Rama of my time to a backseat for a moment - but I'll get there eventually.
Being my last day on duty, basically, the mood, was a little bit more on the celebratory side. So basically I didn't have to do anything onboard. Just *enjoy*. Hahahaha. This is like a priviledge that I'm blessed with that no one expects me to do anything. And even if I tried to do something, those onboard wouldn't let me. Oh well, its been good. Indeed, people I work with onboard are a fantastic bunch. Time flies very quickly with good, nice people onboard and I am thankful to have been spared all the nonsense that happens with regards to people-relations to those of my friends still suffering in Twenty First Century Army for the New Milliennium.

Cruise Ships Off Saint John's Island
Well, I had the chance to talk to those canoeists too. Bunch of secondary school kids attempting to row halfway round our island. They looked tired, dehydrated and sunburnt - yet very happy at the same time. The lighting was highly favourable at some parts of the day - like in the above picture. Off Saint John's Island, with all the cruise ships from Indonesia coming through at high speed.
I know I will definitely miss these sights when I ORD. Chances are, it is not everyday that I have the opportunity to meet people ON the sea, literally. Especially total strangers. And its been good. Overall I guess my only regret is that I can safely say that I have not attended to any major case, nor have I made any arrest. I have only put the handcuffs onto an accused person for a grand total of just ONE time. And that was because the accused was being brought to another place. I've only managed to make ONE conversation with an accused person while doing security escort in a police van. So funny. The best thing was that this "hardened criminal" who later got quite a severe sentence started the conversation with the words:
"How did you celebrate your mother's day".

Helmsroom - Eastern Special Purposes Anchorage
They say that the people you meet in the police force changes your views on life and perspectives on people. I agree, even though I have not met so many people... yet. I'm just glad that I did not become a police clerk to slave away in an atmosphere of politics and backstabbing and instead had the chance to do ground duties and work. Its notable that very few to no A-level certificate holders actually do ground work - most of them are automatically pushed up to become clerks. I didn't. No point also if I told people that for my two and a half years NS in the police force... I was just "a clerk" stuffed in a crummy cubicle doing paperwork. That's not a policeman. That's an "office boy". And I definitely would not have the chance to take so many pictures.
Even as I leave for good. I know that my duty sectors will change dramatically. Clifford Pier as I know it today, will no longer exist once it is shifted to its new location off Marina South. The rotten base will be shifted to Pulau Brani. Pulau Semakau, which is a land dump today - will become a nature trail haven for naturists and photographers alike. The Kallang Basin and Marina Bay as I know it will be dammed up to become a freshwater enclave for water sport activities. And I know that I won't have the pleasure to be on a small police boat that slowly makes its way up the Singapore River - from the Esplanade Flyover all the way to Jiak Kim Bridge and back again. Certainly indeed, such will be missed in the changing tides of time.

Sunset at Sentosa
Even as the sun set yesterday. I have to admit that it waas probably the 2nd most beautiful sunset that I have seen in my NS. I say 2nd most beautiful, because on the 2nd of August last year, I saw the most beautiful sunset in my whole life in this country. BUT I did not bring my camera with me. I was so filled with regrets indeed. Perhaps I might be able to describe it as a gigantic, warm glowing golden cloud that stretched literally, as far as the eye could see - from East of Singapore, all the way to the West. This cloud soaked up the warm glowing rays of the setting sun and believe me, I could feel the intense heat from the sunset. It was so warm I would liken it to be staring at a oven when an oven is opened. Utterly beautiful.
Yet yesterday sunset was the 2nd best. The clouds, sky and sun were more or less in the right position. So that's a nice way to conclude the last day shift that I will ever be on. The very last time I will ever board a police boat in my life and the very last time I will do patrol duty. Perhaps if I am a wealthy person in future, I will most certainly buy myself a medium sized cruise ship. And then I will take it out on the weekdays and sail it at 25 knots around Singapore. It'll be nice. Then again, that's just a personal dream. A boat to me, is more valuable in the experiences and the pleasure gained in steering it, than in driving a Bentley or Rolls-Royce (everyone would think that I am the driver anyway...)
Well I guess I have said enough. Now I will just let the last 3 pictures speak to you. They are among the best pictures I have taken yesterday. So in time to come, I end my National Service unoffocially tomorrow when the next duty team takes over my team from duty. I will be free officially another week or so down the road - due to some allowances to clear my leave. Half free would be a better term - since there is reservist to contend with. Then again, if I can buy my own cruise ship. I know that the reservist letter won't be coming into my letterbox for a long long time to come...

