Competitive Photography
I've been thinking about all these photography competitions and the like for a while. After much thought, I realise that I do not have the quality, the technical expertise, the standard as well as the artistic creativity to take part. Quite sad, yet at the same time, I guess even with the things each of us is good at, its likely that many others with similar interests will be far ahead of us in our talents and abilities.
I signed up for a photography competition this Saturday actually, yet after much mulling and thinking over it, I guess that I'll be another no-show and just pull out of it in its entirety. The thing is that, I dedicate some of my weekend time to the Lord as well as to have some fellowship with whatever of a celllgroup that I have. In church, its rare that I ever have a chance to meet up with them for any chance of interaction. Fleeting glances, instantaneous hi and byes as well as passing smiles are the norm.
While I won't bother to go through the "thinking process" as well as "photographic philosophy" of the camera. At the end of the day I can conclude that what experienced photographers have told me a long time ago when I started out, and that I laughed that, is actually very true. And in the context of using one's own talents wisely not just for the selfish desires of mine own heart, alas releasing it for the benefit of all around me, the truth is that it doesn't matter how many "fantastic" pictures I produce, or how many mediocre ones.
As long as I enjoy myself! Its a "hobby" that I take seriously after all, isn't it? There are more important things in life as compared to fretting over a personal hobby. So that shall be it, as much as I'd love recognition for my work and all, I guess that I'll keep it strictly to something I enjoy using to aid others in order to bring satisfaction and whatever pleasure it derives me, to myself.
Nothing much's been going since I left the City of Dreams. Its like, New York is so happening while everything here seems to be a monotony of the same kind. Kinda feels pretty dead and dying over here in terms of the action packed scene. But I guess that when we compare across cultures, its not that fair or wise to make an "informed judgement". I'm back to the daily grind of national slavery and all.
I was wandering around orchard with a few friends from the base and it was really simple - shopping. I went to my favourite photographic shop on my pay day only to realise that half of the items that I want are completely sold out and not in stock. Well, its either my favourite camera shop doesn't bring enough stock in, or that they are extremely popular. I couldn't find a battery pack as well as a handstrap. Of all things, a handstrap. Nevertheless, since its pay day, I just blew off a good amount of my pay packet on photographic accessories that I don't think I ever really need. Argh. Yet I justify to myself that its on the basis of a "hobby".
I intended to buy a tripod, just so that I could a certain somebody a requested photographic shot. Apparently, all the good tripods are extremely expensive! The top of the line ones can be bought "tripod leg by tripod leg". And they add up to a cool 2 thousand dollars. Not including the mounting ballhead of other tripod-exclusive accessories. So I guess that that particular requested shot will have to wait indeed.
At times like this when my creativity seems to be running low, I usually end up applying tried-tested and proven techniques at a different perspective in order to create something that I deem worthy of being uploaded for the viewing pleasure of other people. Instead of relying of tripod, this time its just plain brute force keeping the camera steady on the narrow edge of a guard rail. Not too bad I guess.
Night scene shots taken off Orchard Boulevard. On the overhead bridge that borders Wheelock Place. Kinda like the shots, since more once the light streaks are so much of the standardised cliched pictures that I'm so used to. Well, we'll see how things go from here.
Till then, and when creativity strikes me again, I'll keep going on, doing my best to improve and become extremely good. =D
Fly
Open up the part of you that wants to hide away
You can shine
Forget about the reasons why you can't in life
And start to try
Cuz it's your time
Time to fly
Hilary Duff - FLY
I've been thinking about all these photography competitions and the like for a while. After much thought, I realise that I do not have the quality, the technical expertise, the standard as well as the artistic creativity to take part. Quite sad, yet at the same time, I guess even with the things each of us is good at, its likely that many others with similar interests will be far ahead of us in our talents and abilities.
I signed up for a photography competition this Saturday actually, yet after much mulling and thinking over it, I guess that I'll be another no-show and just pull out of it in its entirety. The thing is that, I dedicate some of my weekend time to the Lord as well as to have some fellowship with whatever of a celllgroup that I have. In church, its rare that I ever have a chance to meet up with them for any chance of interaction. Fleeting glances, instantaneous hi and byes as well as passing smiles are the norm.
While I won't bother to go through the "thinking process" as well as "photographic philosophy" of the camera. At the end of the day I can conclude that what experienced photographers have told me a long time ago when I started out, and that I laughed that, is actually very true. And in the context of using one's own talents wisely not just for the selfish desires of mine own heart, alas releasing it for the benefit of all around me, the truth is that it doesn't matter how many "fantastic" pictures I produce, or how many mediocre ones.
As long as I enjoy myself! Its a "hobby" that I take seriously after all, isn't it? There are more important things in life as compared to fretting over a personal hobby. So that shall be it, as much as I'd love recognition for my work and all, I guess that I'll keep it strictly to something I enjoy using to aid others in order to bring satisfaction and whatever pleasure it derives me, to myself.
Nothing much's been going since I left the City of Dreams. Its like, New York is so happening while everything here seems to be a monotony of the same kind. Kinda feels pretty dead and dying over here in terms of the action packed scene. But I guess that when we compare across cultures, its not that fair or wise to make an "informed judgement". I'm back to the daily grind of national slavery and all.
I was wandering around orchard with a few friends from the base and it was really simple - shopping. I went to my favourite photographic shop on my pay day only to realise that half of the items that I want are completely sold out and not in stock. Well, its either my favourite camera shop doesn't bring enough stock in, or that they are extremely popular. I couldn't find a battery pack as well as a handstrap. Of all things, a handstrap. Nevertheless, since its pay day, I just blew off a good amount of my pay packet on photographic accessories that I don't think I ever really need. Argh. Yet I justify to myself that its on the basis of a "hobby".
I intended to buy a tripod, just so that I could a certain somebody a requested photographic shot. Apparently, all the good tripods are extremely expensive! The top of the line ones can be bought "tripod leg by tripod leg". And they add up to a cool 2 thousand dollars. Not including the mounting ballhead of other tripod-exclusive accessories. So I guess that that particular requested shot will have to wait indeed.
At times like this when my creativity seems to be running low, I usually end up applying tried-tested and proven techniques at a different perspective in order to create something that I deem worthy of being uploaded for the viewing pleasure of other people. Instead of relying of tripod, this time its just plain brute force keeping the camera steady on the narrow edge of a guard rail. Not too bad I guess.
Night scene shots taken off Orchard Boulevard. On the overhead bridge that borders Wheelock Place. Kinda like the shots, since more once the light streaks are so much of the standardised cliched pictures that I'm so used to. Well, we'll see how things go from here.
Till then, and when creativity strikes me again, I'll keep going on, doing my best to improve and become extremely good. =D
Fly
Open up the part of you that wants to hide away
You can shine
Forget about the reasons why you can't in life
And start to try
Cuz it's your time
Time to fly
Hilary Duff - FLY

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home