Friday, January 14

Warped Musings in a 67

Warped Musings in a 67

Just threw away more than two and a half feet worth of professional film measuring 6cm in width. Its sad to chuck aside the wonderfully silk smooth negative for a square shaped medium format camera no thanks to the fact that the three decade old shutter can no longer fire! And I wasted so much money on doing some "restoration work" like hunting down for the weird odd shaped silver batteries as well as looking for someone who could actually teach me how to load the film. Its an eye opening experience I guess.

After looking through my pictures from the orientation. I honestly feel that they are quite crappy. Its like, when I view them in thumbnail form. The pictures just don't bring forth my curiosity and my interest into clicking and viewing things in a larger format. So that's the dearth. 50mm pictures are simply not good enough. There is a notable lack of superior emotion in them pictures and at the same time, a missing component of genuine, sincere smiles in the group shots. All too artificial. All too faked. Then again, I have to admit quite a number of action poses were posed shots. So they can't really count as candid or spur-of-the-moment shots.

Photography is such an expensive hobby. Especially for NSmen like me who are pepetually broke one way or another. Or maybe its just the hobby that sucks me dry of all my cash that can be better used for other activities and the like. Its like, one good ballhead is nearing 900 dollars. And its already discounted. One good medium sized tripod retails for over 800 and that's just "after discount". Not including other accesories like the tripod bag! Urgh! It makes medium format film look dirt cheap in that sense. And everytime I walk past those aisles in the camera shop. I can see my dream camera. Just sitting there. Waiting to be bought. And ah, the feeling is overpowering at times. Almost feels like a synonym of "so near and yet so far". Cheers, did anyone realise that the Canon 20D with its vertical grip looks heftier than the more professional 1D Mark II? Its like, the disparity is so obvious. Price-wise, even more. One can buy two and a half of the other. And I'm still wondering if something like that will be in my hands on my 21st. I can only hope and wait! The tension is killing me!

Ok, but I digress to say that the first song on our Singapore Idol's CD is quite nice. Not too cheesy I guess. A little bit more on the melancholic poetic side. Silly me is often drawn to sad cheesy songs rather than happier-than-thou idealism in words. Ah well. 3 months and 3 day remain before I will be set free. Before the bond will be done with. Before the burden and curse of the Enlistment Act will be lifted. Then again, I'm not technically free no thanks to something called "Reservist". Or ICT. Until then, I look forward to really "starting life afresh" on many fronts. And I know that I have alot of growing up to do.

I don't have any pictures for this post, because its just a fast one and I don't want to fire up Adobe Photoshop and edit some "fillers" between the paragraphs. Besides, I swapped my camera out with a good friend to experiment on his 6 by 6. Only to realise after all that money and time spent as well as efforts put in to look for the manual that the miserable shutter can't fire. Nevermind. The next time I use a medium format camera. It will be a Hasselblad. With a Phase One Digital Back! Er... now... Anyone has 57k to fund my nonsensical hobby? Ok, I'll glady then settle for something less - somewhere along the lines of the Mamiya 67 camera series with digital backs! Cheers! Life is full of sadness. But! Chin Up! Being a member of the arc-UDS club in the Premier Institution of Social Engineering else the Associated Institution of Social Engineering and doing coursework is far better than being a White Horse in one of the Subsidiaries of the Ministry of Defence.

Oh politics! So interesting! Philosophy's a little dry right now, but I expect it to "warm up" in due course. I won't touch the nonsense that is economics with a 600 foot pole. Anthropology looks intriguing. And I'm sure it would help me to understand the whole brouhaha that is of race/nationality/ethinicity up all the way down to "presumed Mother Tongue". What else? History! Yes! History with a focus on the Middle East as well as East Asian Studies and International Relations of the East and the West look promising too? Then again, maybe a casual read up in Romance in Literature might strike my fancy as to spouting poetic prose of things that I do not subscribe towards in real life. Love is a vagary of perception? Isn't it? Its bent and won't come home too easily...

Someone puh-lease explain to me the difference that is "Politics" and "Political Science". Almost sounds like the substraction of "Bioengineering" and "Biomedical Engineering" to me. As usual, I start the post incoherently and ramble on to some other super out of point topic. Hahaha. Is this what its called "Lateral Thinking"? And apparently its some form of "creativity"? Let me know.

One last kiss
One last touch
One last tender moment between us
One last dance
To our first song
While pretending there's nothing wrong
Let's stay here for a while and
Cherish every moment we're in denial
We both know
Its better if we just let it go


So Sweet, It is almost diabetic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home