Sunset Off Sentosa

Sunset - Western Petroleum Anchorage
You should be able to make out the chimney stacks of the oil refineries on Pulau Bukom in the background.

Sunset - Western Special Purposes Anchorage
All pictures taken yesterday, 50mm lens for all shots

With the remaining hours left of my National Service (or Slavery) that remains before I resume a couple hours of station (or land-based) duties and then I become a half free man for good. I set sail for the very last time yesterday. A day shift. And an exciting one it is. Although the atmosphere is tinged with a little bit of joy that "the time has finally come" and yet tampered with the sadness of "leaving all of you guys behind" as with the looking forwards into the future despite uncertain circumstances. The sea once again worked its magical charm in taking my mind off things.
While it may be a dangerous place to work in, and life is rather unpredictable to say the least about duties onboard a boat out at sea. I guess that it has never failed to work its soothing charm upon me. They say that the color blue soothes ones nerves. Maybe that's why I almost never feel stressed out or strained to push myself for more whilst on duty. And believe me, Singapore may have a very tiny amount of sea territorial water - but it looks breathtakingly different when seen from the land and when seen from the waters themselves. Strange as it may seem, when I look at East Coast Beach far out at sea - I often wonder about all the people enjoying themselves there and then. When I'm at East Coast Beach taking picture - I wonder how the rest of the guys on shiftwork are doing as well. Our coastline looks small from the vantage point of the sea. But our waters look vast when seen from the land.

PT 4, Sea off Marina East
The weather was extremely good yesterday. Perhaps never has been as good this year save the heatwave in January - where it was strong sunshine all the way through. The tides and currents were smooth - nothing too strong or unpredictable and calmness reigned in the place that I've called "my workplace" for almost the past two years. And indeed, two years have passed by in the blink of an eye. Shiftwork makes time pass by very fast - one grows old very fast in terms of age when I think about it. The "days" are longer - the "nights" longer and the off days just feel so short at times. Nevetheless, I have not regretted, being in a great patrol team - best in the Police Coast Guard.
Even as I type this now, I realise that too many people read my blog. Its strange when people in base tell me that "Oh! My wife just read your blog!". Its so freaky! And well, I don't know what else to make of it except perhaps be more "politically correct" at times, no? Its unintentionaly, yet maybe its just part of my humanist nature to withdraw too much divergencies into convergencies of another kind. Sigh. But alas, well... I know that I won't have the chance and opportunity to take so many pictures as such once again. In terms of photography - yesterday wasn't good actually. I just yieled a couple of picture that were "above average". In terms of "framing" - there's a long way to go. Oh well...

PT 4, Sea off East Coast Beach
It was good to have one last opportunity to take into the sights that I've appreciated for the past two years. For some strange reason or other, I don't get sick of seeing the same things day in, day out. I don't know why, but this logic doesn't apply when I'm on land - I'm sick of seeing our CBD from the roads, yet never bored when attempting to frame that one more picture with it in the background when out at sea. Strange indeed.
Other still-serving slaves contend happily that "my freedom has finally come". Other regulars never fail to keep asking me "what will you do after NS". So far, I haven't been able to answer that question properly to anyone except to give a vague reply. I actually don't know "what to do". Then again, I do know that I have to pick myself up, restart the rusting engine that powers my brain for academic work and well - finally grow up and "be a man". I don't think NS in its essence has made me change from a "boy into a Man". Maybe my perspectives are better - maybe my horizons are little wider and more expansive. Then again, there are many things that I wished happened to me that did not happen. Growing up entails taking responsibility. Then again, with the civil service mindset in which it is to "siam responsibility" and "its not my fault, its your fault" kind of blame pushing - taking responsibility in the civil service is a hazardous risk to one's health - emotionally, physically and financially. So that's definitely one area to work upon. The other would be patience. Although the lessons learnt in patience will be better elaborated when I become a guest blogger on SingaporeArmyStories dot blogspot dot com. It'll be nice to put the police side into perspective at the same time. Interesting.

Canoeists - Sea off Upper East Coast Beach
While the next few posts on my blog will definitely be related to NS, as I put in some foreclosures as well as my personal musings and thoughts on the past two years. I'll elaborate a little bit about my two years so far. About our management, the various departments in the rotten base, espcially extending to the utterly useless police national service department and as well as interactions and doing various sorts of duties and the like. So I'll definitely have to push those few blog posts meant for the Fun-O-Rama of my time to a backseat for a moment - but I'll get there eventually.
Being my last day on duty, basically, the mood, was a little bit more on the celebratory side. So basically I didn't have to do anything onboard. Just *enjoy*. Hahahaha. This is like a priviledge that I'm blessed with that no one expects me to do anything. And even if I tried to do something, those onboard wouldn't let me. Oh well, its been good. Indeed, people I work with onboard are a fantastic bunch. Time flies very quickly with good, nice people onboard and I am thankful to have been spared all the nonsense that happens with regards to people-relations to those of my friends still suffering in Twenty First Century Army for the New Milliennium.

Cruise Ships Off Saint John's Island
Well, I had the chance to talk to those canoeists too. Bunch of secondary school kids attempting to row halfway round our island. They looked tired, dehydrated and sunburnt - yet very happy at the same time. The lighting was highly favourable at some parts of the day - like in the above picture. Off Saint John's Island, with all the cruise ships from Indonesia coming through at high speed.
I know I will definitely miss these sights when I ORD. Chances are, it is not everyday that I have the opportunity to meet people ON the sea, literally. Especially total strangers. And its been good. Overall I guess my only regret is that I can safely say that I have not attended to any major case, nor have I made any arrest. I have only put the handcuffs onto an accused person for a grand total of just ONE time. And that was because the accused was being brought to another place. I've only managed to make ONE conversation with an accused person while doing security escort in a police van. So funny. The best thing was that this "hardened criminal" who later got quite a severe sentence started the conversation with the words:
"How did you celebrate your mother's day".

Helmsroom - Eastern Special Purposes Anchorage
They say that the people you meet in the police force changes your views on life and perspectives on people. I agree, even though I have not met so many people... yet. I'm just glad that I did not become a police clerk to slave away in an atmosphere of politics and backstabbing and instead had the chance to do ground duties and work. Its notable that very few to no A-level certificate holders actually do ground work - most of them are automatically pushed up to become clerks. I didn't. No point also if I told people that for my two and a half years NS in the police force... I was just "a clerk" stuffed in a crummy cubicle doing paperwork. That's not a policeman. That's an "office boy". And I definitely would not have the chance to take so many pictures.
Even as I leave for good. I know that my duty sectors will change dramatically. Clifford Pier as I know it today, will no longer exist once it is shifted to its new location off Marina South. The rotten base will be shifted to Pulau Brani. Pulau Semakau, which is a land dump today - will become a nature trail haven for naturists and photographers alike. The Kallang Basin and Marina Bay as I know it will be dammed up to become a freshwater enclave for water sport activities. And I know that I won't have the pleasure to be on a small police boat that slowly makes its way up the Singapore River - from the Esplanade Flyover all the way to Jiak Kim Bridge and back again. Certainly indeed, such will be missed in the changing tides of time.

Sunset at Sentosa
Even as the sun set yesterday. I have to admit that it waas probably the 2nd most beautiful sunset that I have seen in my NS. I say 2nd most beautiful, because on the 2nd of August last year, I saw the most beautiful sunset in my whole life in this country. BUT I did not bring my camera with me. I was so filled with regrets indeed. Perhaps I might be able to describe it as a gigantic, warm glowing golden cloud that stretched literally, as far as the eye could see - from East of Singapore, all the way to the West. This cloud soaked up the warm glowing rays of the setting sun and believe me, I could feel the intense heat from the sunset. It was so warm I would liken it to be staring at a oven when an oven is opened. Utterly beautiful.
Yet yesterday sunset was the 2nd best. The clouds, sky and sun were more or less in the right position. So that's a nice way to conclude the last day shift that I will ever be on. The very last time I will ever board a police boat in my life and the very last time I will do patrol duty. Perhaps if I am a wealthy person in future, I will most certainly buy myself a medium sized cruise ship. And then I will take it out on the weekdays and sail it at 25 knots around Singapore. It'll be nice. Then again, that's just a personal dream. A boat to me, is more valuable in the experiences and the pleasure gained in steering it, than in driving a Bentley or Rolls-Royce (everyone would think that I am the driver anyway...)
Well I guess I have said enough. Now I will just let the last 3 pictures speak to you. They are among the best pictures I have taken yesterday. So in time to come, I end my National Service unoffocially tomorrow when the next duty team takes over my team from duty. I will be free officially another week or so down the road - due to some allowances to clear my leave. Half free would be a better term - since there is reservist to contend with. Then again, if I can buy my own cruise ship. I know that the reservist letter won't be coming into my letterbox for a long long time to come...

Sunset Off Sentosa

Sunset - Western Petroleum Anchorage
You should be able to make out the chimney stacks of the oil refineries on Pulau Bukom in the background.

Sunset - Western Special Purposes Anchorage

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home